Sponsored by:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
who can afford to pour a half-mil into a fast car and a crew to support it. But we're talking about over-the-top money.
I can't think of a single car at a PCA club race that's worth "a half-mil" as you put it. The 997 cups are in the 175 range and the 996 cups in the 90ish range. Maybe there's the odd RSR that is over 200, but that's maybe 5 cars max even at a big race like Sebring. While a 100k 996 cup is still real money, it hardly requires "internet millions". Take out the cup cars, and most are in the 20-60k range and maintained by their owners.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In the scheme of costs. Trackside support isn't that much when you consider the cost of running a Cup Car. I did trackside support at the SRF Pro races I went to and as Larry mentions. It's really nice to be able to concentrate on the driving and not worrying about if you have time to get all that you wanted done in between sessions. The real expense in trackside support in my experience is the transport costs. 1-2 dollars per mile each way can really add up. One event last year that I didn't go to the people I race with had 2 trailers of cars, 7, and the tow costs were 5Kish per car but trackside support is 3-500/day for SRF and Formula Enterprise cars under the tent.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you answer half of your question - 'who are these people' - with these statements: 'I was bitten by the bug two years ago. An innocent DE event at Sebring turned into an 18-event season with multiple trips to Atlanta, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Watkins Glen, Palm Beach, and Savannah.

Last year, I did 24 events and, along the way, I burned up tires, brake pads, rotors, and a water pump. I rolled up the better part of 35,000 miles driving to and from tracks, I've spent money on suspension mods, lightweight wheels, and a grumbly exhaust.

I invested (invested? dream on) in a trailer and a tow vehicle. I've spent more money than made sense,'

but I've somehow (so far) kept this obsession from getting out of hand.' Really!! Hardly sounds like it.

'I don't have a driver's suit, a full-face helmet, race seats, or a roll cage.' Would have been wise to buy these things FIRST!

'Who are these guys and where does all this money come from?' Most are just ordinary people who have considerable disposable income and realize this is where they receive the most reward for their efforts at the office. For many it is less expensive to arrive and drive than loose time at the office. Many specialty surgeons, contractors, sales reps. I suspect most are self employeed.

'They race for medals? Little bitty medallions on a ribbon? Help me understand.'

What do you think professionals race for? The money? Hardly. Not much $$ in most racing except for a few teams and less drivers.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You "guys" are getting pretty defensive.

Besides the initial cost of the car, what does a "season" of races end up costing? And we're not just talking track support and fuel and tires...but rebuilds, breaks, and occasional dings. Please don't misinterpret my inquiry. I'm not passing judgment or criticizing. I, too, would do exactly what you're doing if given the chance. I'm just wondering who "you guys" are. What do you do the rest of the year to be able to run with the big dogs?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

My research suggests $15k-$20k for supported race weekend, depending on series and distance. As previously mentioned, transport is usually the single biggest expense if you don't break something. So, if you want to run 6 events a season and most are relatively close then it's X. If you want to run 12 events a year spread all over the country it can be 3-4 times X.... Relatively easy math but most try not to run the numbers.

As for who's doing it, while it's popular to think it's all lawyers, bankers, and doctors the reality is often different. Bear in mind the number one source of new millionaires in this country remains small business owners. Spend some time in the paddocks and you're likely to find that for every doctor or lawyer you come across there's another two or three that own things like paper companies, paint contracting companies, metal fabrication companies, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Last edited by Nizer; 02-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 99 dodge 2500 and 24ft enclosed trailer. I have my father as my crew. On long events we sleep on cots in the trailer. I drive 944-spec that I built myself with my father. For 944 spec runners we come to the track with more that most however some come with a 40 ft Rv and stacker trailer. At then end of the day we do track days for fun. Some guys have more money to spend than others. However how much fun you have is not determined by how much money you spend. I do have to say I would be happy to have big RV and stacker trailer if I had the money to spare.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I answered the WHO but not the WHY....

I suppose many do it because they CAN. The reason I got a GT3 cup was about improving my driving with the goal of doing more pro races. The only place you can really compare your driving to the pros is in the cup cars, as there are usually several coaching and co driving at the big events. Most other classes have too much of a mishmosh of cars... maybe Spec Boxster may join the GTC classes if more pros start showing up in them.

You can also use the pro's data to see where you can be faster, this will only work in a spec car. My GTA2 car is pretty close to a spec Grand Am car so I can still use it as a barometer and compare my data to Rolex GT cars. A top notch pro who drives every week should be a second per minute faster than any club racer. If I can get close to that, I'm very happy and a pro team would be MORE than happy to take my money

Hope that helps!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm just wondering who "you guys" are.
More often than not the "you guys" are owners of their own businesses. But there are lots of ways to make money. Highly successful obviously. This is disposable income.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

MikeJim,
I would just add a couple of contextual comments to everything else that's been said here. The 48 Hours of Sebring is really quite a unique beast. It is the single largest PCA race event of the year with respect to attendance. It's a perfect storm event if you will. It's held in the waning days of the Winter when everyone is getting totally antsy to get their race on. As such it brings in rigs from all over the Eastern seaboard, the Midwest and the South. And this year it even drew in GMG from California. The vast majority of rigs that you saw there will only be at their local regional PCA events after Sebring.

The other thing that brings out the big guns is ALMS testing. Testing for ALMS historically follows the 48 Hours weekend and a large number of professionals come in and run with the PCA for some extra track and seat time to get their Patron and GT2 class cars set up and sorted in anticipation of the 12 Hours event next month.

While there is arrive and drive services and professional support at every single PCA event out there, you did stumble in on the big party of the year. If you were to come out our local PCA Club event here in Colorado, there would still be a handful of tractor trailers there, but most of them would be absent giant logos and there definitely won't be anyone there with their own client's cafe like TRG had set up for their drivers.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

"Invested in" thats cute
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do. I understand that there might be a handful of doctors or investment bankers or internet entrepreneurs with more dollars than sense, who can afford to pour a half-mil into a fast car and a crew to support it. But we're talking about over-the-top money.
What are they thinking?
you`ll be surprised but there is plenty of people for whom half-mil on a car is not a serious expense. there are plenty of people with money and how they spend it all is their own business i guess, racing cars is not worst of it. my last trip to Vegas on rulette table I sit on a guy spent 20-30K in about of 3 hours duration. I guess it makes him happy. Who knows.

for me, like for you, primary goal is just to have some fun, learn something in the process and preferably to drive away in same car I arrived on. if you want to see more of 'those people' - you should visit Newport RI on days where they have exotic cars parades. that is where vanity fair happens, not on a racing track.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What a shock Porsche racing attracts the same type A personalities that also tend to have type A incomes.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First DE I go to VIR zone 2...blown away by the stuff....cup cars, etc.

But, this is what these guys do. There were a filthy rich types in the mix....15k watches, suites, and just attitude..but that was rare. More common was the porsche mechanic driving his own 964 with some creative additions, guys doing their own brakes, guys helping other guys do their fluids, etc. It was pretty normal.

I saw a Ferrari club meet once...different crowd. Lobster and champagne with caviar laid out. Guy selling Panerais and Rolexes, surreal... Not my cup of tea...left pretty fast. Far less talent than the PCA group as a rule...only thing they had was better sounding cars for the most part.

Lots of retirees. Lots of professionals. Mostly nice guys. Some a-holes. The standard bell curve with a bit more on the nice end. My instructors and I only have had only one bad PCA interaciton....guy in a 944turbo with nasa stickers all over his car passed all sorts of guys in bad places without point bys....got his **** removed. Blaimed us "slowpokes." He is to this day the only arsehole have dealt with in PCA DE days. He was a "flat out" DE template if there ever was one.

I drive to and from and struggle with the costs of doing just 2-4 a year. Tires, etc. To put it into perspective.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-19-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

They race for medals? Little bitty medallions on a ribbon? Help me understand.
At the risk of sounding pompous .......is it time for Rennlist to separate the racing forum from the DE forum ?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
At the risk of sounding pompous .......is it time for Rennlist to separate the racing forum from the DE forum ?
yep... seems like there is a slight chasm developing??

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?