Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
At WG for some reason the pace car was crawling along. At some points we were under 20 mph and that was in sight of the pace car which means those farther back were probably stopping and starting. I almost had to just quit the race or overheat the motor. That should never be a decision I have to make. No reason for a pace car to go that slow. Of course when I brought this up to the stew I was basically called a liar and dismissed.
Liar.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Liar.
Ha!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Although ten car-lengths does sound excessive, the difference in execution of the downhill (braking, turn-in, throttle application, line, etc.) can make a huge difference on the front straight.

I had quite a few much simpler episodes at WGI this year. I would gain on a car between T1 and the first 1/4 of the esses, getting on its bumper. The same car would then gain four car-lengths between there and the bus-stop.

This situation is simpler than yours at LRP. I had obviously executed T1 better than the other car (otherwise I wouldn't have caught it before the esses), but in the parts where we're both WOT, and there is almost zero technical action (turning, braking, throttle) to differentiate performance, it sails four car-lengths away. How does that happen?
Yes, but I caught him in every corner, lap after lap. So, in theory, my execution was consistently better than his. Not only that, but I was on his bumper all the way down the hill and onto the the straight and only then did he pull away. I have it all on video.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
Yes, but I caught him in every corner, lap after lap. So, in theory, my execution was consistently better than his. Not only that, but I was on his bumper all the way down the hill and onto the the straight and only then did he pull away. I have it all on video.
I agree, that must be HP.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Although ten car-lengths does sound excessive, the difference in execution of the downhill (braking, turn-in, throttle application, line, etc.) can make a huge difference on the front straight.

I had quite a few much simpler episodes at WGI this year. I would gain on a car between T1 and the first 1/4 of the esses, getting on its bumper. The same car would then gain four car-lengths between there and the bus-stop.

This situation is simpler than yours at LRP. I had obviously executed T1 better than the other car (otherwise I wouldn't have caught it before the esses), but in the parts where we're both WOT, and there is almost zero technical action (turning, braking, throttle) to differentiate performance, it sails four car-lengths away. How does that happen?
Do you have video? Maybe you weren't WOT in T3. A small breath off the gas, as some do there, can be a significant loss of momentum for an SPB.

Could also be your set up.

And your junkyard motor may not be all that great with the elevation change.. Have you dyno'd it?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I think I will let this one go......Show us your data and we will show you where the time is.....all I can tell you is running up front no one pulls anyone with hp. There are some really good drivers out there in SPB....become a data ***** and you will improve...
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Do you have video? Maybe you weren't WOT in T3. A small breath off the gas, as some do there, can be a significant loss of momentum for an SPB.

Could also be your set up.

And your junkyard motor may not be all that great with the elevation change. Have you dyno'd it?
No video. Still working out camera problems. 100% WOT from T1 to bus-stop. Haven't dyno'd the motor -- 50k street miles and perfect compression/leak-down numbers. Mechanic (specializes in and raced spb) says it's a good one but probably not as good as the $25k 'magic sauce' ones.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

I suspect that a closer examination of your data will help you discover places you are leaving time on the table.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I suspect that a closer examination of your data will help you discover places you are leaving time on the table.
I know there is time I can find -- there always is. Didn't want to turn this into a 'where can I find time?' thread. Just gave a specific example which I couldn't explain by anything other than HP differential. Granted, it could also be due to my motor being complete crap. A track dyno (same day, temp, conditions) would provide some clarity as to what's what.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

The Esses are a lot more complex than people think. It's easy to blame HP, whereas very subtle differences in how and where one adjusts steering angle all through the Eases can have a marked difference in lap times and MPH into the bus stop. There is at least one client of mine who has posted in this thread who saw that first hand when we worked together a little bit just from video and data at the Glen last year...
Old 06-20-2017, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
Yea I think I will let this one go......Show us your data and we will show you where the time is.....all I can tell you is running up front no one pulls anyone with hp. There are some really good drivers out there in SPB....become a data ***** and you will improve...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Peter is the data pimp!
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the mx-5 cup qualifying from Indy this past weekend is a great example. Sealed motors, identical builds, not identical setups.

Top qualifying was a 1:43.4497; 20th qualifying spot was 1:45.4398. It certainly wasn't HP.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

there are cheaters and there are losers
- Bobby Archer
Old 06-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
.....all I can tell you is running up front no one pulls anyone with hp.
Does anyone run up front with a "junkyard" motor?

Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?