Sponsored by:

Spec 944 or other series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spec 944 or other series?

I've decided I'd like to get back on track. I was originally thinking I'd find a nice street car and go back to DE's since I really enjoyed them over my old SCCA racing days.
Then I noticed that for the price of a street car, I can buy a prepped 944 and get back to racing again!
944 Spec keeps the costs down (theoretically)because of the limits the car can be taken to and I like that. Plus I may only hit a few events a year and don't want a fortune tied up in yet another car I hardly use!!

Since I've run with so many of you here in the past I thought I'd get the opinions of the group before I pull the trigger on a car.

So what do you all think? I'm on their website and doing my homework. If any of you have expereince or have heard or know something about the series etc......please chime in.

TIA
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I already ran down the 944 Spec philosophy on the Spec website in response to your post there,and of course, I think it's your best option. At your price point (around $8K or less, IIRC) your options are SM, Spec E30, 944 Spec, maybe stretch to SRF. Given the low drama/high camradery priorities, and previous experience you related with SM in the SCCA, I'd say your left with SE30, and 944 Spec.

Costs are similar, and both a lot of fun. Both turn very similar lap times - SE30's has bit more power, 944's have a bit more handling. My bias is obvious. As a group, our focus tends to be on driver development, data sharing and internal coaching (fast guys helping the new guys out). I like that, and try to encourage that in each of my regional directors. I will be visiting the SE region in March at the Road Atlanta race - maybe we can meet there.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Eric, yeah I read your post over there.

I came here because I've been on RL for years (used to have a little business because of this place), actually run with quite a few guys on here before and who know me personally and made friends with, was hoping to get some unbiased opinions good bad or indifferent. Something outside a direct source if you will. I appreciate your input, just part of me doing my due diligence since it looks like I'm going back to racing as apposed to just DE'ing Thought I was done for good when I left SCCA. Just trying to make sure if I get back in, its something I want to be a part of......

RA is one of my all time favorites. Its got good and bad memories for me (when it went well, it was great. Bad days ended very badly!!) Love to come down and meet.............and race
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

There's quite a few 944 Spec guys on here, I'm surprised no one's chimed in yet, but they will. I certainly understand the desire for an "outside opinion". Rennlist certainly has no shortage of opinions!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

For the money you can't run a pcar for less. If you have a good group in your area it's hard to beat. Do not expect them to be bulletproof they have their weaknesses, they are 30 years old after all... The BMW specE30 is pretty darn cheap and impressive for the same money...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM
993inNC
Race Car

I'm surprised too Eric, you're right, there's never a shortage of opinion here. Can't believe the regulars haven't chimed in. This place loosing it's mojo?

J - that's what I keep hearing (can't run for less). I'm not a BMW guy, would like to stay Pcar but my 993 isn't the right car to track anymore. I don't know how much track time I will have time for so I don't want a fortune tied up in yet another car that doesn't see much duty. I had originally intended on just getting an inexpensive street (or mildly prep'd) street car to get back to instructing and basic DE duty.
I did always miss the true competition of racing while doing DE's, so my thinking is if I find a car around or close to my budget, why not go race again?
Trying quickly to do my best to understand what I'd be getting into.....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I did it for several years, had a lot of fun, but spent a lot of time wrenching on things to keep it going, too much to keep it fun after a while.. I started with a built car, but in some respects you start with other people's problems... If I did the 944 again I think I would get a car and build from scratch and make it perfect. Mine was just about there when I sold it as I had decided to move on. I moved to a more modern platform (specbox) but still miss it when I see the guys mixing it up. If you have the company it is hard to beat...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

spec944 is about as "cheap" as racing realistically is.....its that or lemons...but lemons is more of a circus and not filled with "real" race drivers either

If possible, see if you can rent a spec 944 and spec E30.....maybe on the same weekend....that will give you the best comparison of which platform is ideal for your needs....

However since you mentioned a dual purpose ride....E36's are becoming VERY cheap too
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by J richard
Well I did it for several years, had a lot of fun, but spent a lot of time wrenching on things to keep it going, too much to keep it fun after a while.. I started with a built car, but in some respects you start with other people's problems... If I did the 944 again I think I would get a car and build from scratch and make it perfect. Mine was just about there when I sold it as I had decided to move on. I moved to a more modern platform (specbox) but still miss it when I see the guys mixing it up. If you have the company it is hard to beat...
See and the work aspect is my other worry. One of the other reasons I got out of racing was the work to fun factor got way out of hand. Every session I was having to do something to keep on track and it just got old. I don't have a pit entourage to bring with me so I run and wrench what I brung......get's old.
I loved DE'ing my 993, I don't think I took one wrench out in all the years I ran other than to check wheel torque and even got slack with that Just ran, threw it back in the trailer and went home. And as those here that have run with me will tell you, I don't take it easy out there, drove the wheels off my car (literally!)

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
spec944 is about as "cheap" as racing realistically is.....its that or lemons...but lemons is more of a circus and not filled with "real" race drivers either

If possible, see if you can rent a spec 944 and spec E30.....maybe on the same weekend....that will give you the best comparison of which platform is ideal for your needs....

However since you mentioned a dual purpose ride....E36's are becoming VERY cheap too
I don't need a "dual purpose" car, have 3 to choose from now (sort of my wife's big issue ), just didn't consider anything else prior to this.

I don't think its an issue of liking to drive the car ('44 vs E30 or other). It's more of the question of the afore mentioned commitment to the wrenching requirements. I loved tracking my 993 but I can't spend another 30k nor would I want to, they're getting fewer by the day in the states and going back up in value. I'd like to find a well taken care of car, even if it's not necessarily the fastest, I'm looking for reliability first. I just want to go to the track, get my jollies, put it back on the trailer and go home with a big grin on my face. Most of the time I got that out of my DE experience.........very torn right now.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

944 spec is awesome- very competitive in most regions and they all push each other to be better- cant find a better group of guys to race with.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
944 spec is awesome- very competitive in most regions and they all push each other to be better- cant find a better group of guys to race with.
+1. If there are 944s in your area, you're not going to get any closer racing. Everyone one runs hard and it definitely ups your driving skills, and off the track they are some of the best guys I've EVER run with.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure about Mid-Atlantic but the PCA and NASA SP2 classes are gigantic up this way, usually getting their own split start when they run with us. The best cars/drivers can really scoot!
Van even does ok too.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The best cars/drivers can really scoot!
Van even does ok too.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't been able to do as much racing lately as I'd like to. But the various 944 series are a ton of fun. Great group of people to run with. And much less bumpin' & grindin' than some of the other Spec series.

I happen to know of someone who's leaving the area, and is going to be selling his entire "racing package"; a 944 Turbo SP3 car, with fresh motor, plenty of spares, as well as nicely appointed 24' enclosed trailer. Turn-key racing program for the mid-$20's.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

I knew you guys were out there! As the National Director, I 've travelled, and raced with most of the regions, from SoCal to Texas to the SouthEast, and they all bring the same supportive attitude to the track. We're all poor enough to really appreciate being able to do this, and work hard to support each other to keep it affordable. We also take it just one bit more seriously than LeMons, and really value developing good racecraft.

About the reliability issue. The cars are fundamentally tough, but old. Preparation is key. With a careful build, they are very robust. Neal (KLR) & I have won the Midwest endurance championship against the Miata hordes 3 years running, with a perfect record this year in a class that is typically a dozen or more cars deep. BUT - we have a good engine builder, and go over the cars carefully before each event. We've replaced all the old hoses, belts, and a lot of the wiring. At this budget level, that often does not happen, and its shows.

My advice is to "cry once". Either buy a really well sorted car, or go through it thoroughly by someone who know what they are doing. I can help point you in the direction of those who can do this for you.

Quick Reply: Spec 944 or other series?