4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Malaysia Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Hats off to Alonso and team for a flawless race in tough conditions and to see Perez do so well; great stuff. Hammy even had a smile on this weekend when he realised that hey 3rd is still pretty good.

JB hit the moving bolard who also managed to hit Vettel.............step up FIA.

Good fights down the field with Senna doing well. Massa, your days gotta be numbered now and Ferrari should end it for all; rip off the bandaid and move on with an up and comer.

Then theres Kimi.....only his 2nd race back and up there knocking on the podium.......superb!!!

Last edited by the flyin' scotsman; 03-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=jbossolo;9391382]Alonso may be a great driver, no doubt, but a near rookie caught up to him, and would have passed him had he not gone out himself. It'd be interesting to see what Perez would do in a top-tier car.

We may find out if he goes to Ferrari next season He is a graduate of Ferrari's development program....
Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
My point is while Alonso did a good job today he is not yet the World Champion. I have stated that I hope the Champion is decided in Austin. Having 2 different winners in the first 2 races goes to making that happen. In my opinion Alonso acted like he won the championship today. For a guy who is 5th on the all-time winners list one should expect a little more maturity.

Look at Button last week, he acted like he had been there before,which he had 3 times.

I can separate Alonso's talent from his drama filled antics off the track. Except when he whined to Ferrari about Masa's not rolling over during a race.

Spy gate,
Crash gate
Being pissy about Hamilton driving circles around him all show a lack of character.

If you do not like it you have my permission to ignore what I post. I have followed F1 since the early 70s so my opinions on the drivers are based upon watching, reading and being at Grand Prix for 40 years. I can't tell a talented driver from a hack and I know a douchebag when I see one.

Not to worry if Schumi, or Hamy or others act up I will call them out.
I am sorry that I, like others here, will not award Senior Soul Patch the Championship after today's performance.
I've been following F1 since the early 60s when I lived in Europe and first started watching the Rodriguez brothers (Ricardo & Pedro), Mario, McLaren and others, and Fernando is a great driver comfortable in the company of all the greats. Just an old man's opinion
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how long it takes for MASSA to be out of the picture

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
My point is while Alonso did a good job today he is not yet the World Champion. I have stated that I hope the Champion is decided in Austin. Having 2 different winners in the first 2 races goes to making that happen. In my opinion Alonso acted like he won the championship today. For a guy who is 5th on the all-time winners list one should expect a little more maturity.

Look at Button last week, he acted like he had been there before,which he had 3 times.

I can separate Alonso's talent from his drama filled antics off the track. Except when he whined to Ferrari about Masa's not rolling over during a race.

Spy gate,
Crash gate
Being pissy about Hamilton driving circles around him all show a lack of character.

If you do not like it you have my permission to ignore what I post. I have followed F1 since the early 70s so my opinions on the drivers are based upon watching, reading and being at Grand Prix for 40 years. I can't tell a talented driver from a hack and I know a douchebag when I see one.

Not to worry if Schumi, or Hamy or others act up I will call them out.
1) I don't think he thinks he is WDC either, he is pretty clear of that himself

2) He acted happy and excited for winning when no one expected it, including himself and his team.

3) All those incidents were a very long time ago and there are others much more deeply involved.

4) I don't need your permission for anything I general ignore you and I am actually a little surprised I am wasting my time with you now.

5) I agree 100% you CAN'T tell a talented driver from a hack.

6) Not sure you would call them out, because the poutist **** in F1 since 2010 is Hammy, did you see his face last race. What was that?

or

"Vettel calls Karthikeyan a cucumber and blames him for his poor result"

Nice to see Webbo outpacing the Seb.

On the other side of the spectrum, one of the few gentlemen in F1 is Button:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...g-karthikeyan/
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My DVR did not record the entire race due to safety cars and red flag delays, so I was unable to witness the 2012 WDC championship celebration.
I can imagine it was similar to crowds of young girls screaming when they first heard The Beatles.

That was a great season. Can't remember when the WDC was locked up on the second race.
Nothing left to do now but start looking forward to the 2013 season.

The WMSC will be meeting this week to change the F1 schedule to state that no F1 race will be allowed on a dry day.

I did enjoy the IRL season opener yesterday as a guest of Taku in the pits.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

[quote=morganabowen;9392220]
Originally Posted by jbossolo
Alonso may be a great driver, no doubt, but a near rookie caught up to him, and would have passed him had he not gone out himself. It'd be interesting to see what Perez would do in a top-tier car.

We may find out if he goes to Ferrari next season He is a graduate of Ferrari's development program....
FIFU
A mere rookie in a much better car. Alonso in a twitchy, slower car was still able to finish ahead and didn't buckle under pressure.
Hats off to the rookie though. I hope he joins Ferrari.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
My DVR did not record the entire race due to safety cars and red flag delays, so I was unable to witness the 2012 WDC championship celebration.
I can imagine it was similar to crowds of young girls screaming when they first heard The Beatles.

That was a great season. Can't remember when the WDC was locked up on the second race.
Nothing left to do now but start looking forward to the 2013 season.

The WMSC will be meeting this week to change the F1 schedule to state that no F1 race will be allowed on a dry day.

I did enjoy the IRL season opener yesterday as a guest of Taku in the pits.
You missed Ferrari and FIA getting together in the greatest coup ever to get a win.
To start, they made it rain.
Then they caused a lot of mayham with other teams, which included making drivers run off the track, run into each other, having teams take too long in the pits (Maybe even Pirelli is in it as well, after all, they are Italian).
Finally, they had another driver go off the road while he was closing in.
All this was done via remote controls.

Raj
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

The driver I'm most impressed by so far is Kimi R.
Started mid pack then was right at the back with limited time in the car and with no track time in the rain with the new untried wets.
And it may not be a donkey cart, but its sure not a McL, Red Bull, Ferrari or MB.
Its a Lotus, er, Caterham/Renault.

With Trulli and the other Finn typically circulating at the back after barley making the 107% last year. the Team either had an epiphany during the winter or KR has breathed new life into the car.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 03-26-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A mere rookie in a much better car.
Your very subjective opinion. The Sauber is not a "much better car".
And if it is, then what does that say about Ferrari?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, let's compare...

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I watched the same race where Alonso didn't put a foot wrong and team made all the right calls.
Originally Posted by Ray S
Alonso had a good drive (no mistakes) and his team had lightning fast pit stops.
Seems like we agree so far. ^^

Button did not have an unforced error. It has a judgment error on his part, which he wholly took blame for.
So you admit that it was an error. Please explain who forced him to hit the car in front of him? No one did, it was an unforced error and he freely admitted it was.

Now ferrari has to be responsible for other teams doing their job? How did Ferrari's other driver do? Same team, different driver.
Who said Ferrari is responsible for the other teams? They are in no way responsible for the other teams, but it is undeniable that they benefited in a big way from Button's crash and McLarens disastrous stops. Call it what you want (luck, good fortune, a blessing, a big break, etc) but it clearly played a role in Alonso's win.

Bottom line, Alonso didn't pass Button and Hamilton in some mind bending display of driving prowess he passed them while they were in the pits screwing up their own races. Their bad fortune was a good turn of luck for the Spaniard.

Or if you want to wash ***** you can write it this way....

Hail to the Greatest Driver in current F1!!!!!
He proves once again, how great he is. Perfect race for Alonso and Ferrari. And just in case people want to throw luck in there, there was no luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Larry,

The Rodriguez Brotherbwere like Jim Clark great.

AG it was the stupid iPad

Lewis,

The screaming was the Alonso Fanboi's and Tefosi,they just sound like teenage girls.

Also I set my DVR to end an hour later so I won't miss the ending.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Lewis, SPEED rebroadcasts the race on Tuesdays. Set your DVR for that day, it is a very eventful race that you should see in its entirety eventhough you know the results.

Congratulations to Ferrari and Alonso. He drove a brilliant race and the team performed equally as brilliant with lightning quick pit stops and made the right calls each time from the pitwall and when to bring him in. It just goes to show you what I've been saying for years, Alonso doesn't need his teammate to crash for him to win a race in a donkey cart.

Perez drove a great race, but I can't believe that the Ferrari is that much slower than the Sauber. Me suspects Alonso was on a full wet set up as he was much faster in the rain than the dry as compared to Perez.

Perez is in the Ferrari stable and is on loan to Sauber just as Massa once was. It's only a matter of time before Massa is displaced. Maybe one more race? Who knows, but Massa's head can't be right after these past two weeks.

Nevertheless, an exciting start to season. Interesting that Red Bull is struggling so much this year and Kimi is showing incredible speed. If Lotus can develop the car as the year goes on, I wouldn't be surprised to see them leap over Ferrari as the 3rd best team on grid.

Finally, Mercedes F1 has major problems. WTF, the car chews through tires within a handful of laps? They really need to redue the back of that chassis.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I don't think anyone is saying he is the best or the greatest.
So Frank, you were saying?

Hail to the Greatest Driver in current F1!!!!!
Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Alonso is BY FAR THE BEST RACER in Formula one.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fiat is showing how bad they suck at setup. It was painful to watch Alonso trying to keep that F2012 on track, so twitchy in dry and wet conditions.

Alonso is the best talent in F1, RedBull had car domination until last season, now it is McLaren's game.

Great race by Kimi and Senna.

Perez had an ok race, but he is the lucky guy on this race, tire choices and timing put him there, on dry conditions he would have been way off of the podium. Had Sauber followed what other teams did for tire choices, and no podium for the Chalupas. However, Perez is a better racer than Massa ever was, so welcome to Fiat in 2 months.

Vettel calling the Indian driver stupid, right on, it was a stupid move, where was his brain? sticking to the racing line because he's racing for last place, what an idiot.

Alonso is also one of the toughest guys to pass in F1, so catching him is meaningless, especially if he's running in 1st place with few laps to go, so thinking that w/o Perez mistake, Perez would have won is comedy, pure and good comedy.

Quick Reply: 2012 Malaysia Grand Prix