Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of Necksgen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
So, it IS public record. Thanks for the info, Eric. It is a shame that HANS is suppressing the competition/innovation. But as I said before, don't think anyone wants a product from a (soon-to-be?) defunct company and thus have no aftermarket support.
I meant that the SETTLEMENT isn't public record. But even if it was favorable to Heath, there are still 2 injunctions barring the sale of DefNder, so Necksgen seems to have an uphill battle ahead. If the Necksgen is like the DefNder (and it seems like it is), then it'll probably be off the market pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by winders
I have no clowns in this circus. Do you have your own business? Have you every sold a product that you own the patent on? You are legally required to protect that patent or you risk losing the patent....
I don't think that's quite true. They may lose the ability to get damages but I think they can still get an injunction.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, do you have any numbers yourself or is all your are doing expressing personal opinion based on other people's data? Do you have your own test sleds and measuring equipment? If you are going to discount what people have to say because they don't have their own test data in every sentence, then we all might as well shut up.

Based on the numbers I have seen posted and they get interpreted, it would seem we should all chuck our Hans Devices in the trash. The reality is that the Hans Device does work and does exactly what it was designed to do.

At our level, picking a head and neck system based on comfort is not a mistake.

Scott
You should be picking stuff based on performance when the quality of the devices performance is what saves your life.

The numbers are out there. The website that had them all compiled into a nice neat spreadsheet is gone but I know the author and will see if I can get another copy from him but it shows that all of the devices help decrease the loads. It also shows lower numbers for certain devices than others. The biggest differences were in the 30 degree, offset, impacts. HANS dropped off numerically but the others didn't do so as much (Hybrid Pro, DefNder, isaac)

A good unbiased info site is here

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_...#Web_Resources

Make an informed decision. Don't buy something because F1 uses it or that the hotshot at the track is using it. No situation is the same and it could be that some devices may be better for what you are doing.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You should be picking stuff based on performance when the quality of the devices performance is what saves your life.
I am talking about buying FIA and SFI certified head and neck systems here. You can certainly pick the certified device that is most comfortable for you and not put your life at risk.

You have an obvious bias against the Hans Device. If they were as bad as you seem to suggest, they wouldn't be certified.

Scott
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Make an informed decision. Don't buy something because F1 uses it or that the hotshot at the track is using it. No situation is the same and it could be that some devices may be better for what you are doing.
I am talking about buying FIA and SFI certified head and neck systems here. You can certainly pick the certified device that is most comfortable for you and not put your life at risk.

You have an obvious bias against the Hans Device. If they were as bad as you seem to suggest, they wouldn't be certified.

Scott
Winders - pick that wedgy and unbunch your panties. The advice here is solid. While comfort is important, safety is a better measure in choosing safety equipment.

Also, read the part where Hubbard and Downing basically wrote the SFI spec. Think it's biased some? Just becuase something is certified doesn't automatically mean it's really equal.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Winders - pick that wedgy and unbunch your panties. The advice here is solid. While comfort is important, safety is a better measure in choosing safety equipment.

Also, read the part where Hubbard and Downing basically wrote the SFI spec. Think it's biased some? Just becuase something is certified doesn't automatically mean it's really equal.
Matt,

I don't wear panties.....maybe you have some experience there, I don't.

You and Joe seem to think that the Hans Device is not safe enough. If it were not, I don't think the vast majority of drivers on the pro level would be using them.

The guys at the Club Racing level I see at the track locally mostly have the Hans Device as well. Some of them are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but many of them are pretty darn smart. Based on what you guys are saying they must all be idiots for trusting their safety to the Hans Device.

I am not saying that the Hans Device is the best product out there or that people should buy it over another product. All I am saying is that it is a fine product and you are not risking life using it. If you like some other certified product better, great. Buy it and be happy.

Scott
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Matt,

You and Joe seem to think that the Hans Device is not safe enough. If it were not, I don't think the vast majority of drivers on the pro level would be using them.

The guys at the Club Racing level I see at the track locally mostly have the Hans Device as well. Some of them are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but many of them are pretty darn smart. Based on what you guys are saying they must all be idiots for trusting their safety to the Hans Device.

I am not saying that the Hans Device is the best product out there or that people should buy it over another product. All I am saying is that it is a fine product and you are not risking life using it. If you like some other certified product better, great. Buy it and be happy.

Scott
No one has said the Hans is not a certified, functional device; Only that it's possibly not the best. Everyone should do their own research and decide what is the best for them based on their situation, car, setup, etc.

Remember, popular doesn't mean best or even good. It just means popular.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
No one has said the Hans is not a certified, functional device; Only that it's possibly not the best. Everyone should do their own research and decide what is the best for them based on their situation, car, setup, etc.

Remember, popular doesn't mean best or even good. It just means popular.
Not in so many words, they haven't. But the implication is there. The implication is that if you wouldn't choose the Hans Device if you looked at the numbers. Well, I am sure that a lot of really intelligent people, including some Pro racers, have looked at the numbers and picked the Hans Device. They must all be stupid.

I don't care which device you choose. I just find the innuendo here disturbing.

My point wasn't that the Hans Device was popular. My point was that it wouldn't be popular if it was not functional and safe. Big difference......

Scott
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Matt,

Scott
You are looking at an incredibly small part of the motorsport racing community when you are at a track like most people frequent here.

Go to the drag strip and you'll see a LOT more Safety Solutions. Go to the offroad world, same thing, stadium trucks same thing, lower level circle track, same thing.

So many of those organizations you are talking about. FIA, GrandAm, ALMS, etc. have or until recently had HANS specifically written into the rulebook. It's pretty tough to wear anything else when that is the only thing you are allowed to wear. Outside of US it is FIA only and the only FIA device until recently was the HANS.

I'm not saying HANS is bad. Never have. Actually I'm the one who points out to the HANS haters that it actually does some of things they say it doesn't do (like offset impact protection, even if it's not as good as others according to numbers). I point out that people should buy a device after learning about them and applying that knowledge to the situation that they are in car wise.

If I were racing F1, IRL , I wouldn't have a problem with a HANS. The shortcomings of the device are mitigated by the design of the car (cockpit surround) but in other car situations I feel there are better solutions right now.

HANS is a GREAT thing. They've done great things for the sport IMO. But so did the first helmet manufacturers, and 2 point seatbelts were a great step in the right direction, but being the first on the scene doesn't mean we should stop there and not continue to look for improvements on an idea.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

(ignoring winders derailment of my thread....)
Joe, please post up your impressions of the device after you've had some time to play with it. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM
huangover
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,

Jason here, I use a Hans, if you ever want to try it out at the track, let me know and you can borrow it. I'm not engineer or genius, but just about everyone in our club race uses the Hans. I am aware of some of the scrutiny that comes along with the Hans, includes the concern for side impact (although I will say that each car/seat/roll bar, window net, passenger net would all influence the effectiveness or lack of when using a Hans device). There is also some concern about the straps coming off the shoulder area if you don't strap in correctly. Since I race a street car, the side impact thing is an issue for me, makes me want to get a full containment seat or at least get some nets up... but the first thing I do when putting my helmet/hans on and strapping in is making sure the straps are over the Hans wings, and on the inside of the little lip that is on the newer Hans devices. Nothing is perfect out there, at a particular speed or angle of impact, there may be a solid argument that one device may work better than another. Having it is definitely better than not in your car (with roll bar, harnesses, etc...) but you won't find a black or white consensus here on which is the BEST.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by huangover
Ed,

Jason here, I use a Hans, if you ever want to try it out at the track, let me know and you can borrow it. I'm not engineer or genius, but just about everyone in our club race uses the Hans. I am aware of some of the scrutiny that comes along with the Hans, includes the concern for side impact (although I will say that each car/seat/roll bar, window net, passenger net would all influence the effectiveness or lack of when using a Hans device). There is also some concern about the straps coming off the shoulder area if you don't strap in correctly. Since I race a street car, the side impact thing is an issue for me, makes me want to get a full containment seat or at least get some nets up... but the first thing I do when putting my helmet/hans on and strapping in is making sure the straps are over the Hans wings, and on the inside of the little lip that is on the newer Hans devices. Nothing is perfect out there, at a particular speed or angle of impact, there may be a solid argument that one device may work better than another. Having it is definitely better than not in your car (with roll bar, harnesses, etc...) but you won't find a black or white consensus here on which is the BEST.
Hey Jason
Just to clarify, I'm in no way, shape, or form questioning the efficacy of the HANS system. Yes, it's far and away the most widely used H&N system out there, and not just on the pro level where some 'have' to use it due to guidelines.
But if other systems out there have distinct advantages in the way of not only safety, but comfort and ergonomics, then I'm all ears.

Thanks for the offer. What size/angle HANS do you have? My guess is I'm probably a size larger than you, if not also better fitted with a different angle.

BTW, 85% sure I can make it in June. Still need to 'massage' the wife
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 AM
huangover
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool man. see ya out there!

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of Necksgen?