Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRP Club Race, I too was black flagged......

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Blocking isn't protecting and it seems the flaggers were confused between the two. That is very frustrating.
This is probably the case. To bad. Ruined your race and attitude for a while, no doubt. I would not call anything I saw blocking.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
for "blocking" another car in class......

I know I suck in racecraft, but can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

I have both front and rear views of the race on the video, so someone please point out the blocking so I don't get black flagged again.......

Thanks.....
OK, this explains why I saw you coming back out of the pits later in the race ... didn't know you'd been black-flagged.

What surprises me is that what you did here was no different from what you did in Race 2 with me, and to be clear, I certainly didn't consider it blocking. But they didn't black flag you in Race 2 - so where's the consistency?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Total BS, and until they can figure out what IS and ISN'T blocking they had better stop yanking people off the track and ruining their race for nothing.. they owe you 1/2 a weekend, same goes for Dennis W. and anyone else pulled without reason...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody asked for my opinion, that is the beauty of forums....

In all technicality, was that blocking? No. Definetely no.

However, to be in the middle of the track does not help anybody. Doesn't help the leading driver, the chasing driver, the corner worker, the stewards, and God knows who else....

If you want to be fast, stay on the traditional line. If you want to protect, stay inside. But to be "in the middle" is neither here or there. It sends the wrong message to those officiating for the race. It says "I don't know what to do or what I am trying to accomplish".

A definitive attitude on the track will never be reprimended. Half ways, are always open for interpretation.

And finally, Paolo, my friend.... to be black flagged is one thing, but to slow down like half a mile before pit entry is a different thing. For future reference, drive your ***** to the wall all the way up to the previous 10 feet of the speed limit on the pit lane. You can have the same talk but loose 30 seconds instead of a minute giving the same infraction.

I have learned the hard way, trust me on that.

FAP
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

looks clean to me too
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like my opinion on the blocking has already been stated.

But did anybody notice the poor attention of thebcorner workers? I spectated, by the way, so got to see the same station all the time lap after lap.

In one of the first races, a white 944 either stuck a tire in the grass exiting the downhill or something broke in his car, and coasted maybe to pit entrance but on the other side of the track. So the white car is now sitting on the left side of the straight, the 'hot' side if you will (closest to the line, and right after an exit, even worse).

For one whole lap, there were no flags at the station at the downhill. One whole lap. I was truly sutnned. And a little scared.

One lap later they sort of hung a yellow flag out, not even a waving yellow.

Another lap later they threw a double yellow.

I mean WTF????? If I was the guy in the white 944 or any other driver in that heat I'd go tell the corner workers that was some pretty stupid s**t. A car stopped after the EXIT of a corner, one of the fastest corners on the track, and definitely of all the fast corners the one with limited sight. The downhill (I'm assuming here, never raced but would like to) you have to be pretty aware of the cars around you and exactly where they are. Not to mention it is a common place to go off given the many passes and little room for error in the line. Guys, the car is on the HOT side of the track after an EXIT onto the main straight? WTF were they thinking.

I'm imagining that first they to report it to the head steward/flagger, who effing thinks about it, then makes a decision, signs some papers (so, what a minutes has passed? equals one lap) then calls the corners workers to put out a friggin yellow.

All cornerworkers should be trained to MAKE AN EFFING DECISION FOR THEMSELVES at least when the situation demands it. Preferrably, all the time. I really was stunned. The proper thing to do IMO would be a red flag given the location of the car.

Anybody else notice that? That doesn't seem safe at all. I do understand that as a driver you have to be awware what's around the corner regardless. But the corner works help a lot. You can see that station before the bridge I think, ad have ample time to slow down and not be surprised, having to slow down while the weight of the car is mostly on the left rear tire. On a better note the corner workers at WGI seem to be very good.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Anyway guys, great race! I've some pictures not of all the cars unfortunately but several.

Take care!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FrenchToast:

First of all, the flagger are all volunteers.

Secondly, yes, they make their own decisions regarding waving yellows.

I think I know of the incident you are describing. The car came thorough the downhill and his throttle stuck. The driver pushed in the clutch and turned off the ignition and pulled off and coasted to a stop. I'm guessing he was pretty smooth about it and he was off track before the flaggers noticed the problem. If he's 10' off track, why would the flagger throw a waving yellows? A Waving yellow means "Danger, slow down safely, no passing". A car 10' off the track isn't a danger.

I'm guessing the flagger radioed to the Tower the car was off track (tower can see that part of the track) and the Steward didn't like what he saw so he instructed the Downhill flagger to throw a standing yellow. A few minutes later they decided to send out the tow truck to get the car and that brought out the double yellow. They probably made that decision for the reasons you stated.

In my race, we had a car go off track on the inside of the downhill section. After I came through West Bend, I saw a standing yellow. As I started the downhill, I saw the car slowly rolling/bouncing through the grass on driver's right. Next lap, still a standing yellow. 3rd lap, no flag. They assumed we'd all see the yellow on the previous lap, so we knew the car was in the grass, no need for a standing yellow. The car remained there for the remainder of the race.

This is a race. They don't just throw yellows because a car is stopped on the side of the track.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
FrenchToast:

First of all, the flagger are all volunteers.
No, they are not. They are paid professionals.

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
This is a race. They don't just throw yellows because a car is stopped on the side of the track.
When a car is sitting in the runoff area of the fastest corner on the track is in danger of being rammed it would have been the right thing to do (wave a yellow)..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by fapena
And finally, Paolo, my friend.... to be black flagged is one thing, but to slow down like half a mile before pit entry is a different thing. For future reference, drive your ***** to the wall all the way up to the previous 10 feet of the speed limit on the pit lane. You can have the same talk but loose 30 seconds instead of a minute giving the same infraction.

FAP
THIS is fantastic advice. I had to watch the video again since I apparently missed Paolo driving miss daisy for most of his black flag in lap the first time I watched.

Paolo, Fernando is spot on: you wanna get in & back out as fast as possible. Your race isn't over until you take the checker.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Fernando and Dave, point well taken........ thanks.....
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not passing judgement here, but I scanned this vid quickly and three laps in a row, at 8:30, 9:35 and 10:40, you move off the racing line a little early to defend on that Boxster who is setting you up. Not a blatant block, I'll give you a defensive line if you like. But, is there a rule in PCA that says after a certain amount of blue flagging it turns black? I'm not aware if there is, but that might explain why we're seeing a bunch of these.
In any case, persistent defense like that is going to prompt a competitor to get more and more aggressive in his passing attempt until he succeeds. Especially if he is faster. That is potentially unsafe, and for that reason, in Club Racing, after awhile one should stop the antics and allow a good pass, by a faster car. Then get on that guy's *** and take up the chase. It's called racing.
Not singling you out, Paolo, there were others that were more blatant for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

The corners DON'T make the decision on blocking, they report to the Steward and to Race Control.

Bitch at them.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a stupid question, if the boxster was faster why was he ONLY trying to pass me on turn 1?

Aren't there other locations on the track that he could have overtaken me?
Was I "blocking" the entire track?

Again, I am just trying to learn and this question is not just intended for Frank......
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that there are a lot of places to pass at Lime Rock, it is a great track to race at for that reason.
And that's exactly what he should have been doing.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I find that there are a lot of places to pass at Lime Rock, it is a great track to race at for that reason.
And that's exactly what he should have been doing.
Agreed.

Do it at the entry of the Left Hander all the time, on the right into No Name and in the MIDDLE of Big Bend frequently.

At :53 and :54 second laps with equal cars...

Quick Reply: LRP Club Race, I too was black flagged......