Sponsored by:

Dangers on Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You still insist that turning your head away from looking at the track, tacking your hand off the wheel and trying to catch the eye of another driver to exchange a wave is okay and safe and presents no risk?
Who said anything about turning your head, establishing eye contact, and then exchanging waves?

Have you ever heard of this visual ability we have to see in the periphery of where are looking?

When someone lets me by, assuming I am not busy with steering input, shifting, or battling for position in a race, I acknowledge that with a wave or some other kind of positive hand gesture. The wave happens after I have passed them and I am in front of them. They don't have to be intently focused on me in my cockpit to notice the wave. I don't expect a wave back and don't look for one. Basically, I acknowledge the courtesy if I have the cycles and I am on a straight part of the track.

Maybe they don't even see the wave because they are busy. That's fine. This is not the interactive process you seem to think it is.

Scott
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it just me, or is this whole discussion just a bit ridiculous?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by gums
It's not just you.......

Scott
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah, it's you.

This is important stuff and should take at least four more pages to wind down.

As a minimum, it's inspired me to retrofit my cup holder. I should be able to wave without spilling my coffee now...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Sorry I didn't read all the other 120 posts before I posted, I've got a real job to do.

Please refer to the words in bold. Please quote or refer to any statisics or history to support your theory that hand waiving is or has caused accidents or bodily harm on a race surface. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. If you can back up your claim that it should be banned with scientific proof, then I'll back you all the way.

Based on your claim that you have many years of track experience and find this practice "dangerous", I would have real reservations on driving on a track with someone such as yourself. No offense. Conversly, if you find that my hand waving is too dangerous for you to be on the track with me, you should refrain from being on the track when I'm on the track as I might cause damage to you or your car.
Again you're repeating the same blather and nonsense already posted here -- "oh you can't drive and look away from the track? ... you're not fit to share the track with us real drivers. I pity you." Good grief.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Nah, it's you.

This is important stuff and should take at least four more pages to wind down.

As a minimum, it's inspired me to retrofit my cup holder. I should be able to wave without spilling my coffee now...
More of the "oh this is so beneath me" piffle. I imagine your team of support executives hang on your every command as you captain a billion dollar enterprise to record profits. I see you have an excellent Internet connection on your mega-yacht at port in Monaco.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
How do you wave? No one is saying to lock eyes and go on a little track date. We are simply saying as you blast by someone (or maybe it's slowly motor by as they lift) give them a little wave. No extra looking, no trying to find the babe in a bikini in the stands, no other funny business, just a wave.

And for your other comments about peripheal vision causing problems, you must be a little fuzzy on what it means.

Again, I'd love to hear your critique of Leh's driving at Daytona http://youtu.be/qG-2hlPPcuo?t=1m50s
But some posts here do suggest that there is no problem catching a wave out the corner of your eye. Or is the wave intended as a one-way exercise where there's no expectation the other driver is ever looking, let alone miraculously looking at exactly the same split second you raise your hand for the royal acknowledgement?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

CGT -- If you can't see that people are laughing at you, then there is more than a wave you don't see. Stop while you're behind -- this is ridiculous
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
More of the "oh this is so beneath me" piffle. I imagine your team of support executives hang on your every command as you captain a billion dollar enterprise to record profits. I see you have an excellent Internet connection on your mega-yacht at port in Monaco.
Piffle?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Wait, I take it back, this is getting good again!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
-CGT, its about situational awareness.

We all started at the same level, but some have more track time, and experience.

With that experience, you gain that situational awareness, to know what the flaggers are wearing, who is driving which car, and who is manning the starters stand.

Waiving at cars is nothing, after you have mastered the driving part.
(not unlike eating and talking on the cell phone in your daily driver. -you didn't do that when you were 16 with a learners permit.)

I have had plenty of students that have their hands completely full just keeping the car on the track, and can't focus on mirrors or point by's. -and that is just fine. We have all been there at some point.

After the session, I just explain to the other drovers.. we were working on the loose nut behind the wheel!
I like something our friend Bob Rouleau said about this:

"In most programs we describe the progress of an adult student from:

Unconscious Incompetent - doesn't know what he doesn't know

Conscious Incompetent - knows he doesn't know it all

Unconscious Competent - can do it without having to think hard about it. This person is an Instructor Candidate and the kind of racer that can focus on race-craft. The driving part is relegated to the subconscious."
Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Frank, you better not be conflating Rennlist with ridiculous
Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Conflating? BRB, gotta look that one up.....
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
CGT -- If you can't see that people are laughing at you, then there is more than a wave you don't see. Stop while you're behind -- this is ridiculous
I don't see people laughing at me so much as laughing at their own foolishness and making fools of themselves in the process of defending an indefensible position as a matter of ego, behaving in ways that they would never consider appropriate if speaking to someone in person. It's the bravery of the Web forum, the "group think" -- the proclivity to attack the person and not the topic. Imagine these same drivers standing up at the next driver's meeting and saying "okay everyone knows the flags, let's just keep it safe out there and remember to wave to thank your fellow driver for the courtesy of the point-by -- he'll be watching you like a hawk, so don't disappoint!"
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
I like something our friend Bob Rouleau said about this:

"In most programs we describe the progress of an adult student from:

Unconscious Incompetent - doesn't know what he doesn't know

Conscious Incompetent - knows he doesn't know it all

Unconscious Competent - can do it without having to think hard about it. This person is an Instructor Candidate and the kind of racer that can focus on race-craft. The driving part is relegated to the subconscious."
You forgot this one to be inserted in the third spot:

Conscious Competent - can do it but has to think about it.

Scott

Quick Reply: Dangers on Track