2012 Malaysia Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
This was still all good for McLaren, Lulu got good points in the drivers standings and moved past Button. Alonso is simply no threat in that car over any normal race weekend, or this season he'll be lucky to finish in the top six. Ferrari should take Massa out behind the shed and put him out of his misery ASAP.

This season is going to come down to Hamilton and Button, the only thing McLaren need to straighten out is their pit stops and strategy as it was clear watching the race that they yet again cost Lewis probably 12-15 sec on the track - he should have been battling with Fernando!!
In spite of the fact that I am Alonso fan, I agree that it will be hard for him to repeat over the rest of the season I think that he will consistently finish in the top five and a few more podiums, but he himself agrees that Ferrari does not have a winning set up. I think that overall, Hamilton is the better driver but McLaren will finish one two with one being Hamilton.

Had Perez not gone off the track, he would have been breathing down Fernando's neck to the checkered flag but catching Fernando is one thing, and passing him is another. It would have been a more exciting finish. Expect to see Perez on the podium a few more times this season and in a bright red car next season
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I can count Ferrari out as they haven't been much of a threat since Ross Brawn left, the team is now a bunch of light weights with the exception of Alonso. RB may still get the car to progress but I don't beleive they can develop a car throughout the season like MC can. Now a days you have to get out of the box with a quick car or you're done, the only two teams that have proven they can develop a slower car into a winner during the course of a season are MC and Ferrari over the past decade and unfortunately Ferrari are not that team any more. If RB was quicker than MC out of the gate I'd give tham a shot but they're not so this is McLaren's season full stop.
I think you are forgetting 2010, when Ferrari and Alonso scored the most points in 2nd 1/2 of the season. That itself is proof that Ferrari can actually develop mid-season. Will it happen this year? Not sure, depends if Ferrari decides to build a completely different suspension.
Too many things can happen. It's a long season. Neither of the top 3 teams can be discounted. The best part is, there is no domination so far like last year. I like to see the glass 1/2 full. Hopefully, there will be mixed winners all year and it will come down to the last lap of the last race, like in 2010.
I mean think about it, Vettel never lead the championship all year but won it at the last race. Who would have thought about it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Alonso...Ferrari's modern day DaVinci
Not only the best driver, but also the best engineer as well :

Oh wait, he just copied Renault...never mind. Must have had lunch with Pat Symmonds recently

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...2/865/948.html

Following Fernando Alonso's advice, Ferrari have introduced to the F2012 a concept used by their driver's former team, Renault, as long ago as 2001. Designed to make the rear end of the car stiffer, an arm (red arrow) has been added connecting the gearbox and chassis. Note also the oil radiator mounted on top of the gearbox and cooled by the second small inlet in the engine cover (blue arrow).
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To detract from Alonso's performance in Malaysia is simply flawed logic.
The '12 season has been very good so far. It seems like there is the potential to be even better than '10. (I just hope McLaren doesn't step up their game and make it another '09 or '11 - even then the Hamilton/Button battle would probably be more entertaining than last season)
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And here is Luca's present to Alonso this week.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I think you are forgetting 2010, when Ferrari and Alonso scored the most points in 2nd 1/2 of the season. That itself is proof that Ferrari can actually develop mid-season. Will it happen this year? Not sure, depends if Ferrari decides to build a completely different suspension.
Too many things can happen. It's a long season. Neither of the top 3 teams can be discounted. The best part is, there is no domination so far like last year. I like to see the glass 1/2 full. Hopefully, there will be mixed winners all year and it will come down to the last lap of the last race, like in 2010.
I mean think about it, Vettel never lead the championship all year but won it at the last race. Who would have thought about it.
Too bad one does not win the WDC by scoring more points Han others for half a season. Just like you do not win the WDC for winning the 2nd race.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Good for Perez! I saw talent in him last year from time to time but just couldnt ever put it all together. I am a fan and hope he continues on this path of strong top tens!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
And here is Luca's present to Alonso this week.

Yech!! Wonder what he gets for losing? That's one ugly M-F of a car.
I find this car more interesting for a unique Fezz. Clapton's new Plaything.
Seems to polarize opinion. I think it's a great Nouveau Retro homage to the 512BB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5ue30EB6io0
Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Too bad one does not win the WDC by scoring more points Han others for half a season. Just like you do not win the WDC for winning the 2nd race.
And, where did you see me say that? Please respond with my quotes. It is just bugging the crap out of you guys that Alonso is leading the WDC.

Last edited by RajDatta; 03-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
And, where di you see me say that? Please respond with my quotes. It is just bugging the crap out of you guys that Alonso is leading the WDC.
I have already declared Alonso the 2012 WDC. I have seen enough to know that Alonso can drive a donkey cart, in a blizzard, on deflated slicks, one hand tied around his back, talking on the cell phone, with no front wing while designing next year's Constructor's championship winning chassis and still beat the entire F1 grid.

I consider it a consolation prize for DV leading the 2010 WDC (where he scored the most second half season points of any driver in the history of humanity) and then choking (in a manner that would make Heimlich blush) in the last race of the season, thus gifting the WDC to Vettel (the latest in a long line of Faux F1 Champions)

However, I am looking forward to Sato returning to F1 in 2013
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yech!! Wonder what he gets for losing? That's one ugly M-F of a car.
I find this car more interesting for a unique Fezz. Clapton's new Plaything.
Seems to polarize opinion. I think it's a great Nouveau Retro homage to the 512BB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5ue30EB6io0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ue30EB6io0
I felt the same way as you about both these cars.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even Button doesn't consider Alonso a real threat and he's doesn't generally say things he doesn't mean!!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/76...Alonso-Concern
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Even Button doesn't consider Alonso a real threat and he's doesn't generally say things he doesn't mean!!

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/76...Alonso-Concern
Who does Jenson Button think he is?
Since when is he qualified to criticize the Greatest Driver in F1?
This will NOT go unnoticed by "you know who".
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Raj and Wayne are gonna be mad.

Button has taken what could be an awful situation and turned it into a benefit for both Lewis and himself. Lewis' attitude has gotten better since the first race in 2011. That is because of Button's attitude.

Mainly because he treats the team and co-driver as a team not like You Know Who, who thought McLaren and Hamilton was his team to do with as he wants.

I agree that Red Bull is a bigger threat that Senior Soul Patch.

I can't wait for China.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As I stated in post #145, I have already accepted DV as 2012 WDC, based on his dominance in the last race, combined with Ferrari's masterful sandbagging in the pre season and season opener.

I predict that Alonso will put his stamp on the season by winning the next 15 races, taking the last 2 off "just because".

Congratulations to the due hard Alonso RL supporters

Quick Reply: 2012 Malaysia Grand Prix