Originally Posted by good hands
Yes
Hey! Seriously, you couldn't handle it
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^^^MY EYES!! MY EYES!.. IT BURNS!!!...AAHHGGGggg....

...Peter, well said, I hope the bottom of my slippery slope looks like yours, I'd hate it if it was Streaks version^^^^.....(the doctors say it will be a few weeks before my vision will return...)
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by S4_Killer
I think your choice to post a picture of a specific team and not one of the entire paddock(which would have much further emphasized your point) was in poor taste, as a disclaimer I am in no way involved with GMG, I was there with another team
I think MikeJim is just curious...maybe he didn't know who GMG was or how it works for guys tht arrive and drive. I do not believe he was trying to be distasteful is his post.

Since he used my pic in his post here are a few of more of the field. I don;t race...just a lowly scum DE guy but I have friends that race...kinda like "I'm with the band" and I had a blast on this day taking photo's and hangingout with great and friendly people.
Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Well, money aside, here's how I got to be one of "those" guys.

I bought my first Porsche at 34. I didn't even know you could take it to the track. I found Rennlist by accident and it led me to PCA Driver's Education. I did my first DE at Sebring and was hooked. I DE'd for 2 years and used to drive my car to the track. Then, I got a flat bed trailer (I thought $3k was REALLY expensive....) and started trailering my car. I modded the car such that it wasn't fun to drive on the street anymore yet it still wasn't a true track car. I told myself I had to quit or get a race car. I bought a salvage 911 and built a GT4 car from the ground up. I raced it 2 years and was constantly chasing the weak link. I got to where I couldn't work on the car and enjoy the weekend. I wasn't looking for a second job as a mechanic on the weekends and had some disposable income, so I gave my car to a crew 4 years ago and never looked back. My driving got better, my car broke down less and it made it a lot more FUN. Yes, it costs more but the smile to dollar ratio is still ok in my book.

I watched the guys in the Cups and thought I wanted to go faster and wanted to see how I stacked up in a "spec" car. I bought a 996 Cup and the smile to dollar factor was still ok. I wanted to go faster and have even faster competition so I sold the 996 Cup and bought a 997 Cup to get into some GT3 Challenge races. The smile to dollar factor definitely took a hit...

If you told me 8 years ago that I would have spent the money I've spent to this point, would be on my third race car, would have done the 24 Hours of Daytona, would have done three twelve hour races and two other 24 hour races and would be on the IMSA grid this March, I would have told you you were crazy. So, you telling me that I'm a bit crazy seems kind of right.

There is not much out there for type A personalities that gives the instant feedback and objective measurement (lap times) like racing. There isn't much out there that, when you're doing it, totally gets your mind off of work, family, external stresses, etc, like being in the race car.

I work hard and make enough money to provide for my family while still being able to afford this "sport." I don't fool around on my wife. I'm a good dad and don't miss many swim meets, tennis matches or baseball games with my kids. I think I'm pretty grounded when it comes the whole "Race car driver" thing. I probably won't do a full time pro season or even GT3 Challenge season for a few more years. Money is one thing but family time is something else entirely. I've had mechanical issues end my weekend early and have been excited to catch an early flight home so I could catch my son's baseball game on a Sunday.

So, to sum it up, I'm a guy who works hard and takes a lot of risk in business. Thusfar, my work success has afforded me the opportunity to do what not many people do. Yes, it costs A LOT of money but who the f%&K wants to play golf...
Very well said. All kidding aside in this thread, this is a great synopsis. Back at the end of 2004, a once in a lifetime (or so I thought) opportunity fell in my lap, to go race in what was then known as Grand Am Cup (now Koni Challenge) in a BMW. It was part of a 4 car team, with some friends I knew from BMW club racing. This was a full team, much like what is being discussed & pictured in this thread. Semi haulers, pro drivers like Boris Said and Joe Foster and James Sofronas, big tent, catering, crew, hot & cold pit babes...the whole 9 yards.

I was all set to say no thanks. I did not believe my talent at that point was even remotely near where it needed to be to not be dead last in every race. However, two things persuaded me to look beyond that rather accurate self assessment: (1) my wife, who said that I would always regret it if I said no; and (2) a business client at that time who was willing to be my major sponsor, and pay about 3/4 of the per-race & ongoing costs of the race seasons (the deal also included me being a 1/3 owner of the ST car I would co-drive).

So I said yes. Unfortunately, the car ended up being a heavy POS. When it ran, it was slow but did outhandle most of its competition.

When it ran.

But guess what? Just as Peter said, having a professional crew to set up the car, prep it, make changes based on driver feedback, even having lunch ready on time, made a HUGE difference in the smile/dollar ratio as well as my ability to overcome many of my shortcomings 6 years ago as a driver.

The car was a big disappointment. My regular co-driver was a bit better a driver than I, which was a plus IMO. But I surprised myself (but not my wife). In the races where the car actually entered the race, we were not dead last, and actually had some very good racing. The experience of trying to keep up with the best drivers in the country for a corner or two (before they disappeared into the distance) was the tough love I needed to get out of the DE driving rut I was in. And it made a HUGE difference in my driving.

And none of this would have been possible without the full service crew and set up.

Now...I surely wish this opportunity had come now rather in 2004, since I could actually be competitive with many at the pointy end of the grid now. But it is what it is...and my wife was right!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Very well said. All kidding aside in this thread, this is a great synopsis. Back at the end of 2004, a once in a lifetime (or so I thought) opportunity fell in my lap, to go race in what was then known as Grand Am Cup (now Koni Challenge) in a BMW. It was part of a 4 car team, with some friends I knew from BMW club racing. This was a full team, much like what is being discussed & pictured in this thread. Semi haulers, pro drivers like Boris Said and Joe Foster and James Sofronas, big tent, catering, crew, hot & cold pit babes...the whole 9 yards.

I was all set to say no thanks. I did not believe my talent at that point was even remotely near where it needed to be to not be dead last in every race. However, two things persuaded me to look beyond that rather accurate self assessment: (1) my wife, who said that I would always regret it if I said no; and (2) a business client at that time who was willing to be my major sponsor, and pay about 3/4 of the per-race & ongoing costs of the race seasons (the deal also included me being a 1/3 owner of the ST car I would co-drive).

So I said yes. Unfortunately, the car ended up being a heavy POS. When it ran, it was slow but did outhandle most of its competition.

When it ran.

But guess what? Just as Peter said, having a professional crew to set up the car, prep it, make changes based on driver feedback, even having lunch ready on time, made a HUGE difference in the smile/dollar ratio as well as my ability to overcome many of my shortcomings 6 years ago as a driver.

The car was a big disappointment. My regular co-driver was a bit better a driver than I, which was a plus IMO. But I surprised myself (but not my wife). In the races where the car actually entered the race, we were not dead last, and actually had some very good racing. The experience of trying to keep up with the best drivers in the country for a corner or two (before they disappeared into the distance) was the tough love I needed to get out of the DE driving rut I was in. And it made a HUGE difference in my driving.

And none of this would have been possible without the full service crew and set up.

Now...I surely wish this opportunity had come now rather in 2004, since I could actually be competitive with many at the pointy end of the grid now. But it is what it is...and my wife was right!

Dave you have a great supporting wife it sounds like. You should put her in your avitar!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dave you have a great supporting wife it sounds like. You should put her in your avitar!
Ha! She values her privacy...and is a helluva good shot. So, in order to avoid being murdered in my sleep.....

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think I speak for most of us when I say that we race for all of our adoring fans in the grandstands; the loud cheers at a PCA race beats the trophies, grid girls and free tires.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ha! She values her privacy...and is a helluva good shot. So, in order to avoid being murdered in my sleep.....

LOL...actually I was just thinking a nice normal face pic....in her honor type of deal.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Don't hate the player, hate the game . . .

In all seriousness, having diversity at the track is a great thing, from run what you brung to pro teams doing test and tune and all the layers in-between, it makes for great DE / ClubRace events.

And thanks to those with deep pockets and a love of the sport, that keep the vintage cars on the track at such events. Clearly there is no gold in that for them, but we all benefit form seeing such cars on the track.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Amazing, it never really ends. I used to be a chef aboard private yachts in the Bahamas and the Med. Same thing, big boats, bigger boats, big money, bigger money...but everybody does what they love, the way they can do it/rationalize it/justify it. You can stand their in awe, with your mouth agape and say what you want...all of "those guys" are some of the nicest people you would ever be able to meet. Sure it's what color is your Range Rover/Bentley/Rolls, etc....or is that a Rolex or Patek-Phillipe, name the sport (i.e., horse racing, yacht racing, etc.)..the same individuals/personalities pervade each passion and the same questions are always asked. While, I understand the basic inquiry, as it is always impressive to witness the participants up close and/or in person...as it has been said in here there will always be someone with more, bigger, better, that is called life and it was never supposed to be fair.......head down, nose to the grindstone...keep moving forward. Sure we all want for more, better parts, more time, faster cars, do the best you can do...not sure anyone in here needs to justify what or why....it is done becuse they can, it is competive, a blast and the people you meet along the way are some of the best. Sure there is an occassional idiot, this is only a microcosm of life itself.......so, make ther best of it and the most of it. Yes, I have heard that this one won't speak toy you unless you are a racer, blah blah, blah, and that is fine, ain't gonna change his world. But, when the green flag drops, the stories and comraderie goes to a higher level...and for each and all of us, at whatever level you chose to engage, compete, etc., it is worth it or you wouldn't be here...whether it is DE, PCA club racing or any other "higher" level.

BTW: to the racers, keep it up....you are the test bed for many of the bits and pieces that trickle down "my" way...you keep all (most) of us and the indie's alive and me, well I am looking for........ Okay, I've said my .02.......
I'll go to my parking spot and sit in my folding chair, now......
Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

My sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to craft thoughtful, honest, inspiring, responses to my initial inquiry "Who are these guys?" Your patience and willingness to share represents all that is good about this forum. Thank you.

To the rest of you, who responded like snippy little spoiled schoolboys with a secret handshake outside the clubhouse, be assured you accomplished nothing more than reinforcing the belief that "racers" look down their noses at the stupid DE drivers.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
This tread may become epic

there will always be someone who is faster, or richer, or smarter... it's life deal with it. I love the driving/racing, and the people involved are some of the best you'd ever meet.
You forgot better look'n
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pic Mike. Are you doing the Sun Coast/Gold Coast DE weekend next weekend? I will be there on Saturday instructing and doing a little shake-down on the car (after getting the bent shocks back...). Come by and say hello.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
My sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to craft thoughtful, honest, inspiring, responses to my initial inquiry "Who are these guys?" Your patience and willingness to share represents all that is good about this forum. Thank you.

To the rest of you, who responded like snippy little spoiled schoolboys with a secret handshake outside the clubhouse, be assured you accomplished nothing more than reinforcing the belief that "racers" look down their noses at the stupid DE drivers.
Forgot to tell you....Go Noles!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Something for you to practice...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:84938

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?