Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this blocking or just being wide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is this blocking or just being wide?

I am not the camera car!

I am calling on the wealth of experience on this forum to bestow their opinions.

Thanks dudes.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, it's a 21 minute video, so I'm not sure what segment you're asking about. But, from scanning it he stays behind the red 911 for a long time. It looks to me like it's a combination of a good job holding him off and more importantly; poor technique in setting up to pass. He just never utilizes his own car's advantage properly.
I didn't see any terribly blatant blocks, but didn't watch it straight through.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry, red 911
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't watch the entire video either but concur that the 911 could have been set up better. With that said, on several occations, the 911 made multiple line changes based on where the following car was going. Some would consider that blocking.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say the 911 was being a bit of a jacka$$, but I would also say poor racecraft of the camera car kept him behind the red 911. 911 was compromising a lot of exit speed by creeping in & apexing early - I think there were plenty of opportunities to get a good run on him.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the red 911 did a masterful job of driving the best defensive line available. Yea there were a couple of marginal moves on the straights but mostly that was tracking out and then establishing a defensive position. Agree with other above that the guy was too impatient and never really set up the 911 for a pass. You could sense his frustration as the 911 would have to slow way down to execute the turns from his defensive line and the camera car would come barreling up with nowhere to go. Patience young grasshopper.....

Great video to study the track with for NASA's Nationals just in case I decide to go.....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

i watched too much of it. anyway, he (camera car BMW) had the pass done and sealed and blew it at 4:25
the rest of the time, he was just getting frustrated and wasnt using his advantages nor strategy to fluster him to get by. no blocking on the red cars side, just narrow driving.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I always thought that one move is acceptable when defending your position and more than that is considered blocking. The driver of the Cayman up ahead was the big winner since he was able to sneak away while this was going on. Only have watched up to 10:12 at this point.

I think good racecraft would have been to allow the BMW by since he was faster in the corners, then tuck in behind and follow him which would have helped haul the Cayman in. This worked for me once when after leaving the door open for the faster car behind me, I proceeded to stick to him for most of the race and when he used up his tires, I had an easy pass to overtake. While following him, we left the pack behind us and finished 10 sec ahead of the next group of cars.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

That guy was definitely being a jackass. Floating into an early apex a few times is one thing, but he was purposely jerking the wheel over to limit his trackout at the exit of the corner and force you to lift. If the camera car was a 911 that would have been a wreck. just my 2 cents
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy in the red 911 was all over the place IMO. For the most part he was driving an okay defensive line but he'd throw in a double/triple move down the straight every once in a while. Sucks to be around those people who aren't consistent.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I thought the red 911 did a masterful job of driving the best defensive line available. Yea there were a couple of marginal moves on the straights but mostly that was tracking out and then establishing a defensive position. Agree with other above that the guy was too impatient and never really set up the 911 for a pass. You could sense his frustration as the 911 would have to slow way down to execute the turns from his defensive line and the camera car would come barreling up with nowhere to go. Patience young grasshopper.....

Great video to study the track with for NASA's Nationals just in case I decide to go.....
I really don't see how you can't not call that blocking. Multiple moves down the straights and into braking zones. You know the line at mid o, and its not to the inside of every corner. Moving a car width off the racing line is a a defensive move, driving down to the apex once a lap is defensive, but having to repeatedly make multiple line corrections to block a obviously faster car is uncalled for.

No doubt the BMW driver was frustrated and instead of attacking every corner should have setup one good pass.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of setting up to pass, I'm remembering a day of kart racing with one of my early coaches; Andy Lally. In very equal and underpowered karts, he would force through openings and create passing opportunities where none seemed possible. All very safe, but he'd stuff through so fast into gaps that didn't even seem open. Really good lessons.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW the camera car had faster laps every session (except first practice). They were in the same class GTS-3
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Seems like a bit of blocking to me.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was that a pass under yellow by the red car at about 16:40~ on the back stretch?

Quick Reply: Is this blocking or just being wide?