Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently shopping for a data logger and it looks like the AIM Solo DL would be a great fit.

Before going ahead, I would like to know why I would go for the OBD vs the direct ECU hookup. I know there might be a difference in update frequency and the number of available data channels. But does that Specifically mean anything for my 2009 Carrera S with a Siemens ECU? or would both types of connection be completely equivalent in that car?

Obviously, OBD is cleaner/easier but if I loose anything, I will go with CAN/RS232.

Thanks,

T.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I believe the CAN will give you more info, but I'm sure Peter or Jerry know better.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For most every car the CAN will give you more. In some cases a LOT more.

OBD is easier but the CAN connection is just as neat. It only takes a bit more time to install.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

The CAN sampling rate (as opposed to the OBD-II CAN sampling rate) is greater and the channels more numerous. AiM recommends connection to the ECU multi-pin connector directly.

For that reason, I would recommend the Solo DL with the CAN unterminated cable kit.

For a 997.2 Carrera S, instuctions are here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...MS_102_eng.pdf

While AiM does sell an "ECU Bridge" for the SmartyCam that allows video overlay data take-off from the OBD-II J1979 connector under the dash (for that car), I don't see that option (the onboard connector) listed for the Solo DL, only for the SmartyCam.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The OBD connector is available with the DL, so it gives the same data as the ECU bridge plugged into the OBD II under the dash. That said, I'm not seeing much data available from Porsche in their OBD II connection. I did get the OBD II to work on the Porsche 997.2 that uses the Siemens ECU but can not for the Bosch unit in earlier Porsches. I am working on modifying AIM's CAN harness to add a Deutsch connector to unplug their harness when not at the track. I think the CAN connection will be the best solution
Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amso3
The OBD connector is available with the DL, so it gives the same data as the ECU bridge plugged into the OBD II under the dash. That said, I'm not seeing much data available from Porsche in their OBD II connection. I did get the OBD II to work on the Porsche 997.2 that uses the Siemens ECU but can not for the Bosch unit in earlier Porsches. I think the CAN connection will be the best solution
Sounds good, Jerry!

Is there a reason why you would want to make the ECU CAN tap removable?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter

I'm just thinking about car owners who want to install the SOLO DL for track days then remove for regular driving. If you use AIM's harness then you'd need to have it coiled up somewhere. Maybe this will not be a problem, just thinking of the end user.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Peter, I'm just thinking about car owners who want to install the SOLO DL for track days then remove for regular driving.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping someone can answer a question for me regarding the AIM SOLO. I would like to know if it's possible to view sector times on the display, or only download data to the PC to evaluate sector times? From reading the manual, it is not clear. I see there are "programmable" screens, but I can't tell if these can be used to display sector times. I hope someone can help.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mgtveloce
I would like to know if it's possible to view sector times on the display, or only download data to the PC to evaluate sector times.
Not that I can tell. You would be able to do splits as a sector time report in RS2 later, of course.

Using the ForeT (predictive lap timing) screen, which is able to update real-time due to GPS position and speed, obviates the old fashioned split displays of the early dashes.

From AiM's site: Predictive Lap Times

Arguably the best tool a driver can have for getting faster—predictive lap times. Chisel down those lap times and qualify better than you ever have before with the Solo's predictive lap timing. A constantly updating real-time display of your current lap pace. A time prediction resolved down to the hundredth of a second - and incredibly accurate. Optionally, you can display a real-time +/- from your best lap time.

HTH.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

OK thanks. I take this as a NO.

By the way, "predictive lap times", requiring looking at the device, are not going to help you get faster on a motorcycle....only hurt.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

By the way, "predictive lap times", requiring looking at the device, are not going to help you get faster on a motorcycle....only hurt.
I think it would help you get faster. You would have to pick your spots, but I would have loved to have had "predictive lap times" on my race bike lap timer when I raced.

Scott
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM
joshhanrahan
5th Gear

To answer one of the above questions...yes, the SOLO will display (real-time) sector times, but they need to be setup via GPS Manager--the SOLO does not have an option to set them while on track. We felt that it would be "cleaner" and safer to keep the split setup on the PC versus pressing the button several times while on track.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM
mgtveloce
3rd Gear

joshhanrahan,
Thanks for the reply.
I want to be able to review my sector times - but not in "real time". I want to be able to recall sector times on the device screen after returning to the pits. I don't mind setting up the sectors on the computer, and programming screens on the device ahead of time.
Can SOLO do this? I hope so, because I think it's a great answer.

Winders,
Maybe true. I'm happy to try it. In the car I think it will be great! On the bike, I try to avoid looking at anything close, as it re-focuses my attention. Currently I mount my lap timer behind my seat, as I found glancing at my times inevitably made me slower.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Currently I mount my lap timer behind my seat, as I found glancing at my times inevitably made me slower.
Yeah...that's more of discipline issue. I had to work through that and got past it.

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399