Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,066 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
This will only annoy your competitors.
So that means I can pulsate my brake pedal application when I am immediately behind you so you can feel the "tap-tap-tap" on your rear bumper and in time with the flashes?

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
So the ONLY thing this might do is annoy the competition and during the part of the cycle where the light is off you are indicating that you aren't on the brakes when you actually are. There is NO way this should stand up against any protest in any series or organization.

You want a flashing light get a rain light but don't mess with your brake lights.

This will only annoy your competitors.
If you look at the video closely, you'll see that the flash rate is so fast that the incondescent bulbs never fully discharge so there is no real "100% off time".
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

A friend has a Cayman Interseries car. At the last event I saw him at his brakes flashed - I think they are LED and flashed rather quickly. It definitely caught my eye the first time I was behind him and he hit the brakes. I would not say it was annoying or distracting and after a couple of times it was a non issue as far as I was concerned.

What I forgot to ask him was if this was done to every Cayman Interseries car.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by certz
A friend has a Cayman Interseries car. At the last event I saw him at his brakes flashed - I think they are LED and flashed rather quickly. It definitely caught my eye the first time I was behind him and he hit the brakes. I would not say it was annoying or distracting and after a couple of times it was a non issue as far as I was concerned.

I've seen in-car video that was taken behind a Cayman (probably the same one) that had what you are describing. Seemed like a good idea but apparently maybe not
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,196 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by certz

I've seen the same on a cayman (probably interseries car)...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know exactly how the newer factory cars are set up, but they have a similar system with flashing lights. Not sure why. I did not find it too distracting at the Rennsport Reunion. To me it was a big who cares.

Of course you can adjust plain old 911 brake light switches through a wide range of pedal travel.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 11-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I don't know exactly how the newer factory cars are set up, but they have a similar system with flashing lights. Not sure why. I did not find it too distracting at the Rennsport Reunion. To me it was a big who cares.

Of course you can adjust plain old 911 brake light switched through a wide range of pedal travel.
Who would do such a thing?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have seen folks with a lot of travel required before the lights come on and the opposite. Could be unintentionlal in some cases.

Tend not to have these shanigans in the races I attend.

I encourage folks to carry spare switches as I have seen them fail and/or become intermittant
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Mahler9th;8991665]I have seen folks with a lot of travel required before the lights come on and the opposite. Could be unintentional in some cases.

Tend not to have these shanigans in the races I attend.

I encourage folks to carry spare switches as I have seen them fail and/or become intermittant
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, that looks familiar, save me some paint. What in heck do you have going on with the wing, trunk mounted radiator, exhaust, black box oil cooler...?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpaz
I've seen in-car video that was taken behind a Cayman (probably the same one) that had what you are describing. Seemed like a good idea but apparently maybe not
That is nothing more than the sampling rate of the video camera not being in sync with the pulse rate of the LED tail lights, IIRC. In reality, the LED's pulse at a rate invisible to th enaked eye, but it is visible in digital videos. Look at some in car from Cup car racing...
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That is nothing more than the sampling rate of the video camera not being in sync with the pulse rate of the LED tail lights, IIRC. In reality, the LED's pulse at a rate invisible to th enaked eye, but it is visible in digital videos. Look at some in car from Cup car racing...
I know what you're talking about and I've seen it before, but that's not what I was seeing. It had a more uniformed pattern and crisp on/off.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by consolidated
Hey, that looks familiar, save me some paint. What in heck do you have going on with the wing, trunk mounted radiator, exhaust, black box oil cooler...?
Michael, I think I have some more paint lying around

The rear wing is an APR unit but the element is off in the video
The trunk has some "minor modifications"....

Intercooler and such...
Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Well as I watched the later model cups RSRs and the spyders dive into turn one at laguna I kept thinking how cool those flashing brakelights are, you have no doubt as to when they are on the binders...Not a bad idea in my opinion, obviously Porsche, BMW and merc think so too...
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM
67King
Race Car

FWIW, a friend of mine owns this company that basically sells what you are trying to do. http://safelightstore.com/

Quick Reply: Race car brake light flasher