Sponsored by:

Race car brake light flasher

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race car brake light flasher

I'm playing around with a module to manipulate the brake lights with a flasher. With this module, I am able to set the brake lights to activate with an adjustable number of flashes prior to constant illumination, and adjust the flash frequency (faster flashing available with LED bulbs).

Thoughts?

Last edited by kcpaz; 11-01-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: removed brake holding feature
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

My first thought is, why?

-mike
Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like cheating
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 862 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
My first thought is, why?
Indeed! I can't think of a single good reason to do this. Why have them flash? The only reason to have the light stay on after you remove your foot from the brake is to deceive your competition. I am sure any sanctioning body would rule that illegal. It certainly is cheating in my book.

Scott
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Great idea , first they should make sure all the brakes lights work on each car, as some with three only one works
Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

As far as why? I just assumed it was common knowledge that a flashing light is more visible (especially in peripheral vision) than a constant light. Same reason emergency vehicles use flashing lights.

Last edited by kcpaz; 11-01-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by winders
Indeed! I can't think of a single good reason to do this. Why have them flash? The only reason to have the light stay on after you remove your foot from the brake is to deceive your competition. I am sure any sanctioning body would rule that illegal. It certainly is cheating in my book.

Scott
I don't see why it would be illegal as long as it's not a safety concern which it's not. I could understand if there was a delay on activation (which I would NEVER do) but there's not.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 862 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
I don't see why it would be illegal as long as it's not a safety concern which it's not. I could understand if there was a delay on activation (which I would NEVER do) but there's not.
The brake light should be on ONLY when the brake pedal is being pressed...the brake lights are not there to deceive other drivers...

Scott
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

As far as PCA, they are very clear that if the rule book doesn't say you can then you cannot.

Example: If the rule book doesn't specifically state that I can modify my brake lights then I cannot.

Edit: I have not looked at the rules to see if this is covered.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

It's not cheating until someone says you can't do it.

As far as why? I just assumed it was common knowledge that a flashing light is more visible (especially in peripheral vision) than a constant light. Same reason emergency vehicles use flashing lights. Also, it can have the effect of hiding the braking zone and brake release.
Or....you could just learn to drive better...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by winders
The brake light should be on ONLY when the brake pedal is being pressed...the brake lights are not there to deceive other drivers...

Scott
We are talking about very small delays here, not the type of thing where the brake light is being held through the entire turn. The same thing could be accomplished by a driver "dragging" the brakes a bit on corner entry or exit which I know for a fact some people do on occasion in high traffic or close quarters racing.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
spare tire
Racer

Your comment about visability is true and apt for street use but this is the racing forum. Move the post!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I assume you are trying to emulate the hard brake flashing that some of the new 2011 GT3's and other 2011-12's seem to have (I saw a new Boxster also do this) ????

Under hard braking the brake lights flash left/right in rapid sequence. (thats the way they appear to me). The difference is that they are always on, but the left / right flashing makes them more visible. You are turning them both on and off. I'm inclined to think the way that the Porsche engineers do it on the new cars makes more sense.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Okay, so after reading the NASA rules where it states...

All brake lights shall only be activated by a switch, which indicates the application of the
braking system. Brake light switches and activation systems shall function so as to
indicate the moment that the brake pedal engages the brakes. No adjustment to allow
for early signals, false signals, or late signals of braking is permitted, unless superseded
by the class rules. Additionally, this rule applies to all vehicles that utilize brake lights in
a class where brake lights are optional.

I will probably have to kill the delay at the end so I concede that point I guess, but the flashing is still valid
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So the ONLY thing this might do is annoy the competition and during the part of the cycle where the light is off you are indicating that you aren't on the brakes when you actually are. There is NO way this should stand up against any protest in any series or organization.

You want a flashing light get a rain light but don't mess with your brake lights.

This will only annoy your competitors.

Quick Reply: Race car brake light flasher