Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS and Grand AM to merge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing getting lost in the whole GA/ALMS discussion is the support series for both. Grand-Am has CTSS and the new Spec-B, ALMS has Prototype lites and IMSA 997 Challenge. What will happen to these?? They all( well, not the Spec-B class) have full fields so they wont be done away with. Will there be enough time in the weekend to keep them all?? I dont think they have enough draw to warrant giving them their own seperate dates. Dont forget that World Challenge runs with ALMS a bunch too.

Lots of big decisions coming up, lets hope the right ones are made!!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek@TRG
One thing getting lost in the whole GA/ALMS discussion is the support series for both. Grand-Am has CTSS and the new Spec-B, ALMS has Prototype lites and IMSA 997 Challenge. What will happen to these?? They all( well, not the Spec-B class) have full fields so they wont be done away with. Will there be enough time in the weekend to keep them all?? I dont think they have enough draw to warrant giving them their own seperate dates. Dont forget that World Challenge runs with ALMS a bunch too.

I agree, lots of support series questions out there.

my guess is a few go away or get merged together. what would IMSA Challenge be called?

One strategy might be to merge CTSS, WC, and Mazda MX5 together and then split the grids...so two races with 30-40 cars in it, instead of the current CTSS grid of 60 cars
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the idea of combining the WC with CTSS then splitting the grids. That would make for some great racing. I really hope they keep the GT3 Cup (type) series, I wish it got more TV time. I am hoping that with NASCAR having ownership of sports car racing for the US that we will see Speed being influenced to show more of it.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of the WC grid is (minus the GT class) is made up of CTSS cars. APR runs both CTSS ST and WC with their VW's, Compass 360 does the same with their Acuras, the non GT class Mustangs are very similar if not the same as the GS class mustangs besides the wing they run in WC. So yes, combining them could be a very realistic vision.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I personally doubt WC will get wrapped up into this whole deal too. I suspect we'll start to see them supporting the Indy cars more and not be part of the new ALMS program.

I suspect Conti will stay the same. Maybe they'll run the Ferrari and GT3 Challenge cars together as their own sprint races? That would be interesting. One thing I am pretty sure of is that we're going to see more Friday races and additional races on Saturday and Sunday morning before the big race of the day.

One article said the LMPC cars are history. I would really rather they run them with the LMPlites as a 2 car spec series.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

A bunch of the WC grid is (minus the GT class) is made up of CTSS cars. APR runs both CTSS ST and WC with their VW's, Compass 360 does the same with their Acuras, the non GT class Mustangs are very similar if not the same as the GS class mustangs besides the wing they run in WC. So yes, combining them could be a very realistic vision.
yeah I think it makes a ton of sense to combine them. both series have big grids, no reason to alienate anyone.

Originally Posted by GTgears
I personally doubt WC will get wrapped up into this whole deal too. I suspect we'll start to see them supporting the Indy cars more and not be part of the new ALMS program.

I suspect Conti will stay the same. Maybe they'll run the Ferrari and GT3 Challenge cars together as their own sprint races? That would be interesting. One thing I am pretty sure of is that we're going to see more Friday races and additional races on Saturday and Sunday morning before the big race of the day.

One article said the LMPC cars are history. I would really rather they run them with the LMPlites as a 2 car spec series.
LMPC is a bit neither fish nor foul, you could remove the spec engines and allow for some aero mods and have something close-ish to current P2 speed, or dumb it down a bit more and it could be LMP lites-ish. I'd still rather see LMPC stay and DP go, however....
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I'd still rather see LMPC stay and DP go, however....
Ditto, but I can't see the manufacturer support currently for DP allow that to happen. I like the LMP-C cars. Well-built, reasonably quick (much quicker than Lites cars, a Panoz creation) and they sound good. Costs controlled, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

ALMShas Prototype lites and IMSA 997 Challenge. What will happen to these?? They all ( well, not the Spec-B class) have full fields so they wont be done away with.

The paddock is full at VIR today... GT3 Cup, Lites, F2000 Pro, MX-5, GT, GTC, LMP-C, LMP...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I love the LMPCs. I would't shed a tear if they kept them and dropped the DPs but it's just never going to happen. As was mentioned, too much manufacturer support.

Something I've wondered about as this has all come to fruition is if GM got a premature heads up. I don't know much about the Corvette DP, but it seems coincidental for an OEM DP to come into play right on the eve of this deal.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

where's the OEM money in DP? it's really just Ford and Chevy, BMW is really a Dinan program; and I don't see Ford putting a ton of support into the series.

meanwhile ALMS prototypes have support from Mazda, Nissan, Honda as both constructor and engine supplier, and Chevy (LMPC)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

OEM for DP's is through the NASCAR connection, Roush/Yates and Hendricks engine shops. Oh, there's plenty of OEM support there. Either that or another example of NASCAR stongarming the OEM's to support "their" sports car series undercard...

Why were the new DP's badged as Corvette's? <grin>
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How far or close are the engines in P2 and DP? Size, hp?

If they're not far, who cares about saving DP, just make the engines all work in P2 and also put Riley etc. making P2 bodies/chassis.
They could be open & close cockpits but so that they look Le Mans prototypes.

You'd end up with more engines & bodies and they'd actually look like something that's not out of a shed in some countryside.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
and they'd actually look like something that's not out of a shed in some countryside.
Hahaha! SO true!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Why were the new DP's badged as Corvette's? <grin>
Bing Go!!!

That's the scary direction this could go. The NASCAR formula of sticker cars for brand identity over pure engineering and performance is my biggest fear for the prototypes....

Quick Reply: ALMS and Grand AM to merge!