Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Neel Apex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a little blog post we did on it, its been a great unit!

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/aim-sol...-timer-is-here

We've already sold quite a few and I've used it on my personal race car & motorcycles. We ran it an Bonneville during Speed Weeks and are now testing the DL's. This is a great unit and I recommend it to everyone! I agree with Joe - feel free to ask detailed technical questions about the unit, how it compares to other products or how to use it, this is about helping out other forum members!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For anyone interested, I just received 4 SOLO, and 4 SOLO DL (all with OBD II connectors). I also have Smarty Cams and the new Smarty Cam GP in stock. You can e-mail me at jandsaustin1 at verizon.net for more info. Happy holidays
Old 11-28-2011, 05:07 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm using a Solo DL. Excellent unit as advertised.

A note of caution: if you have the wiretaps ready, go for the ECU cable (or just buy it an as accessory, it's cheap). The OBD refresh rate and data fields are rather limited for our purpose.

I bot mine OBD and ditched that cable after my first track weekend.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,072 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I'm using a Solo DL. Excellent unit as advertised.

A note of caution: if you have the wiretaps ready, go for the ECU cable (or just buy it an as accessory, it's cheap). The OBD refresh rate and data fields are rather limited for our purpose.

I bot mine OBD and ditched that cable after my first track weekend.
Thank you, that's good information!

Most RennList vehicle applications use the two-wire RS-232 connection.

Headed up now to install my demo in a Cayman S!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Peter

I've had good luck with 09 and later Cayman S. This is the first car I've found actual brake pressure in the CAN signal. I'm interested in your comment on the "Most RennList vehicle applications use the two-wire RS-232 connection. " Where do you get the RS-232 signal? I've never used that. I was thinking it was for aftermarket ECU installs.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Peter

I've had good luck with 09 and later Cayman S. This is the first car I've found actual brake pressure in the CAN signal. I'm interested in your comment on the "Most RennList vehicle applications use the two-wire RS-232 connection. " Where do you get the RS-232 signal? I've never used that. I was thinking it was for aftermarket ECU installs.
Sorry, Jerry. Some of my AiM literature refers to the unterminated CAN connection (as opposed to the OBD-II J1979 plug) as an "RS-232" connection. It isn't, as you point out. It is true that the 996 installs that I've done are to the ECU using the two-wire connection to pins 36 and 37 of the CAN+ and CAN-.

The 08 Cayman I was working with yesterday did not give me any signal at those same ECU connections, even though both Racelogic and AiM instructions say so.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default Cayman

Hi Peter

I'd check three things. First, make sure you are using CAN not RS 232 since they are the same color wires. Next, reverse the can wires to see if that works. Last, if you run wire for CAN longer than 18" you will need to twist them similar to what they do in the harness. Can't explain why, just needs to be twisted. Also, on 997's I don't go back to the ECU, I pick up the CAN wires just above the fuse box, check out the photo, it may be similar in the Cayman. This saves running long wires and is just easier.

Let us know what you find is the issue.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

I just recieved data from a BMW Z4 out of a SOLO DL hooked up by CAN.

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has brake pressures, individual wheel speeds, RPM, car speed, brake on/off, throttle position, fuel level, clutch, water temp, oil temp all from the car. I'll post the file up to trailbrake.net. It is the most amazing data logger for the price out there.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is sweet.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
That is sweet.
God, I love technology!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Jerry,

Thanks for the Solo! I got it yesterday, barely got the box open, and my friend is already using it since my car blew up.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Please excuse me if I get this wrong....

I was looking at the AIM Solo site since I am interested in possible going with the DL.

If I have flashed the ECU of my car, is it true I can't go with the one that connents directly into the OBD II connection?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

What year and model is the car? If it is a Porsche and does not have the Siemens ECU (I think they started in 07) you might be disappointed with OBD, because it is basic CAN data. The Siemens ecu gives better data thru the OBD. I just received my first CAN harness for the DL which should give you great data if you are willing to tap into the CAN wires. The link to the AIM site is http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/solo/index.htm . I'll be happy to provide a DL with CAN or OBD if you are interested.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amso3
What year and model is the car? If it is a Porsche and does not have the Siemens ECU (I think they started in 07) you might be disappointed with OBD, because it is basic CAN data. The Siemens ecu gives better data thru the OBD. I just received my first CAN harness for the DL which should give you great data if you are willing to tap into the CAN wires. The link to the AIM site is http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/solo/index.htm . I'll be happy to provide a DL with CAN or OBD if you are interested.
Jerry,

PM'ed.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

So lets say you got a car with an ECU that is not read by SoloDL via obd2 cable. You can still get info from this ECU via the CAN cable of soloDL? I know what CAN is but I have never touched and felt it. An ECU can talk to other lesser ECU's like a suspension ECU or alarm ECU via CAN. But how do you splice in the soloDL CAN wires into the ECU? How does it work? Is there a blue wire ,for example, on the DL CAN cable that is supposed to say go to throttle position and we have to splice into the wire going to the ECU from the throttle position switch? Is that how it works?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399