For real?

I never knew that you were so bucolic.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
For real?

I never knew that you were so bucolic.
cough post # 19 cough

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm certain that Gary didn't mean that kind of chick. I don't think that he'd know what to do with her.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'm certain that Gary didn't mean that kind of chick. I don't think that he'd know what to do with her.
He DOES like Mr Chicken in Watkins Glen.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
He DOES like Mr Chicken in Watkins Glen.

My point exactly.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

Mike,

Everything is relative. When I start to add up the expenses of racing, I think about people I know that have horses..... and I quickly say, "Hey, at least I'm not into that!!!"

Talk to your neighbors and tell them what you spend on tires. THEN tell them how many days, not tens of thousands of miles, but days those $1200 set lasts. My neighbor once asked how long a set of Hoosier A6 last. When I described it in "Laps" before they heat cycle out, he proceeded to call me a mad man.

So you see, to your neighbors, your "THAT GUY".

My first event with my car was at an SCCA autocross. I couldn't believe people had two sets of tires and would spray down their tires between a 60 second lap.

When I did DE days with BMW, I couldn't believe someone would tow their car to the track.

When I did track days with PCA, I couldn't believe I was one of the only ones to not tow their car to the track.

Today, I have 4 different trailers (just bought a Featherlite open trailer today in fact), a GT3, a 944 Spec car, a go kart and a stack of different tires from karts to 15" to 18" that would make the local Discount Tire store blush.

Track people are some of the best people you will ever meet. Most are honest and kind and willing to help you out anytime you have a problem. A recent example, I had my spec car at the track last month and forgot the quick release steering wheel. After trying out everyones steering wheel at the track, I made a few calls and photos on my cell phone to the shops I deal with back home (3 1/2 hours away). The next day, I had a quick release from another racer who went by another racers shop and dropped it off for me. That racer also brought up a stock steering wheel from a 944. If it wasn't for these guys, I would have had to drive 7 hours roundtrip and probably ruin my weekend.

Finally, the ribbons, metals, trophies are really secondary. What we are doing is making memories. I wanted to do this while I still have my health and can. I don't want to have any regrets. Someday I won't be able to do what I do, but then I can say, I have raced Porsches.

Flying Finn, a RL racer has a signature that sums it up well: "It's better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for life".
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Can you coach me on women Larry? I may consider paying you for that!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Stick with animal husbandry.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes I can. First lesson - race cars are cheaper.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I think about people I know that have horses..... and I quickly say, "Hey, at least I'm not into that!!!"
Welcome to my world. My wife has a Thoroughbred Jumper that lives and sleeps better than I do....and I'm just a lowly DE guy.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, money aside, here's how I got to be one of "those" guys.

I bought my first Porsche at 34. I didn't even know you could take it to the track. I found Rennlist by accident and it led me to PCA Driver's Education. I did my first DE at Sebring and was hooked. I DE'd for 2 years and used to drive my car to the track. Then, I got a flat bed trailer (I thought $3k was REALLY expensive....) and started trailering my car. I modded the car such that it wasn't fun to drive on the street anymore yet it still wasn't a true track car. I told myself I had to quit or get a race car. I bought a salvage 911 and built a GT4 car from the ground up. I raced it 2 years and was constantly chasing the weak link. I got to where I couldn't work on the car and enjoy the weekend. I wasn't looking for a second job as a mechanic on the weekends and had some disposable income, so I gave my car to a crew 4 years ago and never looked back. My driving got better, my car broke down less and it made it a lot more FUN. Yes, it costs more but the smile to dollar ratio is still ok in my book.

I watched the guys in the Cups and thought I wanted to go faster and wanted to see how I stacked up in a "spec" car. I bought a 996 Cup and the smile to dollar factor was still ok. I wanted to go faster and have even faster competition so I sold the 996 Cup and bought a 997 Cup to get into some GT3 Challenge races. The smile to dollar factor definitely took a hit...

If you told me 8 years ago that I would have spent the money I've spent to this point, would be on my third race car, would have done the 24 Hours of Daytona, would have done three twelve hour races and two other 24 hour races and would be on the IMSA grid this March, I would have told you you were crazy. So, you telling me that I'm a bit crazy seems kind of right.

There is not much out there for type A personalities that gives the instant feedback and objective measurement (lap times) like racing. There isn't much out there that, when you're doing it, totally gets your mind off of work, family, external stresses, etc, like being in the race car.

I work hard and make enough money to provide for my family while still being able to afford this "sport." I don't fool around on my wife. I'm a good dad and don't miss many swim meets, tennis matches or baseball games with my kids. I think I'm pretty grounded when it comes the whole "Race car driver" thing. I probably won't do a full time pro season or even GT3 Challenge season for a few more years. Money is one thing but family time is something else entirely. I've had mechanical issues end my weekend early and have been excited to catch an early flight home so I could catch my son's baseball game on a Sunday.

So, to sum it up, I'm a guy who works hard and takes a lot of risk in business. Thusfar, my work success has afforded me the opportunity to do what not many people do. Yes, it costs A LOT of money but who the f%&K wants to play golf...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racing has always been a sport for the financially well endowed. Look at the "pro" ranks (f1, NASCAR, Indy, etc.) and you will find many drivers paying for their ride. Some do it with sponsorship, others do it with their check book or trust fund. It is one of the great attractions of racing cars - anyone can do it. Last I checked, no amount of money could buy a spot on the PP with the red wings. Offer up $30,000 and you can dice it up with jimmy Johnson in the international horseshoe.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Great post Peter...thanks....and....here ya are racing at Sebring!
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 AM
S4_Killer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I was bitten by the bug two years ago. An innocent DE event at Sebring turned into an 18-event season with multiple trips to Atlanta, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Watkins Glen, Palm Beach, and Savannah.

Last year, I did 24 events and, along the way, I burned up tires, brake pads, rotors, and a water pump. I rolled up the better part of 35,000 miles driving to and from tracks, went through enough gas to float Bahrain, and never hit a thing. I've spent money on suspension mods, lightweight wheels, and a grumbly exhaust.

Over the winter, I invested in a trailer and a tow vehicle. I've spent more money than made sense, but I've somehow (so far) kept this obsession from getting out of hand. I don't have a driver's suit, a full-face helmet, race seats, or a roll cage. I don't have a fancy splitter or rear wing. I still do DEs.

So, imagine my surprise when I showed up at Sebring this month for the 48 Hours and found the entire paved tarmac covered with enough expensive race equipment to fund a moon shot. Rows and rows of car haulers and trailers, mountains of tires, fully equipped race teams. Who are these guys and where does all this money come from?

They race for medals? Little bitty medallions on a ribbon? Help me understand.

I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do. I understand that there might be a handful of doctors or investment bankers or internet entrepreneurs with more dollars than sense, who can afford to pour a half-mil into a fast car and a crew to support it. But we're talking about over-the-top money.

By my count, at least 50 supremely prepared automobiles, with full support crews, catered meals, and enough rubber to shrink the Amazon rain forest. Who are these guys? Where does this money come from?

What are they thinking?
I think your choice to post a picture of a specific team and not one of the entire paddock(which would have much further emphasized your point) was in poor taste, as a disclaimer I am in no way involved with GMG, I was there with another team

Last edited by S4_Killer; 02-20-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
.....but who the f%&K wants to play golf...
Although i race on a smaller budget than the cup guys (cheaper car, cheaper consumables, cheaper repairs), i have reached the same conclusion as Peter did....

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?