Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

Sean got me too. So did you! I need a hug...
Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
BTW winning tires or even cash never adds up to the amount you put into the car etc so winning is not financially beneficial to anyone but the race shops on an amateur level.
Oh contraire Pierre, Yokohama was berry, berry good to me last year......
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Easy to write the rule, actually implementing another story. NASA has such a provision but in 10 years of racing with NASA, never saw the protest rule used in our classes. NASA really had no one present that had the technical skills or time to perform the inspection. Plus the driver is responsible for taking the car (engine, tranny or whatever) apart and for reassembly. How many of us are going to put up with that crap in the middle of a race weekend. I would take my car somewhere else to race where things aren't that serious. .
PCA has the qualified scruts with the right tools (e.g., borescope, software readers, etc.). no need for tear down and driver doesn't have to do anything. Plus, a lot of the cheating in PCA is actually very obvious/easy to find.

Example - two years ago at the Glen they did a simple suspension check of the entire D class at the end of a session and moved 3 people up a class for violations.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin, Geoffrey,
I think you guys do a great job. I just can't imagine that there are many blatant, flagrant violations. If I'm wrong, then I agree it shouldn't be so secretive. These violations should be public knowledge... I learned in residency that the threat of public humiliation is the ultimate motivator.

And I also agree with many of you; the people who are usually accused of cheating are either:
A) Really fast experienced drivers.
B) Have fresh (legal) pro-built and dyno-tuned motors.
C) Or both A and B.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Oh contraire Pierre, Yokohama was berry, berry good to me last year......

Sure JR, but even the couple sets of tires I took home are not going to pay for the race weekend. It helps, but I don't see it as a profit center.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
PCA has the qualified scruts with the right tools (e.g., borescope, software readers, etc.). no need for tear down and driver doesn't have to do anything. Plus, a lot of the cheating in PCA is actually very obvious/easy to find.

Example - two years ago at the Glen they did a simple suspension check of the entire D class at the end of a session and moved 3 people up a class for violations.
Not to hijack Sean but what was the violation?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Bump steer kits IIRC.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
IIRC - bump steer, spindle height, flares (on an early car)
Old 01-22-2011, 12:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bump steer kits IIRC.
My dinosize brain was think'n that.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I say some public humiliation might not be a bad idea. Announce it in the drivers meeting when there is a serious violation like illegal pistons, hot cams etc, non stock gears in the transmission, etc. Those are blatant violations, not unintended oversights.

Look at the pro series. When someone is caught, the violation, the fine, any suspension etc are announced.
That is a GREAT idea.

Originally Posted by Astroman
And I also agree with many of you; the people who are usually accused of cheating are either:
A) Really fast experienced drivers.
B) Have fresh (legal) pro-built and dyno-tuned motors.
C) Or both A and B.
D) forgot to go to the scales before the race

Originally Posted by Sean F
The only change I'd like to see in PCA is an official protest action. Something similar to NASA where you can put up a bond and launch an official protest. The protest results in a scrut doing the full work up on a car (gears, cams, heads, etc.). You lose the protest, you lose the bond. Why couldn't that be instituted overnight? What happens now is that everybody sits around and bitches about somebody and sometimes they say something to the steward and sometimes a car gets looked at. Most of the time it's just guys stewing in the paddock or online. I know some are going to say you can protest now - what I'd like to see is an official action and process defined and followed by national that is evenly applied at all races.
In addition, why is there no limit to the number of infractions one can commit? IF you get a 13 for your infraction AND you commit another one during your probation, you are out for 13 months. But when you return, you can continue to commit the infractions and all you risk is another 13 months of probation and/or another 13 month suspension. At what point are you sent packing for good?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I love these cheater threads.

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
As a scrutineer, I can say that most of the consistently fast, winning guys have had legal cars when we check them. When we do find issues, it is most often the mid to back pack guys.
This is what I said in the recent 993 thread. The front runners have a far higher likelihood of getting the attention of the scruts.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sean humiliated me at Summit so now I feel I have a couple cheat races banked..
I like the way you think Gary.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Next time make sure those folks know that PCA does have the tools to check for gears. It's pretty easy actually. We basically bolt an angle gauge to the hub, and then turn the engine over...check against the chart and voila, instant gear ratio. I've found a few ring & pinions with it.
My position on it is that it's not my place to preach. 90% of the time I don't know what class they run the car in, or often don't even know the sanctioning body they run under. It's not part of the technical conversation.

I'll make an example. The single most popular 915 3rd gear is 1.318. That's 1 tooth shorter than the stock 1.261. Sometimes guys will run that with a 1.167 4th. Other times they will run it with a 1.080 4th. It all depends on their power and what tracks they run, redline, tire size etc. etc. Obviously the guy with the 1.167 is probably not trying to cheat and is running in a class that allows gearing. The guy running the 1.080 may or may not be trying to slip by the scrutineers in a stock class. But how am I to know?

I'm not in the business of scrutineering people. I am primarily a wholesale operation. The shops that are buying from me aren't paying me to tell them the rules. Knowing and following the rules are the car owner's and car builder's obligation. I am being paid to make people faster, and that's what I do.

And lastly, I concur with Dan Jacobs' sentiment. I think most of the guys cheating are in the middle of the pack. If their cheating starts to put them on the podium on a regular basis I think they're going to get caught. And I think they should get caught. Like others have said I personally don't see the point in it and it's not something I personally would ever condone.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

How dare you even suggest it!! Meet me at dawn with your knife. I'm bringing a gun
Old 01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I saw a guy come off track just ahead of me after a race, and and on the way to impound his mechanic tossed a bag of sand into the car under the passengers seat. I mentioned it to the scrut, but he was underweight even WITH the bad so got a DSQ. I don't know if they gave him any other penalty, he's been winning lots of races and workers choice awards since then.

Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?