Sponsored by:

HANS Feedback from the manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sliding tethers are a cheap upgrade. However, they really only pay benefits in the paddock. At race speeds, the "regular" tethers do not hinder vision in any way.
Now how the hell would a "truck slider" know something like this.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Oddly enough, I experienced last year the sliding tethers "hanging-up" in my DSR (at Gingerman, transitioning through 7-8-9 from the RH to the LH turn)... rather a bit disconcerting, and still not entirely sure if I've cured it - I'm still not entirely sure what was happening...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Now how the hell would a "truck slider" know something like this.
Hahaha! How, indeed....

Not sure what a "truck slider" is...I will take it as a badge of honor...but it's funny to see someone spew out pejoratives here in multiple threads...most of which actually describe that someone to a tee.

I have never had any issue with the "standard" tethers on track. Ever. Contrary to claims made here, they have never nor will ever hinder anyone's ability to properly scan peripherally and get visibility of all vehicles nearby (obviously, a blind spot is still a blind spot). But they are somewhat limiting in tight paddock spaces.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-10-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll admit you guys have forgotten more race knowledge than I'll ever know but I've been reading Rennlist and the Racing forum here for a long time now and these threads just don't belong.

I've seen some bad threads on Rennlist but these really take the cake.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Pot. Kettle. Black.........
I don't have a problem with Mark's posts or comments and if I did I would simply ignore them.

Try a little restraint.............in 3rd grade I was taught to turn the other cheek. Funny how simple life lessons become so complicated for some adults.

Nobody is forcing you to open these threads, much less post something.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I don't have a problem with Mark's posts or comments and if I did I would simply ignore them.

Try a little restraint.............in 3rd grade I was taught to turn the other cheek. Funny how simple life lessons become so complicated for some adults.

And just so my point, which flew right by your head previously, is clear:

I'm not sure what is worse, some of us bantering with Kibort or you bumping up his thread to complain about it.

It takes at least two to tango...........

Pot. Kettle. Black.........

Scott
Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Now, thats the type of response i like to see . Ive often thougth about it, and wondered if that was true. in theory i see its possible i wonder if it is actually a danger.

as far as what im doing with the "ring" its a non issue.
I don't think you have to wonder, people intimately familiar with fire and protecting us all from fire know it is. The only debate is how lucky do you feel in avoiding fire all together.

I still contend as many others here have, that the ring is not ok and is a seriously bad idea. And it's less of an Hans device issue and more of a belt issue. Here's why:

1. The belts are designed to lay flat. Anything that pinches them will localize stress in the belt, like tearing a peice of paper, if you pull flat on the end of a peice of paper it will actually take a pretty big load, pull at a diagonal and it rips right in two. That's why you have to do all the double wraps and the belt mfgrs are so picky about keeping them flat and not pinched. If it weren't for this you could just cross the belts left to right behind the seat and get the angle, but you can't because the wrap wouldn't be right.

2. The ring pinches the belts together to keep them on your shoulders, which are tight right to the point where you hit something. That ring will deform and open up like an oval at best, creating a bunch of slack in the belts even before they stretch, or worse cause localized stress on the belt(not the device) causing the potential for a failure (tear). So just like the patch issue there is a right and a wrong way, one that meets the recommendations of the people that designed the systems, the belts in this case, to maximize the probability of surviving a bad crash and injury so you don't have to type with a stick in your mouth.

Why compromise if you don't have to? Why start out with a less than perfect situation to start with? And I'm not talking about the old Hans, I'm talking about the way you're trying to fix the symptom not the underlying problem with the ring.

It's like those shows that show people crashing on skateboards and BMX bikes; even before the actual crash you cringe cause you already know that the kids face is going to plant it in the concrete or the guys leg is goi g to fold in places and directions it's not supposed to...you kinda know what's wrong and what's coming without a lot of analysis, something is just not right...

When guys that love to bait you into a moe like three stooges slap attack stop and voice genuine concern, I think it's time to stop and reconsider.

Anyway, no need to counter post this I can't be convinced otherwise and there's no "winning" here just think you should take your setup to a good shop and spend $20 to have it set up for you.

Be safe out there...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did the fixed tethers become unsafe? I have used my Hans with both and while I like the sliders better most often in the paddock found little issue with ether. I also seem to recall that there was some question of the safety of the sliders when they came out. I also recall that they are about the same with regards to safety acording to Hans.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Why compromise if you don't have to? Why start out with a less than perfect situation to start with?
You guys are starting to get it now. This is what he wants - the ego trip of starting with an inane and irrational premise and attempting to argue his way to people's submission.

Its simply due to an ego the size of the stadium he was in when he competed in American Gladiators.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't think you have to wonder, people intimately familiar with fire and protecting us all from fire know it is. The only debate is how lucky do you feel in avoiding fire all together.

I still contend as many others here have, that the ring is not ok and is a seriously bad idea. And it's less of an Hans device issue and more of a belt issue. Here's why:

1. The belts are designed to lay flat. Anything that pinches them will localize stress in the belt, like tearing a peice of paper, if you pull flat on the end of a peice of paper it will actually take a pretty big load, pull at a diagonal and it rips right in two. That's why you have to do all the double wraps and the belt mfgrs are so picky about keeping them flat and not pinched. If it weren't for this you could just cross the belts left to right behind the seat and get the angle, but you can't because the wrap wouldn't be right.

2. The ring pinches the belts together to keep them on your shoulders, which are tight right to the point where you hit something. That ring will deform and open up like an oval at best, creating a bunch of slack in the belts even before they stretch, or worse cause localized stress on the belt(not the device) causing the potential for a failure (tear). So just like the patch issue there is a right and a wrong way, one that meets the recommendations of the people that designed the systems, the belts in this case, to maximize the probability of surviving a bad crash and injury so you don't have to type with a stick in your mouth.

Why compromise if you don't have to? Why start out with a less than perfect situation to start with? And I'm not talking about the old Hans, I'm talking about the way you're trying to fix the symptom not the underlying problem with the ring.

It's like those shows that show people crashing on skateboards and BMX bikes; even before the actual crash you cringe cause you already know that the kids face is going to plant it in the concrete or the guys leg is goi g to fold in places and directions it's not supposed to...you kinda know what's wrong and what's coming without a lot of analysis, something is just not right...

When guys that love to bait you into a moe like three stooges slap attack stop and voice genuine concern, I think it's time to stop and reconsider.

Anyway, no need to counter post this I can't be convinced otherwise and there's no "winning" here just think you should take your setup to a good shop and spend $20 to have it set up for you.

Be safe out there...
thanks for the input.

the ring is a very weak spring that has no effect on the pinching the belts when attached. it only narrows the angle by small amout again, when removed (we did this) there is no tension change on the belts. however it did make a difference on how well the belts stay on the shoulder guide legs of the HANS.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

This.

Originally Posted by kurt M
When did the fixed tethers become unsafe? I have used my Hans with both and while I like the sliders better most often in the paddock found little issue with ether. I also seem to recall that there was some question of the safety of the sliders when they came out. I also recall that they are about the same with regards to safety acording to Hans.
i didn't know they were. Did someone suggest they were??
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hahaha! How, indeed....

Not sure what a "truck slider" is...I will take it as a badge of honor...but it's funny to see someone spew out pejoratives here in multiple threads...most of which actually describe that someone to a tee.

I have never had any issue with the "standard" tethers on track. Ever. Contrary to claims made here, they have never nor will ever hinder anyone's ability to properly scan peripherally and get visibility of all vehicles nearby (obviously, a blind spot is still a blind spot). But they are somewhat limiting in tight paddock spaces.
Totally incorrect. at speed, it is a problem and a big issue for anyone that wants to see a car that is not even in a blind spot. you wouldnt know about racing at speed, because you dont race. Hard for you to understand I know.

go back to truck sliding and have fun in your quest for self promotion.

again, small man complex is running rampant within you!

Feel better every post dont you!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This.

i didn't know they were. Did someone suggest they were??
you guys are totally hilarious. when i showed i had the old style tethers, everyone said to get with it and replace them, now that i confirm that this is true, you go back to say the original design is fine. classic! are you guys for real??? look, they bug the heck out of me and I cant see with thm connected AT SPEED, in a race! so, if HANS decided to change them out on ALL their devices , maybe it was an idea that was decided as being better.
But, im sure they should have consulted with you first!

unbelievalble! truely!

carry on . fire off a few more personal attacks to make yourself feel better about YOU!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Sliding tethers are a cheap upgrade. However, they really only pay benefits in the paddock. At race speeds, the "regular" tethers do not hinder vision in any way.
Having raced with and without them, i can clearly tell you that this is untrue.

now YOU are advocating something I feel is very dangerous. vision is paramount in racing, but remember , you dont race, and when you do, you usually are in the traps or pointing backward. blaming those around you for your misfortune. there is never a problem until there is a problem!

by the way, i found the fixed tethers are fin in the paddock going 5mph. i can use mirrors and see just fine. at speed, truely is the issue. again, if i knew anyone was racing with them, i would use that knowldge as a part of a strategy to beat them

(here is proof of this point to help those that can be helped. put hans on and fixed straps. have someone stand at your blind spot (normal mirror blind spot). then walk 4 feet forward. you wont be able to see them because you cant move your head to see them as you would if you were racing. (at speed)

hey, if you are find with this decreased vision, knock yourself out.

again, just bringing it up to help.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
And just so my point, which flew right by your head previously, is clear
You obviously missed my point that unlike you and many others, I do not have a problem with Kibort, his threads or his posts.

So it doesn't bother me in the least that someone is bumping up his threads.
I cannot say the same for you, the others I quoted in that post or a few more that cannot resist the gang pile
On top of that we have those who really want attention by reporting every single little comment that gets their panties in a wad.

Threads like this are like babysitting my sisters wild kids, and Kibort is their Great Dane running around dragging a bicycle he was tied to.

I just find it rather humorous how many of you bump up a thread just to complain about the thread existing.

I'm sure some other moderator will swoop down and stop all the fun any minute now.

Until then, carry on.....where is my popcorn?

Quick Reply: HANS Feedback from the manufacturer