Sponsored by:

Is this blocking or just being wide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
The rest of the time just looked like sloppy driving. Not being able to hit an apex doesn't mean the guy is blocking.
Racing is not about hitting apexs, but about staying infront of the guy behind you. If that means hitting apxes fine, but there are alternate methods fine too.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Racing is not about hitting apexs, but about staying infront of the guy behind you. If that means hitting apxes fine, but there are alternate methods fine too.
Thanks for the lesson captain obvious. Of course there are other ways, but driving a good line is faster than consistently missing an apex by 1-2'.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Thanks for the lesson captain obvious. Of course there are other ways, but driving a good line is faster than consistently missing an apex by 1-2'.
Sure it is faster, but often times a fast line allows you to be passed. There are not points for fast lap, but only finishing order. If you happen to be in spot where you can't turn laps as fast as the car behind you running the fast line why bother doing that? You will be passed and lose. So you you must run a defensive line and that means not taking an ideal apex. It is racing after all. Heck there are many races where I have never taken an apexs properly at speed for an entire lap. I was either defending, trying to pass or in traffic. That is racing. Some here seem to think racing is about running fast laps. It is not. Racing is about being in front. Either staying there or trying to get there.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This classic Falk scene will be my inspiration at the next spec box showdown. Serpentine is not blocking.

Last edited by consolidated; 07-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, this has gone in circles a bit. I've seen worse blocks, for sure, though I believe that one qualifies. Most interesting in the video is the missed passing opportunities.

Joe summed things up well:

There are not points for fast lap, but only finishing order. If you happen to be in spot where you can't turn laps as fast as the car behind you running the fast line why bother doing that? You will be passed and lose. So you you must run a defensive line and that means not taking an ideal apex. It is racing after all. Heck there are many races where I have never taken an apexs properly at speed for an entire lap. I was either defending, trying to pass or in traffic. That is racing. Some here seem to think racing is about running fast laps. It is not. Racing is about being in front. Either staying there or trying to get there.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Colin,

That wasn't a block. He was just dancing with you lol

Originally Posted by 38D
I don't think that was a "bad" block. The red 911 turns in a bit early for the apex on the back straight which is fine. Annoying but fine. After the apex, he goes back to the left, which is debatable, since that apex isn't really required.

The rest of the time just looked like sloppy driving. Not being able to hit an apex doesn't mean the guy is blocking.

Btw, this is my definition of a block
http://gallery.me.com/cmazzola#100075
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetic1
HA! No worries, Im not sensitive to people posting videos or pictures of me

I thought that was some pretty crappy "racing" on the part of the red 911. In the very least, it showed very poor sportsmanship.

Anyone who has driven Mid Ohio knows that such a wandering line down the back straight is not necessary (unless you're blocking). The kink does not require an apex or track-out (unless it's wet). Choose a defensive line, and then KEEP IT.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman

I thought that was some pretty crappy "racing" on the part of the red 911. In the very least, it showed very poor sportsmanship.

Anyone who has driven Mid Ohio knows that such a wandering line down the back straight is not necessary (unless you're blocking). The kink does not require an apex or track-out (unless it's wet). Choose a defensive line, and then KEEP IT.
I agree with you there is no need to wobble going down the back straight unless your intending on blocking. Rather than debating if it was a block or not we should debate if Blocking in a skilled gentlemanly way is more sportsman like then someone doing it poorly in an obvious way. I just don't think there is a place for blocking weather you want to call it crafty skilled driving or just plain old blocking. Rather than drive in your mirrors and figure out a way to hold up a faster car behind you, learn how to drive the wheels off your car, if your fast I am never going to pass you.

If i were racing for a podium finish and i was one lap away from the checker it might cross my mind to be a little wide but when your mid pack racing for 10th place its like what is the purpose of blocking.

I really get wound up when people out of my class feel they have to block me its like WTF is that all about. To me the art of this hobby is to figure out how to drive faster than my competitor not be a better blocker.

Quick Reply: Is this blocking or just being wide?