Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the 07 Classic Duramax DRW, 100k miles and I haven't even changed brake pads yet.

I'd keep the '06.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I changed my rears at 70K, still have original fronts at 105K...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Keep the Duramax. Satisfy the 7-year vehicular itch by buying some sort of fun and relatively inexpensive daily driver. Maybe a used Boxster S or something along those lines.

Problem solved. Next question?
Keep it and run it into the ground and get something with a fart pipe on it to tool around town in. I know you dig that sound.

I can see it now. There goes Gary...................
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

This is my daily driver and I use it at work to travel to job sites, meetings, etc... that won't change. If I only used it to haul my race car around it would be one thing, but I am in it a lot. Add to that I am attracted to shiny things and you have my dilemma.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I am attracted to shiny things and you have my dilemma.
Just wash and wax your duramax more often......
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Just wash and wax your duramax more often......
That coming from a guy that just went from a Cayenne to a Hemi hooped up Jeep race SUV!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
The new F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow package is rated for 11,300 lbs. Twin turbos in a gasser v6 make a nice 420 ft/lbs of torque and you can trim one out as nice as you can afford.

Very decent gas mileage unloaded and towing gas mileage is what you would expect for a gas truck with two turbos spooling. It does keep the revs nice and low and holds gears when towing which is a nice surprise for a gas engine.
It sounds like you have the F150 Eco and tow with it. I'm curious about actual mpg (city errands, cruising at 70, towing at 60, etc.) I think the F250 is all-round the better ground-stomping tow vehicle, but as noted, it's become a tad expense to buy and to run with the risk of those delicate technology weak points -- true for all of them. I think the up-front cost-saving of the gas F250 combined with extortionate diesel prices makes the "lesser" truck the less expensive by a wide margin no matter the miles covered and mpg delta, it would take years to even break-even on the diesel. Unless you need PTO or haul serious weight (in which case, according to the tow truck operators, the trans will go out and cost a bundle anyway.) I have an '05 Excursion with 80K miles, 6.0 diesel, zero break-downs, one very noisy turbo whistling away and laggy (coked up) but there's no better vehicle on the market (really no diesel tow vehicle SUV at all on the market) so I'm not particularly motivated to go to a pickup.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I have an '05 Excursion with 80K miles, 6.0 diesel, zero break-downs, one very noisy turbo whistling away and laggy (coked up) but there's no better vehicle on the market (really no diesel tow vehicle SUV at all on the market) so I'm not particularly motivated to go to a pickup.
Ask Sean F. how he feels about his 05 Excursion diesel, he is about to write a big check and it seems (from what he tells me he has read) the motor problem is very common. If someone made a 3/4T diesel SUV now I would look hard at that, but they don't.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Truck is 6 years old, just feel like getting something else and the new diesels are more complicated, worse fuel mileage, and at a $10K premium over gas. Thinking of a GMC 2500 Denali, anyone have anything good, bad, or ugly to say about the new gasser trucks?
I have not read all the posts, but this is where I am going to be if I ever switch next. Considering the price of diesel compared to gas and the premium for a diesel engine at the show room, and the cost of repairs (I think $10K for since last August for injectors, brake line and front end work), I do not think it make sense to go diesel unless you are pulling a big gooseneck.

BTW, I use my 3500 dually to tow an 18' open aluminum trailer as the fund for enclosed went to fix the truck which sits in my drive way when not towing or going to the landfill.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an '05 Excursion with 80K miles, 6.0 diesel, zero break-downs, one very noisy turbo whistling away and laggy (coked up) but there's no better vehicle on the market (really no diesel tow vehicle SUV at all on the market) so I'm not particularly motivated to go to a pickup.
Your engine is a time bomb about to go off. The 6.0 engine is a crime.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
Your engine is a time bomb about to go off. The 6.0 engine is a crime.
I wondered how long that would take!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My needs were simple. I wanted a better tow vehicle than my aging v8 suv.

For towing my 22 foot vnose enclosed trailer. Loaded I am now at 7000lbs to 7500 depending on accessories. This falls well within the F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow pckg 11,300 lbs rating. I have an integrated brake controller and very nice towing mirrors to make towing an enclosed box much nicer.

MPG: highway loaded with family and gear cruising 70mph gets 20-23mpg so far on the trips that I have paid attention.

Around town, short trips, stop and go I am seeing an average of 14-16 which is really due to my right foot.

Towing my setup has shown 9.5-10.5 mpg

The brakes feel excellent on my truck and I have never lacked power for any occasion. I note that it is easy to brake the rear tires loose if you add boost too quickly from a stop going uphill pulling the trailer.

The 6 speed trans seems to hold a high gear and let the turbos spool up to build torque which is a huge improvement from a screaming v8 trying to get up a hill.

I drive this truck as my primary vehicle and don't have any regrets and in an F250 I would.

It sounds like you have the F150 Eco and tow with it. I'm curious about actual mpg (city errands, cruising at 70, towing at 60, etc.)
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I drive this truck as my primary vehicle and don't have any regrets and in an F250 I would.
Why is that Paul?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove an F250 (diesel and gas) and did not care for how it drove and rode. That was my personal conclusion for my needs. I simply did not need that much truck and did not want to live with the harsh ride everyday.

It certainly would tow anything you threw at it but that is not what I needed.

The F150 that I ordered has everything I want and my family loves riding in the spacious Super Crew Cab with the upgraded leather interior. It is still a Ford pickup but Ford did a pretty nice job based on a guy accustomed to Audi interiors.

If I needed to pull a 40ft goosneck I definitely would have been in the F250/F350 zone.

Why is that Paul?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just priced out a "Platinum" F150 with Ecoboost and crew cab (max tow 9,300), by the time I was done it was close to $52K! As that is in 2500 Denali range i'm going to stay with full size and GM (as full size Ford trucks ride like... trucks)... and i'm in mine about 2 hours every day.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the Duramax and going with gas, mistake?