Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 989 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You can wave without looking away. Try it

(I'm just trying to get to page 17 here)

On another note.... "the canard of an authority"? For the love of God, it's a car forum. Consider re-reading (because I know you have) some Hemingway or McCarthy and keep it tight. Just my opinion, merely a style note.
If we keep using big words, I'm going to need a Cliff Notes version of this thread.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm not sure if you are not reading the full posts, not understanding it, or just arguing to argue.
Uh Matt, I'm going to argue your point here.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently I was at a DE doing some data coaching. I had to bring a generator to run AC and computers/ video projector etc. I parked my trailer near the end of the paddock and placed the generator by the truck. I had a participant with a paperback novel in hand come up and ask if I was actually going to run the generator all day.

I replied that I would only use it when required, but it was hot out (and he was welcome to use the AC also). He explained he wanted a nice quiet day at the track. I was puzzled and decided to move the generator a bit to help out his day at which time he instructed me on WHERE he wanted it placed.

There are some people that I understand and some I do not. This is again one of those times.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 989 Likes on 593 Posts

I've taken a lot of naps at LRP sitting under the tree at the downhill.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Recently I was at a DE doing some data coaching. I had to bring a generator to run AC and computers/ video projector etc. I parked my trailer near the end of the paddock and placed the generator by the truck. I had a participant with a paperback novel in hand come up and ask if I was actually going to run the generator all day.

I replied that I would only use it when required, but it was hot out (and he was welcome to use the AC also). He explained he wanted a nice quiet day at the track. I was puzzled and decided to move the generator a bit to help out his day at which time he instructed me on WHERE he wanted it placed.

There are some people that I understand and some I do not. This is again one of those times.

this thread is full of win!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Nothing to do with racing. The topic was those arguing that taking a hand off the wheel and looking away from the track is not unsafe. The video is a typical distraction ... set up the canard of an authority to create an entirely separate and irrelevant debate over what ... the semantics of what words are descriptive and what words are criticism? It might be a welcome escape to try to turn the thread into a personal attack, but no, the question is those who advocate waving and their willingness to say it's safe to not bother about inconsequential matter so keeping eyes on the track.
If you can't conflate, obfuscate.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Great story Bob.

How on earth did this sort of behavior become acceptable?

But one of the funniest lines of the year has to be:

He explained he wanted a nice quiet day at the track.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if you are not reading the full posts, not understanding it, or just arguing to argue.

NO ONE IS SAYING TO TAKE THEIR EYES OFF THE TRACK.
You're suggesting you wave and the other driver is not expected to look at the cabin of your car to try to see the wave? Sounds like something else done with one hand, alone when nobody is watching.

As for who's arguing for the sake of it, each new tangent and irrelevant attempt to take this thread off the topic did not start with me.

I think you've slowly come to the realization it's impossible to advocate waving without painting yourself into the corner of advocating unsafe habits of DE drivers.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

no trying to find the babe in a bikini in the stands...
Wait, what? You lost me there.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel a haiku coming...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What's an haiku?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What's an haiku?
Worst fate of all, Doc -
Haiku humiliation.
Brave racers tremble
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
What's an haiku?
It's the nuclear option when it comes to ridicule on this forum:

Death grip on the wheel
No multi-tasking for me
To wave is to crash
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Nothing to do with racing. The topic was those arguing that taking a hand off the wheel and looking away from the track is not unsafe. The video is a typical distraction ... set up the canard of an authority to create an entirely separate and irrelevant debate over what ... the semantics of what words are descriptive and what words are criticism? It might be a welcome escape to try to turn the thread into a personal attack, but no, the question is those who advocate waving and their willingness to say it's safe to not bother about inconsequential matter so keeping eyes on the track.
You may be an English lit major, but you don't exibit any type of common sense. I was referring to your evaluation of Leh's racing video and how lock up may be..... oh nevermind.....
Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Was this person a driver or just hanging with someone who was driving?

Give them an inch and they want a yard

I can totally see this happening.

Quick Reply: Dangers on Track