Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec 944 or other series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The only thing I will add and it was probably stated earlier - I would hate to wreck a rental car...your own car, eh it sucks but you can stick in the garage and fix it or not fix it on your own time as you please. Still could be a good way to have fun a few times a year but I definitely would have it dialed back a bit vs my own..
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Sterling's got it all right. Most of us R-listers love to kick a dead horse, especially at this time of year.
So, I'll just keep the momentum.
As Sterl said, you've already got the truck and trailer, but from your previous avatar I also noticed that you've got a lift. Hello.
Now, from the present avatar you've tracked a very nice Carerra. That's exactly where I stepped in to racing. And my C2S was also black. And I realized that is was also bulletproof. However, I also realized that when something untoward happens, it's going to be expensive, in more ways than one. Anytime you damage a beautiful street Porsche, the resale goes down. And that includes just very minor dings, or even a track history of any kind. So, if you think you are saving money because the maintenance is low, you may be in for a rude awakening.
Lastly, since you are going to research this and come up with the ultimate deal, please keep us in the loop. We're all just dying to know what you come up with.
Very observant of you Frank (lift in the picture). Did you also notice it's colored coordinated to the color of the floor (black as part of the black red and yellow'ish orange of the German flag?)
Yes I have the lift, large compressor, welder etc.......all the regular tools to be dangerous Oh and the arms of the lift are the exact match of my Summer yellow L13 paint code 914 I'm restoring (not in the pic).

I took the 993 off the track the first time something happened (took 5 years of my abuse before something happened). I came to the realization that it was worth to much not only to me, but as a low volume model to continue to risk its life. I was however, absolutely spoiled with that car and loved every moment I drove it.

I've been on RL for almost 10 years and have made a number of personal friends here (not just web friends but person to person) as well as ran a little business because of this place for a few years (some of you may have heard of DACH).
I will indeed keep the group in the loop with where I go with this. I have heard from the one gentleman who's car sounds really good to me, hopefully over the coming days/weeks we can come to terms.

........to be continued. Feel free to carry on .............
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
The only thing I will add and it was probably stated earlier - I would hate to wreck a rental car...your own car, eh it sucks but you can stick in the garage and fix it or not fix it on your own time as you please. Still could be a good way to have fun a few times a year but I definitely would have it dialed back a bit vs my own..
Agree completely
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, good catch there Frank!

At the budget level of a Spec/Cup/SpX car, it is almost always a false economy to buy anything less than the best car you can afford. One missed weekend, and your savings have gone up in smoke (and then some). Even then, spending some money going through it is money well spent.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,032 Posts

993inNC

You shouldn't take what offense to what people are saying even when a couple jokes are thrown in because in every joke there is a little truth. For example, there are no 911 cup car amongst us ie we don't want to spend or brag about how much we spent.... We are 944 guys after all!

Second if I could give you one piece of advise and nothing else is this:
"There is no such thing as value racing. Value and racing should not be in the same sentence". The fact that we run around in circles burning up $$$ tires, fuel etc is proof enough we are all nuts with a sick obsession!

Finally there will be no form of racing that will be as reliable as your DE 993. You will have to wrench or pay someone to wrench for you. This applies to karts to cars. Just the facts. Consider yourself more than lucky that the 993 didn't have problems because that is the exception rather than the rule.

Sounds like you already have your ear to the ground on potential cars, just want to be realisti
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh no offense taken, no worries. The PS3 thing was actually pretty funny, got a laugh out of me
But I am serious in my quest to figure out what I want to do and how to do it.

Not sure I agree with the value and racing in the same sentence thing............I know I can't afford to race F1, nascar or Indy cars 944's are a bargain compared.....no?

The 993 in general are just great cars and I probably was pretty lucky. DE aside, there was no taking it easy on the car or the run group. We went out each session and hit the pavement hard and the car was flawless. The car lived a life of dual use and I really think it had something to do with its reliability. It was doing what it was built to do and loved it, never let me down. And I think the less you wrench on a car, the less you need to wrench on a car.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another good canidate here:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99093

Lots of good parts. Personally, I'd go through the motor, and put the typical oiling mods in (late baffle, cross drilled crank, Lindsey racing trap door, & new rod bearings), as well as new belts, but you could take you chances as is.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Saw that one the other night but he's way to far from me Eric. Unless you know someone in the area that could look at it for me first. Suppose if i got it right I could have it transported down instead of trying to go get it.

Just went back and re read the add. Only has a 4 pt hoop, so would need proper caging too
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Resent the PM, been traveling this week on biz and didn't see your post.
Chris
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

No worries, replied.

Quick Reply: Spec 944 or other series?