Sponsored by:

Buying my first Helmet for Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
jealva
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Helmet for Track Days

I'd appreciate any thoughts members have regarding helmets. I will not be racing but do have a GT3 so any DE, track days or even autocross that I do will be at high speed so I want to buy the best helmet available.

I've tried on HJC, Bell and Sparco helmets. I don't have a Bell head as none of the helmets fit well. The HJC Si-12 and Sparco WTX-SW fit me very well.

If I went with Sparco or HJC, I'd probably get their carbon fiber helmets, the Sparco F1-ADV or the HJC HX10.

I have not tried Arai helmets yet because I can't find one in my size but I'm interested in the GP-6 (their best non-carbon fiber helmet).

Any advice on the Sparco or HJC helmets? Should I wait until I can find an Arai?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, I am not all that sure that you get more protection with more money, but that said, there is definately a potential benefit to the lower mass carbon fiber helmets. Less mass, less momentum in an impact. So, assuming the Sparco or HJC fit well and are lighter than the Arai, one of those seem like a fine choice.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Depending on how you have your car setup and how hot it is there. Start with an affordable but well designed open face helmet as it makes it much more comfortable. It is also better in an accident if you have airbags in the car (IIRC).

If you want to spend the dough (and have it) - get an carbon fiber helmet as it weighs a lot less and leads to less fatigue.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

As FIA homologation has "best before" date, it possible to make very good deal with high end expired homologation helmets. This works if You are going to Track Days not FIA motorsport racing events.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bell's wider oval interior doesn't seem to fit my narrower oval exterior head either.

I've found the Simpson Voyager (large eye-port) to be a very good fit for my narrower head, and I've been using them for two decades. I just bought a new one, and am somewhat disappointed, however. They're now made by a different company; the sizing has changed (larger exterior, but interior running much smaller), the eye-port is smaller, and the quality of the trim seems to have gone down too.

Although it's been over 20 years, I started with Arai helmets; they fit well and had very high quality details. I wish I had tried them again before ordering the Simpson.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jealva,

It is all about fit. Weight is another item that can play into safety, but comfort is crucial on the track. I would go with a full face helmet and if you find your head is more oval and you feel a lot of pressure on the front and back of your head with a Bell, then do try and Arai. That was my situation...Love my Arai helmet and when it is time for a new one I will be getting another Arai.

-Skip
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Like others have said it's the fit that's important. Since the Sparco fit you well, it's not surprising that the Bell doesn't. In my case it's the opposite. We have a very large selection of Arai, Sparco, and HJC helmets in stock and would be happy to assist you with selecting the right helmet for you. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-934-9112 at your convenience. We are open from 9-6 Monday through Friday and Saturday's from 10-2.

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
jealva
Track Day

I'm definitely going full face helmet.

My hesitation with the Sparco helmet is that it looks like professional racers use Arai or Bell. It concerns me that they are not wearing Sparco and I wonder if their helmets are just not as good.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can't find one that fits you properly and comfortably, have Stand21 make a custom one for you...
Old 07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After being the passenger in the rollover last fall (at 25MPH) I can't see any point in using an open face.

I use an Arai GP5-W for wheel-to-wheel and in the Radical. Just got a Pyrotect for ride-a-long DE duty as it gets bothersome to take the Arai off and on throughout the day in a DE environment. Seems like a nice enough unit at ~$250 from Wine Country. Had been using a full face, non shield Bieffe for that purpose, but of course it's timed out now.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes the in the U.S., Arai, Bell, and Simpson are widely used at the pro level. Sparco's helmets are very high quality and subject to the same testing. All are a good safe choice. Pick the one that fits your head the best and have fun.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Bell Pro because it fits well, every head is different so fit is more important then brand. Go to a race shop and try some on, every brain bucket is different! And get a 2010 so you have it for at least ten more years.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Love the fit and weight of my carbon Pyrotect!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Yes the in the U.S., Arai, Bell, and Simpson are widely used at the pro level. Sparco's helmets are very high quality and subject to the same testing. All are a good safe choice. Pick the one that fits your head the best and have fun.
Mark,

What is your opinion on the Simpson Devil Ray Carbon SA2010 helmet? It sounds super light. How does it compare (weight, quality, etc) to a comparably priced Arai or the HJC?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Buying my first Helmet for Track Days