Sponsored by:

Need input on brake pad alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need input on brake pad alternatives

I drive a heavy 996TT. I've been using Pagid yellows up front and Pagid blacks on the rears for a couple of seasons now. I like the long life I get from this combination but lately I've been wanting more bite. My tech suggested putting Pagid blacks up front as well, but told me the longevity would not be anywhere near what the yellows will give. I've never used any other manufacturer's pads and would like feedback from you guys that have tried all the various brands and different compounds. What would you recommend for longevity and more bite?

Is it true that PF compounds residue will eat into your wheels and paint?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I drive a heavy 996TT. I've been using Pagid yellows up front and Pagid blacks on the rears for a couple of seasons now. I like the long life I get from this combination but lately I've been wanting more bite. My tech suggested putting Pagid blacks up front as well, but told me the longevity would not be anywhere near what the yellows will give. I've never used any other manufacturer's pads and would like feedback from you guys that have tried all the various brands and different compounds. What would you recommend for longevity and more bite?

Is it true that PF compounds residue will eat into your wheels and paint?
I have never had any problems with PFC01 or 06 residue harming my wheels.

Also, with a heavy fast car like yours, consider aggressive ways to channel cooling air to your brakes, along with the usual stainless steel lines/better fluid. REALLY makes a difference. It can be as simple as using tin sniips to cut away the splash guards inboard of the rotors...
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I have the large Cup car brake ducts on my car and have been using SRF from the beginning. My turbo came with factory hard tubing brake lines. I'm using larger slotted rotors with GT3 6 piston front calipers. At this point I think a change of pads might be the only alternative.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using 19 Yellows or the higher torque 29 Yellows? The 29 Yellows are really good pads...
Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

I believe they are the 29's.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, you can add pass throughs and GT3 ducting from your front bumper to increase cooling.

I found no appreciable difference between RS19 and RS29.

Also, IMO, PFCs (both 06 and 01) have more bite than Pagid Yellows, and the 06s are awesome pads for modulation and brake release. If you want the hand of God to stop you, PFC-01 is the way to go.

-td
Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Take some weight out of the car if your ready to go to a race car. Buy a set of light weight doors and remove some interior. The 300 lbs will make a big difference. I think you have enough brakes at this point and your ABS is going to limit the decell to factory specs (approx 1.1gs). Look at your data traces and you will see ABS intrusion spikes at the current limit. BTW the initial bite is a confidence builder, but it will make it more difficult for you to improve the trailing and lighter braking efforts as you get faster on turn entry.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
, PFCs (both 06 and 01) have more bite than Pagid Yellows, and the 06s are awesome pads for modulation and brake release. If you want the hand of God to stop you, PFC-01 is the way to go.
-td
Are PFC-01's and PFC-06's endurance long life pads?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Are PFC-01's and PFC-06's endurance long life pads?
Yes, with the 06's a bit moreso.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What I didn't like about PFC was the heat they put into the caliper / rotors. Went through rotors faster and turned my front calipers dark purple. Went back to Yellows and am happy again.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Good to know, thanks for posting.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
What I didn't like about PFC was the heat they put into the caliper / rotors. Went through rotors faster and turned my front calipers dark purple. Went back to Yellows and am happy again.
When yhou say put heat in the caliper/rotor what do you mean? They boiled fluid? Or did you measure it somehow? I'd have to go back and check, but I seem to recall that both PFC06s and Pagid Yellows have a similar operating temperature, so if heat transfer is an issue it would be based on pad construction.

That beings said, in my experience, Pagids pass heat through to the caliper significantly after 1/2 a pad and at about 1/3 of a pad you have to change them out. On the other hand, PFCs are pretty consistent through the life of the pad in terms of heat, and you can run PFCs to the backing plate.

As for wear, except for the set that came with the car, I haven't ever worn a set down with any pad. Every other [track] set has heat cracked out. On this point, I haven't noticed any real difference in rotor life between Pagids or PFCs, but I haven't really paid attention either as I get around a year's worth of events (12+) on a set of non-OEM rotors (that is not cross drilled) before they crack out. [I'm running ATE rotors on the front with PFC06s.].

Not sure what the discoloration issue is. I haven't encountered that.

-td
Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have never had any problems with PFC01 or 06 residue harming my wheels.

Also, with a heavy fast car like yours, consider aggressive ways to channel cooling air to your brakes, along with the usual stainless steel lines/better fluid. REALLY makes a difference. It can be as simple as using tin sniips to cut away the splash guards inboard of the rotors...
I always wondered what the thin metal backing was for on the inside of the rotor. during rotor changes I though about removing this part but did not know if it was protecting something or helping channel air flow to the brakes...or of it was only for street cars.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry, I think you'd really like the Blacks up front. My Turbo will get them next pad change, the bite and balance should be perfect for your car.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I always wondered what the thin metal backing was for on the inside of the rotor. during rotor changes I though about removing this part but did not know if it was protecting something or helping channel air flow to the brakes...or of it was only for street cars.
Yep, mainly to keep spray & debris & dirt off the rotots in street driving. A major hindrance to any sort of air flow to the interior of the rotor, caliper, or hub in spirited track driving in warm temperatures.

Quick Reply: Need input on brake pad alternatives