Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
...If you're smart enough to find out a loop hole in the rule, therefore using an advantage of "knowledge" and you take advantage of that loop hole, is it cheating? Should you feel guilty for being smart and stop, or can you use you're skill for finding loop holes as a legitimate competitive edge... Just asking...
I'm sure we'd all agree that IN THEORY you can liberally read the rules. But realistically, there generally are not "loopholes." That word is simply used by the cheaters to try legitimizing their behavior.

A simple test is this: would you be able to successfully defend it to a scrutineer during an inspection? If you change your secret widget back to something more in-line with the rules just prior to an inspection... well that was cheating.

Post an example and we can be more specific.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA rule book has something along the lines of "If it does not say you can, you can't" this puts loopholes over the you can't line if you want to think of it that way. The 917 was a study in loophole management.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have found that loopholes are not enticements to cheat. They are an unanticipated modification or item someone discovers that falls with-in the letter of the rule, but not with-in its intention. One of the more famous ones was back in the 80's IIRC where USAC was trying to give a performance boost to "stock block" motors, i.e. American ones with push rods, and Penske came out with these specially built push rod Mercedes motors that just destroyed everyone that year.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Hey Larry, Update your avatar!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Ahem...
Club Racing SHOULD Equal Gentleman racing.

Those that are caught knowingly cheating for unfair advantage ought to wear a big Yellow "CHEATER" bumper sticker for the next 3 races.
Ok, but where do you draw the line? At WG, I was hit for being underweight by 6 pounds. I doubt that many competitors would say that my 5th place finish was due to being 6 pounds underweight by the end of the race (I could have refueled with about 30 minutes left in the race, but chose not to). However, if someone was 200 pounds underweight, then I would say that they likely had an unfair advantage. However, where is the cutoff between 6 and 200?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Ok, but where do you draw the line? At WG, I was hit for being underweight by 6 pounds. I doubt that many competitors would say that my 5th place finish was due to being 6 pounds underweight by the end of the race (I could have refueled with about 30 minutes left in the race, but chose not to). However, if someone was 200 pounds underweight, then I would say that they likely had an unfair advantage. However, where is the cutoff between 6 and 200?
Better than the time I got DQ'd for being 40lb underweight and then tossed in exactly 10 Gal gas, went back and weight went up 140LB!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

However, where is the cutoff between 6 and 200?
At about 0 lbs. underweight.......otherwise why have rules at all.........
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
At about 0 lbs. underweight.......otherwise why have rules at all.........
No argument with that and I really blame myself. I try to always check my car weight before the enduro to make sure this situation doesn't happen, and I let that slip that weekend. To be sure, the scales are different every weekend (and so is my tummy), so it makes sense to make sure that my car will still be legal by the end of the race.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

No argument with that and I really blame myself. I try to always check my car weight before the enduro to make sure this situation doesn't happen, and I let that slip that weekend. To be sure, the scales are different every weekend (and so is my tummy), so it makes sense to make sure that my car will still be legal by the end of the race.
NEVER trust the first weight they give you if it's less than what you believe it should be. Have them roll and double check wheel placement.. that's the point I was making above...
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
NEVER trust the first weight they give you if it's less than what you believe it should be. Have them roll and double check wheel placement.. that's the point I was making above...
+1, if you are sure of not being off, have them re-weight it.......

P.S. Nice new avatar Gary....those 15" wheels look faaaaaaaaast........
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I wish that was it, because I had them do exactly that. In the previous race weekend (Road Atlanta), I had them check the weight before the race, and I thought I had plenty of weight to spare... Due to that, I didn't bother checking before the WG race. So, I think the Road Atlanta weekend was incorrect in the wrong direction, and I got lazy and didn't check for WG.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I wish that was it, because I had them do exactly that. In the previous race weekend (Road Atlanta), I had them check the weight before the race, and I thought I had plenty of weight to spare... Due to that, I didn't bother checking before the WG race. So, I think the Road Atlanta weekend was incorrect in the wrong direction, and I got lazy and didn't check for WG.
The scales always read different. You have to weigh yourself at every race if you think you're close
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
The scales always read different. You have to weigh yourself at every race if you think you're close
Yep, and I almost always do that. I got lazy at WG, and I paid the price for my laziness. It was sheer stupidity on my part.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
Yes, learned that from you master Sensei...
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm a new guy and I must say I am simply appalled. In the poll 1 out of 5 racers admit to cheating. I, for one, want to race in equal cars so I can enjoy jockeying in a corner or trying to out brake my fellow racer. Creating a car that is faster so I might get a trophy seems absolutely anathema to me.

I'm a big boy and will simply race the best I can and try darn sure to make my car compliant (although I did get DQ'd in my first race by being underweight) but dang man why you's gotta ruin it by cheating?????

Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?