Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on brake pad alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Anybody have a pic of how much of the heat shield could be removed ???
I have an 89 911 Carrera with 996TT brakes front and rear and i'm obviously getting way more front brake bias due to the size of the pistons in the front calipers and therefore more heat a well .Using Pagid RS19 front and RS14 rear does help to balance the braking but i still feel like i need more cooling in the front.I tried the 993 air deflector scoops but after braking a few off i gave up on that idea ...

Like somebody suggested i could cut off a lower portion of the heat shield to allow more cooling !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry, are you running 6 piston brakes in front? If you are I would definitely advise trying the blacks in front. I have heard of (and seen) several sets of calipers that have been purpled by PFC pads.

Where is a good place to buy the PFC pads? I'm deciding between those and doing yellows up front again.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Wanna911:
We've got a full selection of Porsche pads in stock at OG Racing. What model Porsche do you have. Let me know and I can give you a rundown of the compounds we have.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Can you send me those drawings of the GT2 heat shield?
mdrums@me.com

thanks!
Sent an email with a picture I found from someone else that had posted a pic with both.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Larry, are you running 6 piston brakes in front? If you are I would definitely advise trying the blacks in front. I have heard of (and seen) several sets of calipers that have been purpled by PFC pads.

Where is a good place to buy the PFC pads? I'm deciding between those and doing yellows up front again.
Call Mark at OG Racing. Rennlist sponsor as well as a good guy and great resource.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Anybody have a pic of how much of the heat shield could be removed ???
I have an 89 911 Carrera with 996TT brakes front and rear and i'm obviously getting way more front brake bias due to the size of the pistons in the front calipers and therefore more heat a well .Using Pagid RS19 front and RS14 rear does help to balance the braking but i still feel like i need more cooling in the front.I tried the 993 air deflector scoops but after braking a few off i gave up on that idea ...

Like somebody suggested i could cut off a lower portion of the heat shield to allow more cooling !

Cheers !
Phil
For a 996 GT2 , see here.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/...t_side_comparo
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

It doesn't look anything like mine !
Seems like i'll have a front cooling duct project happening this Winter ... lol
Either that, or if i'm lucky enough to find a dual master setup for a decent price.

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil,

The Fabcar dual MC comes up for sale from time to time on Pelican, we sold a used on there a few months back for half price....

How did you affix the 993 deflectors. We have done a few sets with the backing plate removed and the deflectors are mounted with a series of zap straps. That way if they contact anything they will just rotate up and not come off.

We also stock most Porsche pads in RS19 and RS14......

Cheers
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
It doesn't look anything like mine !
Seems like i'll have a front cooling duct project happening this Winter ... lol
Either that, or if i'm lucky enough to find a dual master setup for a decent price.

Cheers !
Phil
Yes, it's more for the 996,996GT2,996TT,986,987,997 variation of models.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

+1 on Pagid blacks all-'round. Been using them for years on my 996C2 and quite happy. Smooth braking where I want it and hard braking where I want it. Last thing I need is more bite.

Also, I don't get the comment someone made way up-thread about ABS not allowing more than 1.1g of decel?!? I routinely see in excess of 1.1g braking and my ABS is totally stock. I don't have it in front of me, but 1.4g seems to ring a bell as a typical peak reading for me (via traqmate running @ 20Hz).

On the heat/dust/rock shields question: I've always removed these completely on my last three cars going back all the way to the late 90's with no ill effects on the rubber dust-boots and no ABS sensor failures. But I guess that just means I'm easy on brakes... :-)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica

Also, I don't get the comment someone made way up-thread about ABS not allowing more than 1.1g of decel?!? I routinely see in excess of 1.1g braking and my ABS is totally stock. I don't have it in front of me, but 1.4g seems to ring a bell as a typical peak reading for me (via traqmate running @ 20Hz).

On the heat/dust/rock shields question: I've always removed these completely on my last three cars going back all the way to the late 90's with no ill effects on the rubber dust-boots and no ABS sensor failures. But I guess that just means I'm easy on brakes... :-)

Many things can effect what someone "see's" as their max g braking. On street tires 1.1 would be about right. On a stickier tire 1.4+ would be correct. As well, braking technique, braking in a banked corner, etc etc could all cause variations.

As for the shields, some people see the heat do the damage to the boots and sensors. Could be different tracks, technique, even pads. No worries, what ever works for you. Me personally, I don't remove them on the Porsche's I leave them but trim them as I feel I can still shielding the rubber n plastic stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
Phil,

The Fabcar dual MC comes up for sale from time to time on Pelican, we sold a used on there a few months back for half price....

How did you affix the 993 deflectors. We have done a few sets with the backing plate removed and the deflectors are mounted with a series of zap straps. That way if they contact anything they will just rotate up and not come off.

We also stock most Porsche pads in RS19 and RS14......

Cheers
Jeff,

I missed out on a used Fabcar dual MC setup on Pelican a few months ago,although going to RS19 fronts and RS14 rears helped the brake bias issue a bit i still get too much brakes in the front and i managed to flat spot my front tires on some occasions ...
I installed the 993 deflectors on the front arms with rubber clamps,maybe they were just installed too tight.Should i remove the front backing plates or just cut a section off the lower end where the flow from the deflectors would be aimed ?
Should you ever have another dual MC setup for an 89 911,please PM me(if you remember) of course !

Cheers !
Phil

Quick Reply: Need input on brake pad alternatives