Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not take it club racing?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i cant even watch or read about Lemons anymore. I heard about Lemons in 04 in a car mag at the Ford dealership. Finally got a chance to build a car, bought a 944 for 250 bucks from a Rennlister, built it fair, stuck to my budget. Got gigged fifteen laps because we were all PCA members - EVEN WITH **** AND BOOZE!!! Blew the head gasket, spent six hours in the pits putting the motor back together, finally got out on the track and managed 109th place before we got the curse and they seized our motor with "clunker bomb" because someone thought our car sounded like it had a supercharger. Damn balance shaft belts..... we had a blast up till that point, then decided chumpcar all the way F them hillbillys.
seriously, I cant even understand this. Even for POS cars the amount of effort to prep one for a race is huge. If someone was going to take an excavator to my car I would driving straight on the trailer and say cya! Or more to the point, I would not enter (and wont).

we race chumps, and have enough to worry about. But everyone loves their cars and no one wants to see them messed up. Yes contact happens, but its never a good thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Why not take it club racing?
I should. I was just seeing if there was a way to get more pedestrian racing in without the fear of being completely outcla$$ed.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Bring it to Chumps -- If you can find some AIV support -- then you're set.

Even if you don't and get hit with laps -- who cares if you don't care about winning
but just want to be competitive. Just subtract your penalty laps and see how you did.

The 928 is heavy(er) and has the #2/#6 rod bearing issues relative to our 944s.

Last race we had 5 x 944's out there and we were all mid-upper pack but still smoked
by the fastest of the cars.

XBOOST90 -- don't worry -- we won't let anyone touch the Dragon in Chumps.....

Mike

Flat Out Racing

Last edited by txhokie4life; 04-21-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Chump Car also has a class for real race cars without the $500 limit or AIV nonsense. Cannot "win," but same fun.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Chump Car also has a class for real race cars without the $500 limit or AIV nonsense. Cannot "win," but same fun.
+1
I ran in the "exception class" in the chump car 24 hours at Hallett 2 years ago in my spec miata. We had a great time. I had no interest in trying to make a POS race car, but couldn't pass up a 24 endurance race in my back yard.

Another local spec miata racer made a miata into a true "chump car". The stewards assessed penalty laps and then tried to claim the car at the end. The race team loaded it onto their trailer and took off before it could be claimed. Lots of hard feelings. If you show up with a beater miata with aftermarket suspension components, expect lots of scrutiny in chump car.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i had a guy at Road America call my Dragon a "spec944" - i said do you know what a spec car is???
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I can give you the skinny here, which isn't printed in the rules:

1. Lemons -- they want you to race something that should not ever ever ever be on the race track. If you work out the math, make questionable sales of "items" and get your 928/911/944 on the track under the $500 cap then you're still racing a Porsche and missing the point. Race a Studebaker or at least one of those awful mid 80's Maseratis -- see where I'm coming from?

Its considered honorable to bribe the judges or at least have a really kick *** theme with costumes tied into the car, props, half-naked girls, whatever to distract the judges from judging. Good booze works too!

Lemons hates Miatas, e30's, and Integras. These are all seemingly great platforms as per the official rules -- the unofficial insider rules are these cars are all looked down on and even if you are in the
$500 cap you are likely to get penalty laps.

The rule with lemons is race something totally stupid and you'll do fine. For later this year we're building an 84 7-series -- why? because who would race that it's stupid! And because race car.

** Hint ** Mazda MX3's and Ford Probes (which are Mazdas) have been doing extremely well. Get a Ford Probe GT and talk to Todd Reid They have been operating under the radar.

2. Chump -- more racer oriented and so less likely to get penalty laps. The competition in Chump is far higher. The advantage is 24 hours at VIR!!!!! Try taking South Bend at night at 100+ MPH!!! It's seriously like taking off from the planet.

Chump doesn't care what you sell off from the car and they have standard penalties for common upgrades, e.g. shocks, springs, sway bars, etc....

The bottom line is we like this racing because its grassroots and low cost for the track time. In any race I pass 100+ cars in the first 2 hours (some multiple times). If you want to just mess around and have fun and race something that never should be raced then go Lemons. If you are more racing oriented then go Chump. Both are great and IMHO anyone in PCA doing DE or Club Racing should consider doing one of these events at least once -- my personal suggestion is that if you can run blue group solo you can probably race in these events.

Quick Reply: Lemons Rules