Sponsored by:

My Spec Box getting a Deman heart transplant

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default My Spec Box getting a Deman heart transplant

Things were going well at the NCR/NER recent DE at NHMS. I put on my first red bracelet and went 'live' with instructing and truly enjoyed working with my students.

Irene and I drove the Pawxster on R1 tires the first day despite the rain! I think it's a great exercise in car control.

On the second day, I get the car warmed up and start turning up the heat on my lapping when the car suddenly lost power and started pouring smoke from the engine. I got off track very quickly and by the time I stopped on the grass the engine had stopped turning. The car then filled with smoke and I was thinking to myself, "why is this the one time I am not wearing my suit?" I bailed out of the car and then realized the smoke was coming out of the tailpipes only.

After the car stopped smoking in the pits, Kenny Conway came over to help me figure out what happened. He tried to manually crank the engine but it didn't go far before it stopped. There did not appear to be any piercing of the engine case and there were no fluids dripping. The coolant light is flashing although the reservoir is full. The smoke did smell like oil but there was so much smoke that I'm wondering if some of it was steam.

The 2.5 was equipped with an Accusump, 3rd radiator, and larger oil cooler.

Since i'm not planning on going Spec racing, I decided to give Rick Deman a call given his expertise in changing over engines in the 986. He found a 3.4 from a recently wrecked 2000 996 with 45k on the clock. Because my car has an earlier Motronic system, he has to transplant the DME/harness from another car to mine to make the 3.4 work. He is going to do the IMS bearing before installation. Others have suggested to me that we put the X51 pan and a new AOS before the motor install.

BTW, Rick's shop is really nice and he had some coooool cars in there!

I have loved the car with its 2.5 and I know I will miss it as I'm generally not a fan of power. That being said, I can't wait to drive the sucker! It's going from 201 to 296 hp and 181 to 258 tq. This Boxster is going to be pretty fast!

I'm planning on the Boxster S brakes for the front and Rick thinks I should do an LSD which I'm on board with.

The car is in Rick's shop now. I'll post more as the car nears completion.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn Dave, sounds like kitty will be one fast cat! Will she be ready for Oct 10th? What was the diagnosis for the 2.5?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

I think it's graduating from kitty to Lion!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Things were going well at the NCR/NER recent DE at NHMS. I put on my first red bracelet and went 'live' with instructing and truly enjoyed working with my students.

Irene and I drove the Pawxster on R1 tires the first day despite the rain! I think it's a great exercise in car control.

On the second day, I get the car warmed up and start turning up the heat on my lapping when the car suddenly lost power and started pouring smoke from the engine. I got off track very quickly and by the time I stopped on the grass the engine had stopped turning. The car then filled with smoke and I was thinking to myself, "why is this the one time I am not wearing my suit?" I bailed out of the car and then realized the smoke was coming out of the tailpipes only.

After the car stopped smoking in the pits, Kenny Conway came over to help me figure out what happened. He tried to manually crank the engine but it didn't go far before it stopped. There did not appear to be any piercing of the engine case and there were no fluids dripping. The coolant light is flashing although the reservoir is full. The smoke did smell like oil but there was so much smoke that I'm wondering if some of it was steam.

The 2.5 was equipped with an Accusump, 3rd radiator, and larger oil cooler.

Since i'm not planning on going Spec racing, I decided to give Rick Deman a call given his expertise in changing over engines in the 986. He found a 3.4 from a recently wrecked 2000 996 with 45k on the clock. Because my car has an earlier Motronic system, he has to transplant the DME/harness from another car to mine to make the 3.4 work. He is going to do the IMS bearing before installation. Others have suggested to me that we put the X51 pan and a new AOS before the motor install.

BTW, Rick's shop is really nice and he had some coooool cars in there!

I have loved the car with its 2.5 and I know I will miss it as I'm generally not a fan of power. That being said, I can't wait to drive the sucker! It's going from 201 to 296 hp and 181 to 258 tq. This Boxster is going to be pretty fast!

I'm planning on the Boxster S brakes for the front and Rick thinks I should do an LSD which I'm on board with.

The car is in Rick's shop now. I'll post more as the car nears completion.
So where are you going to race and in what class? You will love the 3.4, it's the way the car should have come from the factory.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Damn Dave, sounds like kitty will be one fast cat! Will she be ready for Oct 10th? What was the diagnosis for the 2.5?
No diagnosis yet. The car should be ready for NHMS and I'm holing sooner for Monticello and Group 52.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think it's graduating from kitty to Lion!
Grrrrrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by sbelles
So where are you going to race and in what class? You will love the 3.4, it's the way the car should have come from the factory.
No plans on racing....just having fun!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

lemons into lemonade! Awesome.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I have loved the car with its 2.5 and I know I will miss it as I'm generally not a fan of power........
Said the man whose other car is an Orange 997TT. Yeah, and you dont like bold colors either....

Was there a diagnosis on what failed in the 2.5, Dave?

The new old Box will be quite fun. You never should have posted this. You could have explained away the dropping lap times, newly passed/lapped paddock mates, etc., as 'acquired droving skillz'
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

famous last words
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry about the blown engine but happy about the upgrade opportunity.
Welcome to the instructor corps; you'll be a good one.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you have the deep/baffled pan on the 2.5? I'm finishing a spec box and am trying get as solid of a motor as possible, the baffled pan seems to be the first order of business. IMS upgrade, center radiator, s cooler and overdrive pulley already done...but wondering about the benefit of the accusump...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
Said the man whose other car is an Orange 997TT. Yeah, and you dont like bold colors either....

Was there a diagnosis on what failed in the 2.5, Dave?

The new old Box will be quite fun. You never should have posted this. You could have explained away the dropping lap times, newly passed/lapped paddock mates, etc., as 'acquired droving skillz'
Haha. I did think about keeping it secret.
I'm really not a big power fan but I'll have to get used to it! The TT is a really fun car but we don't like it much at the track.

No diagnosis yet on the 2.5.
Originally Posted by eric523
lemons into lemonade! Awesome.
I'll let you know how it tastes. I just hope it's not lemon koolaid.
Originally Posted by DanR
famous last words
Yeah. Agreed.
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Sorry about the blown engine but happy about the upgrade opportunity.
Welcome to the instructor corps; you'll be a good one.
Thank you Rick. It's added a different type of challenge to driving and I am liking it.
Originally Posted by J richard
Did you have the deep/baffled pan on the 2.5? I'm finishing a spec box and am trying get as solid of a motor as possible, the baffled pan seems to be the first order of business. IMS upgrade, center radiator, s cooler and overdrive pulley already done...but wondering about the benefit of the accusump...
I had the deep pan, IMS, 3rd radiator, overdrive pulley, and accusump.
I suppose even with the pill, a diaphragm, and a rubber you can still have a disaster!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

In the words of my 80 yr old mother; "poop".

I was hopping the belts and suspenders was a safe bet. Looks like I'll be going back to slaughtering a goat and throwing chicken bones on the hood and using a weji board before every run. Hopefully you get a postmortem. Keep us up on the upgrades!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the deep pan, IMS, 3rd radiator, overdrive pulley, and accusump.
I suppose even with the pill, a diaphragm, and a rubber you can still have a disaster!

I will guess the failure was a headgasket with cracked head.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

No diagnosis yet. The car should be ready for NHMS and I'm holing sooner for Monticello and Group 52.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

I was hoping to have a similar car to race against. Mine has been fairly bulletproof since I put the 3.4 in 9 years ago. Except for transmissions. On my third one of those.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I was hoping to have a similar car to race against. Mine has been fairly bulletproof since I put the 3.4 in 9 years ago. Except for transmissions. On my third one of those.
I'm on my second gearbox. The one I have now is from a 2.7.
Maybe we should plan a track meet some time.
Glad to hear your 3.4 is working out.

Quick Reply: My Spec Box getting a Deman heart transplant