Sponsored by:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Thanks for the pic Mike. Are you doing the Sun Coast/Gold Coast DE weekend next weekend? I will be there on Saturday instructing and doing a little shake-down on the car (after getting the bent shocks back...). Come by and say hello.
Yes I'll be at Sebring next Saturday for the DE. I'll try to find you....I'm easy to spot...6'5" with a shiney leg with a Porsche sticker on it...LOL
Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
My sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to craft thoughtful, honest, inspiring, responses to my initial inquiry "Who are these guys?" Your patience and willingness to share represents all that is good about this forum. Thank you.

To the rest of you, who responded like snippy little spoiled schoolboys with a secret handshake outside the clubhouse, be assured you accomplished nothing more than reinforcing the belief that "racers" look down their noses at the stupid DE drivers.
You're welcome! I understood your post.....years ago when I got into this and also wondered who are these guys. I was curious in who they are, what they do to be able to do this....not in a jealous way at all but in a way that maybe I could understand better and learn something.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 972 Posts

Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike,

For the short answer to "Who are these guys?!"

The answer is: YOU!...you're just still in a state of denial...

...if you are still saying no way in hell thats me and need proof, all you need to do is go back and read your add for your car in the race/track classifieds (#25) that's a damn nice track car, with all the upgrades you will be in the 06 cup price range... You've stepped off the cliff and just haven't hit the bottom yet...

...welcome to the addiction...and remember denial is the first step in recognizing the problem...

Ps: they hand out the secret decoder ring, Secret handshake instructions and window sticker at the drivers meeting...

Last edited by J richard; 02-20-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Adding snarkey comments...
Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Track people are some of the best people you will ever meet. Most are honest and kind and willing to help you out anytime you have a problem.
Agreed. The first time I ran my Cup car (a non-PCA event too!) I didn't realize I had needed some spacers that go on the axles after you take off the tie-down wheel nuts. We had the nuts, but not the spacers. There were a couple other Cup cars there (with RV/rig setups no less), so before I drove 3 hours back to the shop to get the spacers and 3 hours back to the track, we walked around the paddock and asked the other Cup guys if they had any extras (we weren't even sure what exactly we needed, we just knew we need something in addition to the wheel nuts!).

The first person we asked had an extra set and gave them to us. No questions asked. Needless to say we're still very grateful and I hope to play it forward in the future.

At the end of the day when we went back to return the spacers, he insisted that we keep them... just in case.

I've yet to run a PCA event, but if that's any indication of what's normal, we're in good company.

-mike
Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Bob Jordan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh. I think you guys got snookered. MikeJim is an old time racer. He started driving SCCA in 1971 in an MGA and got his national license the following year, winning four out of five races he entered in Formula A. At the American Road Race of Champions, he qualified third in F/A and finished sixth. In 1973, he ran in the Watkins Glen pro Formula 5000 race, finishing 14th. He also set a course record in national competition that year and won his regional championship in the big formula class. He ran the full Formula 5000 series in 1974, driving a Chevron B24 and had four finishes, two in seventh place. He got out of racing sometime around 1978.

Last edited by Bob Jordan; 02-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do.
Originally Posted by JClark
Clearly, sir, you do not.
Originally Posted by Bob Jordan
Uh. I think you guys got snookered. MikeJim is an old time racer. He started driving SCCA in 1971 in an MGA and got his national license the following year, winning four out of five races he entered in Formula A... He got out of racing sometime around 1978.

Last edited by Astroman; 02-20-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the question is legit ie how did it get from 1978 standards to this today?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Even in cup cars, some guys are just running in a different class then others.

From the 48 a few years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^^just goes to show no matter how nice your ride somebody's always got something just a little bit sweeter....

...the look on the crews faces?...priceless...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Even in cup cars, some guys are just running in a different class then others.

From the 48 a few years ago.

Look how much "rake" there is on the "wing" of the car she is....in front of.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Look how much "rake" there is on the "wing" of the car she is....in front of.

What car? Is there a car in that pic?
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Most are just ordinary people who have considerable disposable income and realize this is where they receive the most reward for their efforts at the office. For many it is less expensive to arrive and drive than loose time at the office. Many specialty surgeons, contractors, sales reps. I suspect most are self employeed.
Well said. Nothing like taking off two extra days from the office to prep, trailer, store and then to the track to an uncompetitive car or not make it through the weekend cause you have no help.

I don't have a cup car but all race cars are expensive and going fast reliably is expensive like everything else. I also look for the best MD's, schools for my kids, etc.

When I take time off, I want it to matter. Having a crew actually allows me to work on my business when I'm on track and that desk + internet connection on the air conditioned trailer is VERY valuable and not a luxury.

Think about it, read your post about how many events you made it to? How many hours you've spent getting to/from and prepping. Trust me, you are " these guys".

BTW, don't come to a vintage race weekend they make a PCA race look like a corner car show...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Interesting thread and while the temptation from “outside” seems to be a us vs. them I have to offer my experience and observations to squelch that thinking. As a disclaimer I do not have the time or the budget to travel country-wide to race so my races tend to be regional (southeast). I think I have a fairly well equipped and sorted trailer, etc and I do not mind loading/unloading/trucking. Due to my restricted schedule I want to maximize each race weekend and drive. So what does having a crew do for me, it allows me to race. Over the past two events I had situations that would have ended my weekend early if I was by “myself”: event-1 shunt into soft-wall at Sebring exiting T-1 bent right suspension; Event-2 broken header, In both cases the crew was able to properly fix the car so I could get back out and finish the weekend.
The community of drivers is overwhelmingly generous and will give both time and equipment. The small % of @sses tend to leave or stay to themselves regardless of crew/no-crew. It’s a fantastic sport and I am privileged to take part in it with the full backing of my wife and kids.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
In both cases the crew was able to properly fix the car so I could get back out and finish the weekend.
The community of drivers is overwhelmingly generous and will give both time and equipment. The small % of @sses tend to leave or stay to themselves regardless of crew/no-crew. It’s a fantastic sport and I am privileged to take part in it with the full backing of my wife and kids.

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?