hans device. first impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
But the adjuster is not within 2.75" of the hans tail

Actually it can. We know very small discrepancies makes the hans not work. You see... you are going through this in 2012. Most of us fought this battle 10 or more years ago.

It is not the wings. Wings help but they are not the end all be all of hans function. I'll take your word on your math. Your pictures do not look like the belt paths are correct by the book but you got the ruler.

At the risk of spending more of your money and making for an even harder belt path set-up consider the double shoulder belt HNAS harness. The 3" body belt make you feel all warm and fuzzy like pre-hans and a nonhans user can drive your car like for an enduro. And the 2" hans belts hold the hans. It is the best of all workds with slightly better hans function according to Dr. Hubbard himself. Most early hans haters were quick adopters of the vastly more popular 3/2 hans belts that improved non-crash hans function.

All good points. certainly,when i put the new FAI belts in the car, ill move the adjusters down. that should help. all the angles and distances are spec to the hans, especially after reading the manual that was posted, not just the booklet that came with the device. however, that 20degree angle was curious, as I have not seen any belts installed like that.

again again again, the seat will go. it is very comfortable in my kind of odd, race car. (not normal pedal, wheel and setting distances compared to traditional cars like a BMW.... VR,,... for example) it is critical to have a good position to shift properly, have good vision and control the car. the seat is actually very imortant for control. as a safety foundation. yes, to a certain extent. the cage and belts are more important and critical in my mind. expecially in a frontal crash, where the seat is really not involved. i have a 6 pont harness and im not going forward as long as im belted in. . now, side to side, there is some seat capaibilities , but with good harnesses and strapped in properly, you are pretty nailed in . the seat obviosly has much better capability in containment, especially in roll overs and true side impact. those belts in a side impact would cut your neck off potentially without side support, and i get that.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Your safety views are completely fuched. The only thing I have to offer is stop trying to do this yourself and go to a shop that is competent in installing seats and safety gear.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Your safety views are completely fuched. The only thing I have to offer is stop trying to do this yourself and go to a shop that is competent in installing seats and safety gear.
+1
Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

your funny! the gear is properly installed. what part of the gear is not installed correctly . care to back up those careless statements.

when go through tech, it breezes through. why, becauase all the angles and distances are correct and optimal. plus its all "iinstalled" correctly using the best hardware. there is nothing wrong wtih the belt, cage or mounting of the seat. much better and stronger than most I see at the track. ive seen a lot of wrecks out tthere were shoddy workmanship compromizes safety. Ive seen pro shops, where window nets are not done really that welll. cages impede egress and ingress, as well as too many cage bars that can remove the energy absorbing and deforming capabiltiy of the chassis and cage from doing that job.

Now, if you are talking about the containment abilities of the seat, then yes.

dont confuse the use of an old seat with safety. its still safe for what it was. sure, a newer seat will be much better in the containment area, i know this,and have said it many times here.
as far as the design of the HANS, it is lacking n the older version. otherwise, they wouldnt have added those wings. anway, im got a lot of years racing under my belt with this car and its seat, and its provided adaquat saftey, but now, i ido agree its time for it to go.

now, if you wnat to debate whether a helmet dropped makes it unsafe, or that a magic marker mark on a helmet makes it a toss away, go right ahead. my car is not unsafe. yes, it can be safer, and it will be with the seat, so ,let that part of the discussion go.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

The hole gets deeper and deeper....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

lets talk about that 20 degree angle of the belts for a min. thats what i think will make the most difference, but ive never seen belts oriented like that. (see that PDF manual posted.)
thoughts?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
The hole gets deeper and deeper....
give it a rest Winders! contribute or go away.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark kibort
dont confuse the use of an old seat with safety. its still safe for what it was.
How do you expect us to have an intelligent conversation when you say things like this?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

How do you expect us to have an intelligent conversation when you say things like this?
just because i use an old seat, doesnt mean its not safe. if it wasnt safe, wouldnt he sactioning bodies deem them , unsafe?? heck, they make us change belts that are brand new after 3 years, helmets after 10, etc etc.
sure, there are SAFER set ups, but its all a matter of what you can afford. persoally, im a heck of a LOT safter in my 928 than in a 911, and for those that know other racec cars, those lambo's. hey, i race a 928 for the reason of being in a car that is much safer than my competitors. its bigger and stronger and has stronger components. racing is all risk /reward/cost. ive personallly found a platform that has a mix that i can live with.. obviously, it has proven its ability to stand up to the riggors of racing , while my competitors have lost control arms, wheels and other control components during races!
over 10 years and near 110 race days and no DNFs? Ive done some dumb things along the way, as most of us have. (not changing out the stock brake lines, for example) But, ive also learned to be safer along the way. I can build a safe race car. ive built a few of them. I know when i do it, its done right and the things I cant do like buidling cages, i leave to the pros.
no one would have a problem racing my car, cept for the seat as far as racing goes. I challenge anyone here to tell me how what ive put togehter is not safe. again, besides the age and design of the legal FAI seat.
the belts are new, the right postions , angles, anchored with big bolts , washers and double nutted, in in parts of the chassis with meat to not fail.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Yup.

I'm out. Mark has jumped the shark.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm with VR. You can only help someone when they want to be helped.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
.. I challenge anyone here to tell me how what ive put togehter is not safe.
Challenge not accepted.

Thread closed.

Best,

Quick Reply: hans device. first impression