hans device. first impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
first gen hans didnt have wings
Actually the 1st gen HANS had a closer look to the lawsuited away defender. Wings never improved the function of the device on the sled and early racer crashtest dummies lived just fine. Everyone believes the wings help belt retentions so there they are. HANS says the belts can slip off the HANS tails is fine as long as they don't slip off the collar (winged part).

I use the double shoulder belt HANS. When my 1st set expired I tried a friends scroth 3/2 HANS belts and they were not the comfort I was used to with the doubles. I think I paid 600 or more for my second set of the doubles less than a year ago but they are comfortable. 3" on body and 2" just for the HANS. Do not try them unless you got 600 bucks because you are going to like them.

While it may not seem so especially because of the rear seat holes the emergence of the belts as they come off the harness bar have a huge effect on how the HANS stays on your shoulders. There is the old generic rule of belt spacing 3" center to center iirc and a more specific formula calculated based on distance of HANS collar to the harness bar and some other details. I have it as a pdf right from HMS or FIA I can't remember. PM me if you can't find it and I'll try and dig it up.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
please take some pix of your setup. What do you mean about the shoulder belts.not going to the cross bar?

Did you purchase an older model Hans? The 650 seems to be a standard 20 deg but an older version. Do you have sliding tethers on yours? You mention ajusting the tether length. I suspect you have an older device without sliding tethers. If you have the old tethers I think you should update as they improve your ability to see side to side.
I was told yesterday if you don't have sliding tethers and they have never been changed they are out of date...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what do you guys do to keep the belts on the "runners" of the hans? the little velcro straps seem to work ok, but in leaning forward, the belts move around a lot and seems to really make the teathering ability of the straps to the helmet move around a lot. I wonder of the movement in a violent crash could actually derail the belts from the hans.

This part concerns me. You can lean forward when strapped in to your HANS?

When I'm strapped in, I feel like I'm bolted to my seat. The only things that can move are my arms, legs, and head.

And I've got the non-Hans harnesses, so it takes a little adjustment to get them in the slot, but once synched down, nothing moves.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a pic of a early hans (no wings)
if belts are falling off, theres something wrong with the seat,belt arrangement.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Mark,

Yea it does sound like something is amiss. What model did you get? All the current ones have the lips to keep the belts on top of the shoulder pads. Also only the 20degree model will work in a Porsche (unless you just upgraded to a spider ). Also the length of the tethers is very specific to the location of the mounts on the side of the helmet, they give you a precise location for installing these so the tether length shouldn't vary. I've only use HANS and like Joe said don't even notice it once the belts are all adjusted properly. If you liked the Hutchins why change? A lot of guys like the alternative devices. I was looking at the newer model of HANS with the rounded top, looks like it would be less likely to catch on stuff.

got the 650, but it was slightly used from a fellow racer that has bagged the sport. its just like the picture that was posted I noticed that the directions say, dont move the tethers, but you can change it up to 1" , but i didnt and wont do that.

the hutchenns i had was the very older model. not SFI rated.

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Mark, your geometry may be off. That will give you the feeling of loose and improper fit. The spacing between each belt and the external side belt slip containment of the belts connected to the cage is critical. Same goes for the angle of the belts to the seat eyelets and eyelets to the shoulders. And don't forget the angle of the subs in relation to the sub-eyelet. 20% angle IIRC. It would be wise to read and re-read the pamphlet that came with the Hans or check on Schroth's website.
just checked and took some pictures ill post tonight. yep, the belts are within the spec of the hans manual. 3" between the inside of the belt to the other belt.
angle without me sitting in it is horizontal, when im strapped in, about 1" higher at my shoulders, going down to the horizontal bar. just as advised in the manual.

Originally Posted by sweanders
When I bought my HANS back in 2005 (iirc) there was two version, touring cars or formula. The only difference if I understood it correctly was the neck plate angle on the HANS. Did you perhaps get the wrong version?
this was from a fellow racer in a nascar , so its the sports car model.

please take some pix of your setup. What do you mean about the shoulder belts.not going to the cross bar?

Did you purchase an older model Hans? The 650 seems to be a standard 20 deg but an older version. Do you have sliding tethers on yours? You mention ajusting the tether length. I suspect you have an older device without sliding tethers. If you have the old tethers I think you should update as they improve your ability to see side to side.
what i mean, is that the belts are just looped at the cross bar, but they can widen, as they are not fixed . i put a "D" ring around it to pinch them together a bit, but that didnt seem to help that much, but it was an improvement.

sliding tethers??? the tethers have the openings at the end and they fit on the spring loaded connector on the helmet. i dont have the quick releases. I can connect and disconnect the helmet from the tethers pretty easily with the helmet on . dont know if i have sliding tethers. dont know what that is.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I was told yesterday if you don't have sliding tethers and they have never been changed they are out of date...
uh oh? really. this sytem is only a few years old, as i was told. maybe 2007 or '08

Originally Posted by sundog
This part concerns me. You can lean forward when strapped in to your HANS?

When I'm strapped in, I feel like I'm bolted to my seat. The only things that can move are my arms, legs, and head.

And I've got the non-Hans harnesses, so it takes a little adjustment to get them in the slot, but once synched down, nothing moves.
yes, that is what is concerning me too. its not very conforting to feel that you are not locked down. what i mean , is that i can lean forward and the belts slip over the hans surface. it also seems to remove a lot of the effectiveness of the hans itself for keeping my head attached to my body in a frontal crash.
it doesnt seem safe AT all, expecially compared to the hutchens which had the best of both worlds. the helmet was attached to a sytem of straps attached to your body, and the normal belts are straped over your shoulders, with nothing getting in their way, like he hans does by design.

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
here's a pic of a early hans (no wings)
if belts are falling off, theres something wrong with the seat,belt arrangement.

Yes, thats the one i have.

Ill post some pictures of the angles, attachements and what im seening when im locked down, how i can lean forward IN the belted down mode.

you see how the early version has almost slopping down sides??? its almost opposite for how it should be designed.
in a very violent crash, this is easily going to find its way to come off the hans and leave you not only neck protected but your body would be free to move aorund alot more. side to side is important too, and that is greatly compromised with the hans set up. dont like it one bit, but ill give it a try . (not going to crash it, but will spend a race day with it and see what it feels like. maybe it will be ok)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Pictures are definateley going to help here.

If you get everything right and don't like the HANS, check out the R6. I have one and really like it.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

IMO, it is never a good idea to buy a used HANS or a used helmet.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
you see how the early version has almost slopping down sides??? its almost opposite for how it should be designed.
in a very violent crash, this is easily going to find its way to come off the hans and leave you not only neck protected but your body would be free to move aorund alot more. side to side is important too, and that is greatly compromised with the hans set up. dont like it one bit, but ill give it a try . (not going to crash it, but will spend a race day with it and see what it feels like. maybe it will be ok)
Mark,

Opposite? Really? You do know that Dr. Robert Hubbard, a professor of biomechanical engineering at Michigan State University, designed the Hans Device. Read that again: a biomechanical engineer designed the Hans Device.

Yes, the Hans Device is so badly designed that it is mandatory in Formula One.

Scott
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google sliding tethers and Hans. You have an old version with old tethers. Sounds like you are spending more time and effort hating the replacement to your loved hutchins than looking at the basic requrements of the Hans.

A lot of folks are using the Hans with little issue.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 863 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I wasn't even going to go there. That's goes without saying where my life is concerned!

Scott
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race carß
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Why is "used" unsafe? Old or outdated I can understand. We buy "used" race cars all the time. The car is the most important part of the safety system.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
I wasn't even going to go there. That's goes without saying where my life is concerned!

Scott
Exactly!

Unless you have owned the helmet or HANS since new--a total 100% closed chain of custody--you have no idea just how safe the device is. Helmets get dropped. Helmets hit roll cages in accidents. HANS devices get run over by trailers. HANS devices are involved in accidents.

Why risk it? I don't get it.

Not to mention, in this case, getting a CLEARLY ancient & hard to use HANS.

Wow.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Sliding teathers look like this:

Sliding teathers
Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Race carß

Why is "used" unsafe? Old or outdated I can understand. We buy "used" race cars all the time. The car is the most important part of the safety system.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9353579-post27.html
Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Yes, the Hans Device is so badly designed that it is mandatory in Formula One.
The safety system in your car is nothing like a formula one car.

Quick Reply: hans device. first impression