Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRP Club Race, I too was black flagged......

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default LRP Club Race, I too was black flagged......

for "blocking" another car in class......

I know I suck in racecraft, but can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

I have both front and rear views of the race on the video, so someone please point out the blocking so I don't get black flagged again.......

Thanks.....

Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best guess was at 10:30 in T1 with the red boxster... He went for a gap and you closed the door. imho: good, clean move, no need for a flag

also I was under the impression that blocking required 2 moves, not just shutting someone out of a corner
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Seems puzzling...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I saw the number 58 at the flagger station and I was think'n who is 58? and a couple of laps later I figured out why you hadn't lapped me yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow......I'm curious where the "Blocking" was as well. I've been in races where I've chased others lap upon lap with perceived openings slammed shut entering turns. I just chalked it up to the other drivier protecting what they have and it's my job to find a way around them.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
My best guess was at 10:30 in T1 with the red boxster... He went for a gap and you closed the door. imho: good, clean move, no need for a flag

also I was under the impression that blocking required 2 moves, not just shutting someone out of a corner
I'd say that was it also. You moved to center track from the outside exiting the downhill, then you squeezed the Boxster into T1. I heard someone else got BF'd because he ran down the center of the straight each time and as that is not a "normal line" it was considered blocking even though he only made the one move. Sounds like they are looking a lot more closely at it... and no, I don't agree you blocked anyone in that video.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I interpret blocking is if you make a second move, or change of line, after you have already established a racing line, then you are blocking. For example, if you pick the inside line all the way down the main straight, then have at it. If your competitor has enough speed to get around you on the outside, and you move back over to the racing line to prevent him from passing, then you are a blocking ****. Many people, myself included, might make a slow, wandering direction change back over to the racing line in an attempt to prevent someone from overtaking. Is this blocking? Probably (I guess this makes me a passing ****). I always figure the more subtle you are about it, the more difficult it will be for the flaggers/stewards to recognize.

In the case of the video above, DMD seems to take the wandering approach, especially as he nears the turn-in at T1...he kind of slowly closed the door. Now in DMD's defense, I don't really think the Boxster in the rear had the pass - it looks like he was trying to dive bomb or otherwise intimidate DMD, which clearly didn't happen. Just because the passing car has more speed and perhaps even the inside line, doesn't mean the corner is his. The passer's front wheel must be up to the passenger door of the car being passed. Could DMD have left him a car width at the entry of T1?? Maybe...hard to tell. ****....you don't want to give the farm away. That said, we all generally know who will leave you racing room and who will not. It is a gentleman's sport and we need to demonstrate a modicum of etiquette. If this doesn't happen, you need to put on your thinking cap and find another way around, which is the fun part.

At Limerock, you have to plan your pass at T1 starting all the way back at T3 (right hander). It has to be timed perfectly so that you are climbing up the cars rear end at track-out of the down hill. It is difficult to do and requires considerable race craft skills of the person attempting the pass. It is much easier to cry blocking than it is to construct and execute a really good pass, especially at Limerock in cars of similar horsepower.

Plus, who makes the call?? The flaggers? I suppose each one of them has a slightly different definition of blocking.

I have never heard of so many blocking calls as there were this weekend. Probably because it is difficult to pass, requires the aforementioned smarts, and drivers were getting frustrated. We can all learn from this, I suppose. I, for one, nearly bit the farm twice trying to get around on the outside of T1 because I was having a similar issue. Eventually my constant pressure forced an error and I got bye.

All good stuff -
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Drive, That is SCCA's call I presume. They are nuts. I guess next time you should use a passing signal and lift
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that from the same PCA race? If so you guys need to make your frustrations known to the local club that put on the race. It's your money, explain tactfully(or not) that there needs to be consenus among the racers and corner workers as to what constitutes blocking. It's your club, make them hear you....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Is that from the same PCA race? If so you guys need to make your frustrations known to the local club that put on the race. It's your money, explain tactfully(or not) that there needs to be consenus among the racers and corner workers as to what constitutes blocking. It's your club, make them hear you....
yep, it sounds like the race steward and/or some of the corner workers were a tad overzealous in handing out blocking penalties that weekend.

either that, or they need to re-read their own rulebook.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where was the black flag station? S/F?

IMHO 10:30 is ok. Remember, rear camera is backwards... the red Boxster is taking the outside line, #58 keeps the inside line. I don't see #58 "closing the door".

Only problem I see is 12:35. You're passing a backmarker and are debating "defend the inside line" or "stay behind the slow car and get a draft". The red car stays in your draft. At S/F, you're in the middle of the track and the red boxster moves to the inside (camera left). THEN you move to the inside.

However, this occurs just before you come in so I don't think that's the *official* incident.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'd say that was it also. You moved to center track from the outside exiting the downhill, then you squeezed the Boxster into T1.
Originally Posted by danielyonker
In the case of the video above, DMD seems to take the wandering approach, especially as he nears the turn-in at T1...he kind of slowly closed the door. Now in DMD's defense, I don't really think the Boxster in the rear had the pass - it looks like he was trying to dive bomb or otherwise intimidate DMD, which clearly didn't happen. Just because the passing car has more speed and perhaps even the inside line, doesn't mean the corner is his. The passer's front wheel must be up to the passenger door of the car being passed. Could DMD have left him a car width at the entry of T1?? Maybe...hard to tell. ****....you don't want to give the farm away.
Assuming we're all talking about the same 10:30 segment of the video, I think all y'all are missing the fact that the red Boxster went to the left/outside of T1, not to the inside. Right=left and left=right in a rear facing camera, unless the image has been flipped.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
might make a slow, wandering direction change back over to the racing line in an attempt to prevent someone from overtaking. Is this blocking? Probably
In the case of the video above, DMD seems to take the wandering approach, especially as he nears the turn-in at T1... -

+1 this would be my guess.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Blocking isn't protecting and it seems the flaggers were confused between the two. That is very frustrating.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to clarify, the rear view is with a camera pointed to the rear of the car, so the boxster at 10:30 turning left in the rear camera
is actually shooting for the inside of T1 (which is a right turn)

Thank you very much for you inputs.......

Quick Reply: LRP Club Race, I too was black flagged......