Sponsored by:

Grand Am GT crash at RA

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Grand Am GT crash at RA

I know Gunter. I met him and started racing with him when started racing and came out occasionally at laguna. He had a couple of hot Vipers he was running. I haven't spoken to him, but am very curious to hear what happened.

With regards to the spectactular crash in his GA Camaro,
He said his brake pedal went to the floor, then he released it then pressed, with no pedal, then he said, "then I just locked up the fronts". Did anyone hear what could or happened to his brake system or was it a case of too late of braking an some false feelings because he did lock up the fronts as he went off the track at over 140mph and cartwheeled over a set of tires and a fence, only to land flat on some bushes below.

anyway, amazing the car was put back together and ran at laguna this last race. Ive had total brake failure before due to a blown line and its a scary feeling. to have it at Road America, must be a code brown moment. i remember running there and getting 150 down the main straight only to think if i lost my brakes i would end up in lake michigan! Glad to hear he was unhurt.

Mk
Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Mark. Welcome back.

I saw the crash and the interview with Gunter. He said the brakes failed. He pumps them 2 twice and they came back, but too late. He crashed into the back of Joe Foster. Foster was cut out of his car and taken to the hospital. He was released and is ok, but did not race at LS.

Spectacular crash. Glad he walked away. Did not look like that would be the results.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Good to be back.

Yes, i was a little suprised that joe was the most injured and Gunter just went for a rollercoaster ride and was unhurt considering the speed at which he hit the tires. i guess its the side impacts that doe the most damage, huh!

i guess the old adage goes true. its not speed that kills (or hurts) its the stopping. I guess gunter had a little longer to stop.

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Hi, Mark. Welcome back.

I saw the crash and the interview with Gunter. He said the brakes failed. He pumps them 2 twice and they came back, but too late. He crashed into the back of Joe Foster. Foster was cut out of his car and taken to the hospital. He was released and is ok, but did not race at LS.

Spectacular crash. Glad he walked away. Did not look like that would be the results.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I think Joe reinjured and old injury. He was hit very hard in the rear. His stop was almost a non issue, juging from the TV view. I thought it was going to be his back. I think they said it was his neck. Don`t quote me on that.
He was telling the corner workers not to cut up his car, but they had to cut the top off in order to extract him safely. That should give you some idea of his injury.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

http://youtu.be/0kT6moE8yNQ

Nice to see you back Mark!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome back Mark...Not sure where you've been but hope all is well
Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mark;

Did you get bored sitting in the corner? Missed you....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Ha ha ha. Yes, it was boring. But, I made the best of it. took the kids on some trips, worked on a race motor, did some testing, made some mods, and raced a little!

Glad to be back. Missed you guys too!

Thanks!

Mark

Originally Posted by KaiB
Hi Mark;

Did you get bored sitting in the corner? Missed you....
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thanks!

Here is another angle

I guess he was pumping really fast, and got it to get pressure,but at that point, full pedal pressure just locked up the fronts and what a ride he took!

Originally Posted by SG_M3
http://youtu.be/0kT6moE8yNQ

Nice to see you back Mark!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Gravel trap did nothing...why? Shouldn't it have waves/bumps combed into it to scrub off more speed? Looks like he skipped right over the entire flat surface...

Quick Reply: Grand Am GT crash at RA