Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm a DAQ newbie but I thought that there is a difference between units. Some function at 5hz some 10hz and some hook into more GPS satilites I think. That relates to speed of data capture and its accuracy I think. Some also believe that if you don't have steering angle and throttle position you are wasting your time. I also read that faster units can capture "yaw". That means either
OBD2/CAN interface or analog inputs to the loger or your own hardwired sensors. Some dollar amount under $4k is very powerful. Tell me if I'm off my rocker. I'm dangerous now only reading about this stuff trying to get schooled in an attempt to buy only one DAQ system. If $399 gets you 80% I'll buy that. If you got spend 3 sets of tires to get there then C'est la vie.
I've always said that a Traqmate can get you 95% of pretty much any data system out there. Same can be said for the AIM Solo too.

The real key however is you and how you learn. I've seen people who cannot figure it out when looking at squiggly lines but show them a video and 5 laps later they have it figured out. And others vice versa who couldn't figure out what exactly needed to happen on the video and saw the numbers/squiggly lines and had it figured out 5 laps later.

If you are able to see what needs to be done with the data graphs then the Solo will get you more than 80% of the way there (regarding the driver). The high dollar systems start getting into the car and such but the driver is relatively simple to record and you don't need all the whizzy stuff in the beginning. If you don't need a dash replacement the Solo is a heck of a deal. I'd use it in my car but the need for a full dash moved me to a EVO4.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,076 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

<snip> It's the size of the file when it's all said and done.

They didn't like the amount of processing power needed to crunch such large files.

<snip>

you aren't missing anything in SD.

I'm not saying that HD is a waste. Just pointing out the logic that might be going on.
Me? I think HD is a waste. I have clients with recently manufactured laptops stuttering and crunching under the load of HD. I have nearly 4TB of SD and HD client video and am getting to a point where I am culling the best runs of each client and pitching the rest. It's absurd. I can easily accumulate 80 GB of raw video from the four systems that are in my car (that functions as a test bed) over a two-day weekend.

Unfortunately, the market drives this and the buzzword "HD" is a great marketing tool. If you don't have it, your stuff isn't cutting edge... I've found that the VBOX Lite SD video is as good as some competitors "HD."

I'm a DAQ newbie but I thought that there is a difference between units. Some function at 5hz some 10hz and some hook into more GPS satilites I think. That relates to speed of data capture and its accuracy I think. Some also believe that if you don't have steering angle and throttle position you are wasting your time. I also read that faster units can capture "yaw". That means either OBD2/CAN interface or analog inputs to the loger or your own hardwired sensors. Some dollar amount under $4k is very powerful. Tell me if I'm off my rocker. I'm dangerous now only reading about this stuff trying to get schooled in an attempt to buy only one DAQ system. If $399 gets you 80% I'll buy that. If you got spend 3 sets of tires to get there then C'est la vie.
Most function at 4Hz GPS sampling rate, a few at 10 Hz and a very few at 20Hz and 100Hz. Some have DGPS/WAAS functionality (http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/010...ntial2of2.html) that "hook into" earthbound base stations for greater accuracy. It's all relative. None of the this is necessary for establishing performance trends and comparing data generated by the same system from session to session, even over time.

Add video and you have steering position! <grin> While steering position an throttle position can help you derive additional information for driver and chasis engineering, it's not necessary unless you are functionin at such a high level that you're looking for tenths, IMO.

The only way to properly do yaw is through math channels and including additional validation sensors such as a gyro, steering angle sensor and calculated Ackerman angle. See http://www.auto-ware.com/setup/ack_rac.htm

Yes, you are very dangerous with what little information you have! <very big grin> but I do believe you can get 80% of what you're looking for from a $399 Solo.

Most drivers can get a TREMENDOUS amount from just long g and speed. Both are what you get with the Solo, Traqmate Basic or other simple system. The accelerometers are far more accurate than the GPS and all systems use complicated algorithms to make the GPS moreaccurate based on GPS speed measurements and accelerometer validation. THAT'S how they get to be more accurate than a 10m spread.

Smarty is $999 and can't mate with Solo. Both have some reduntant features. It makes no sense to buy the smartycam if using a solo. If you got to manual merge then solo and goproHD seem to be the hot ticket.
Smarty is $999 and CAN mate with Solo DL. What is more is that the Solo DL can embed CAN or OBD-II channel information onto the video, control the operation of the SmartyCam and sync it all AUTOMATICALLY in Race Studio 2! It makes PERFECT sense to buy a Solo DL and a SmartyCam. $1400 and you're done.

I did a manual merge with a GoPro HD and a Traqmate Basic in about 30 seconds that blew the assembled multitudes away and I won't need to take that much time after the announcement at PRI... $1100 and you're done.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm no pro, but you can make major improvements with the SOLO. I was able to take over 2 seconds out of a friends 1:25 lap using the SOLO. Having steering and throttle is better, but having speed, lat and long G, and a couple of math channels will get you 80-90% of the way there.
Yes, my experience exactly.

I've always said that a Traqmate can get you 95% of pretty much any data system out there. Same can be said for the AIM Solo too.

The real key however is you and how you learn. I've seen people who cannot figure it out when looking at squiggly lines but show them a video and 5 laps later they have it figured out. And others vice versa who couldn't figure out what exactly needed to happen on the video and saw the numbers/squiggly lines and had it figured out 5 laps later.

If you are able to see what needs to be done with the data graphs then the Solo will get you more than 80% of the way there (regarding the driver). The high dollar systems start getting into the car and such but the driver is relatively simple to record and you don't need all the whizzy stuff in the beginning. If you don't need a dash replacement the Solo is a heck of a deal.
Yep, and yep! I received four Solo's on Wednesday and two are gone already. Sold four Traqmates in the last four days, too.

I can say that video is relevant to everyone, squiggly lines less so. That said, I have taught people to use Velocity vs Distance X-Y graphs and Longitudinal G (braking and acceleration) vs Distance X-Y graphs present in each of these system's software and hardware and have gotten SECONDS off subsequent sessions after study of where they can improve.

It's not as hard as it looks, and like cars, stereo equipment, computers and home entertainment, you can become overwhelmed by the choices quickly. The bottom line is, buy SOMETHING and use it religiously.

You never know when "Flowing Brilliance" might strike on track and you want to KNOW how you did it in order to do it again...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
You never know when "Flowing Brilliance" might strike on track and you want to KNOW how you did it in order to do it again...
LOL! Thanks for the replys. I'm still waiting for brilliance. Mostly...my perishable skills flicker like a near burnt out candle. And so... getting near time to share my pain with a Driving Coach!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Smile

LOL! I'm still waiting for brilliance. Mostly...my perishable skills flicker like a near burnt out candle!
Hah!

Hey, don't sweat it. You're NOT alone!

Besides, your Driving Coach should be your friend, ally and a valuable resource, not some guy poised to give you $h!t. <grin>

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Mac here and never have problems with any of the software I've tried. AIM, Traqmate, RLC, RT, Racepack, etc.
Do you use VMWare, Parallels, Bootcamp, or something else?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I've been running Parallels successfully for AIM Race Studio, Trackvision, and Durametric.

I have not used Bootcamp since installing Parallels.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I use Boot Camp to take FULL GPU advantage of my MBP and MBA for SD and HD video comparisons and for creations of video TBL (where possible), which will crush a lot of systems. Never had an issue since 2006 across six laptops.

I use Race Studio 2, TraqStudio, Circuit Tools, Comparo, i2 Pro and RT.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter and I run the same setups shockingly macbook pro/boot camp. I think However when I do the heavy lifting video work away from the track I have a desktop that can crunch stuff faster and spits it out on a 25" screen. But I rarely have any HD stuff too. I'm a fan of smaller files personally.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter and I run the same setups shockingly macbook pro/boot camp.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

I would compare the capabilities of the Solo ($399) to the Traqmate Basic ($699) or the Traqmate Complete (with display, $999).
Has technology just moved forward to the point that the Solo is more compact (one box vs. two) and substantially cheaper? Just wondering if there is any reason the Traqmate Complete is better on a technical level.

Either way I'll go for the Solo because of the price but just curious.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Has technology just moved forward to the point that the Solo is more compact (one box vs. two) and substantially cheaper? Just wondering if there is any reason the Traqmate Complete is better on a technical level.

I'm new to data acquisition and just bought a Solo DL from Jerry. Jerry's been great.

I had been looking at devices for a long time, but was generally non-plussed by the setups. Primarily, I was researching Traqmate. I haven't used a Traqmate, but its appeals included market penetration and the fact that numerous other drivers in my region use it.

The main reason I did not buy a Traqmate is because of the hardware. To get my desired setup, I'd have to mount the sensor unit and mount the display. That's two boxes with the associated wiring, etc.

The Solo's sensor unit and display are one piece. There is one cable coming out of it for power. If I use the unit's internal battery, there are zero cables while in use. The Solo DL has one cable coming out of it to get data from the OBD, or two if I don't rely on the internal battery.

The Solo's simplicity was a big factor.

The second major factor was the Solo's price. For $699, I could get GPS based data plus OBD input.

I already owned a GoProHD so native camera integration wasn't a concern for me. Camera technology updates alot faster than data acquisition technology, so I'm not super interested in being marrying myself to the DA manufacturer's choice of camera. I use Trackvision to integrate and have been happy.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The Traqmate Complete has some options (for more $) like rpm, camera, and sensor inputs that the basic Solo lacks. The Solo is more compact, has an internal battery, and a better display. But they are pretty comparable lightweight data systems: you get the same GPS, acclerometer, and laptime data. Traqmate is widely used and the software may be easier for someone who isn't very computer literate. I have previous experience with AIM and prefer their software so for me selling the Traqmate and buying the AIM (and coming out $300 ahead) was a no brainer.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, the technology and Italian style of AiM has integrated the most basic system requirements for a super low price point in an elegant and simple package. I don't think AiM could have done this three or four years ago, but they were listening. Also generationally, the Traqmate=~2005, the Solo=2011

Traqmate's software, Traqview, is still easier to glean instant information out of for quick turnaround, IMO. The Traqmate Basic and Complete are actually more comparable to the Solo DL ($699) because of their expandability. RPM add ($49), sensors and camera control input/output board add ($149).

Traqmate's integrated camera control (soon to come out for the GoPro HD Hero 2) can't be beat, and while plenty of you use post processing programs to sync it to the data, most people find being able pull video up already synchronized and in a window within the data display really valuable and time saving. The TraqStudio video software can allow uploading to Youtube and archival DVD burning with the data overlay on the video super easy. Plus it can handle the HD files produced by the GoPro HD.

The Solo is not expandable at all, not even to add an RPM source, but what a price point! AiM's software, Race Studio 2 is incredibly powerful, and to have the ability to generate useful information digestible by RS2 from something so inexpensive is awesome! There is no way to open a video window in Race Studio 2, even with SmartyCam video. That said, the Solo DL along with a SmartyCam will be a great combination, especially for sucking up OBD-II or CAN data and displaying it on the video, real-time!

I stock the Solo's now and I will stock Solo DL's and SmartyCam's (specifically to sell together) as well as Traqmate Basic or Complete and GoPro HD Hero 2's for the same purpose. Just about the same price, too.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had traqmate for 5 years now and still haven't used RPM. I'm a borderline tech nerd so the DL has tempted me, but the instant easy data analysis that I use at the track between sessions and this new deal with GoPro, means my traqmate isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I would like to know more about this though:

I can say that video is relevant to everyone, squiggly lines less so. That said, I have taught people to use Velocity vs Distance X-Y graphs and Longitudinal G (braking and acceleration) vs Distance X-Y graphs present in each of these system's software and hardware and have gotten SECONDS off subsequent sessions after study of where they can improve.
I never use the graphs, just video and segment analysis.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
I've had traqmate for 5 years now and still haven't used RPM. I'm a borderline tech nerd <snip>

I would like to know more about this though:

I never use the graphs, just video and segment analysis.
I'm NOT an engineer or a math geek, but graphs are the DADDY! They tell me more than the video, sometimes.

Take a look at May 2011 Grassroots Motorsports magazine, Deciphering Data.

I'll send you a PM.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-12-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399