Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of Necksgen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Anyone heard of Necksgen?

Alternative to the HANS brand. Low profile rear, adjustable. Not sure how the 'one size fits most' works out. My main concern here would be more moving parts=more sources of failure.

http://www.necksgen.com/index.html
Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Same company that did the defnder.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Same company that did the defnder.
Is that good or bad?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

They made a nicer alternative to HANS. Similar in looks but a few key differences.

1. The tether attachments were different and that was supposed to help with offset impacts which is one of the weaknesses in HANS

2. The device was adjustable angle so it could be used in multiple seating positions, layback formula and upright cars.

3. The way it sits on the shoulders and chest is more comfortable to people who had issues in those areas with a HANS.

Downsides.

The part that comes down the chest sits very high and interferes with the bottom of the helmet. An issue in formula cars, people with barrel chests and those with short necks. You couldn't look down at your dash when this happened.

The company recently quit making the Defnder, changed names and is now making something very similar. I find it hokey but I'm sure it had to do with IP issues and lawsuits with other head restraint manufacturers.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else with first-hand experience?

Any known on-going lawsuits with HANS with this model?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Defender and personally love it. From what I heard Defender was to small of a company to afford to go to trial and fight the lawsuit from HANS, so they just closed their doors.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racing916
I have a Defender and personally love it. From what I heard Defender was to small of a company to afford to go to trial and fight the lawsuit from HANS, so they just closed their doors.
Thanks. Do you have any experience with HANS as a comparison?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never used a Hans i went with the defender because it also is supposed to help in side impact protection. I believe it is a little heavier then the Hans but when you are strapped in and it is resting on your shoulders I do not really notice it. Joe is right if you have a short neck and not being able to look down, I have no issues. The NecksGen looks very close to the Defender design. If I did it all over again I would get a Hans just because they are still in business. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3Qi...yer_embedded#!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else with first-hand experience?

Any known on-going lawsuits with HANS with this model?
HANS actually sued these Necksgen guys in 2010 for patent infringement, claiming they were importing the DefNDer. They later settled the case. And now the same guys are back in the market with the same/similar product now called Necksgen.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
HANS actually sued these Necksgen guys in 2010 for patent infringement, claiming they were importing the DefNDer. They later settled the case. And now the same guys are back in the market with the same/similar product now called Necksgen.
Hmmm....this doesn't seem to bode well for the Necskgen model. However good it may be, no one wants to own a product from a defunct manufacturer.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Hmmm....this doesn't seem to bode well for the Necskgen model. However good it may be, no one wants to own a product from a defunct manufacturer.
Well, who knows. Could be that Necksgen got a very favorable settlement, basically forcing Hans to give up their case. Or it could be that the case went Hans' way and Necksgen really shouldn't be selling this product. It's all speculation right now.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well, who knows. Could be that Necksgen got a very favorable settlement, basically forcing Hans to give up their case. Or it could be that the case went Hans' way and Necksgen really shouldn't be selling this product. It's all speculation right now.
Quite true. But if it's the latter, then obviously not a product I'd be rushing to purchase. Would this info be public record?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Quite true. But if it's the latter, then obviously not a product I'd be rushing to purchase. Would this info be public record?
No, we can only speculate. Personally, I have absolutely no idea.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Necksgen just spoke with me today. They are sending out a demo for me to play with. Once i have it and test fit it I will post more on it. I will also ask about the legal issues as well and see what info they can tell me.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long before HANS makes public another lawsuit? lol

HANS to date has had no failures or deaths/injuries from crashes resulting from having the HANS (meaning it has done its job). It works, and has the most development behind it. I'll stick to my HANS.

There are some developments to be made for some of the head movement this company (in all its forms) has tried to correct, but I don't think there is any documented injury that has resulted from it from someone wearing a HANS.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of Necksgen?