Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???..about the 'new' corner technique...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

utkinpol, 335's in the rear with 245's up front is not a good combo. You don't need that much rear tire on a 997S, especially with 245 or even 255's up front.

Anyway, some of the things I been taugh lately, read about and practice are:

Over slowing a 911 on corner entry especially in faster type of corners is something that is a comon mistake especially in the DE crowd. I was taugh slow in fast out. While that is safe for total beginners it is not the fast way. I've also seriously adjusted my driving line from very late turn in and apex's to something that is more of an arc.

I've learned that since the weight is in the rear of my 997S that I can take corners at a higher speed than I thought. This is because the front tires are not being over loaded on my 997. I've been taught that I can get off the brakes eariler and let the car sail through these type of corners because now my car has more of a neutral weight distribution. On some of these corners I can use some throttle maintanance after turn in and because my car is more balance I can get on the throttle earlier.

I've also found that if I am understeering in a corner I can acellerate just a little later and smoother next time through this particular corner. There is no need to add more steering and keep on understeering through the corner.

Also I use to think and was taugh early in my driving that I should either be on the throttle or on the brake. This is really not the correct way. Because of this I was having some mid corner push. As my corner speeds picked up I learned to be a little more patient.

All in all I practice these things but after some practice I just go out and try not to OVER THINK every thing and I just drive the car. That seems to work best for me...be aware of these techniques, work on them but really just go drive the car.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
utkinpol, 335's in the rear with 245's up front is not a good combo. You don't need that much rear tire on a 997S, especially with 245 or even 255's up front.
most likely I will buy another rims set mid season for AX alone in 10" or 9.5" f 12"r to have staggered rubber on it and will revert to less rubber for track events. will see.

what you say makes sense theoretically but practically I tried 235/295, 245/295, 245/305 and 265/335. last one was best grip and most stable setup by far.
i did not try 255/315 which probably should be a best fit to 9"/12" rims. but they exist in r888 only and most people I know personally hate them. v710 do not have 255 nor 265. and I do not want to buy hoosiers. so it limits my choices quite dramatically, practically leaving only r888 as a single choice in this sizing. i know you recommend RA1 in 245/305 for 9/12 rims but 305 is not a best fit for 12".

so, i have now 335 and 245 RA1s in storage, as well as 255 r888, so during this season I will have a chance to run those too, with 315 r888 when i`ll find them half priced somewhere.

for AX i think i may try 275/335 if I`ll make 9.5" or 10" rim fit in front. will see. it is all fun anyway.

from what I was told and saw myself cup cars in the shop I use get 10" with 265mm slicks in front and 12" rear rims with 320mm slicks. just something to take to consideration, I would say. but they have more camber, way stiffer springs and sit much much lower. still, there is definitely some R&D behind what people with big $ do, I think.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-22-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Many folks here have driven Road Atlanta. I would have to say that T1 there may be the prototypical corner to practice this skill.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Another corner in which to practice this may be T6 (the Laces) at Watkins Glen. Many folks tend to enter from all the way track right, brake hard, turn in & apex late, and square it off. Whereas coming in a bit off the right side (which is where the car naturally winds up coming out of 5 most of the time anyway), braking a bit sooner & lighter, then turning in a bit sooner & with less steering angle, and thus "hugging" the inner curbing for a bit longer, often results in more midcorner speed & exit speed down to the Toe.....as well as a more stable car.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree and so does my data. That said, it's still a corner I have to do some work on (as is 1...)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:
Many folks here have driven Road Atlanta. I would have to say that T1 there may be the prototypical corner to practice this skill.

Another corner in which to practice this may be T6 (the Laces) at Watkins Glen. Many folks tend to enter from all the way track right, brake hard, turn in & apex late, and square it off. Whereas coming in a bit off the right side (which is where the car naturally winds up coming out of 5 most of the time anyway), braking a bit sooner & lighter, then turning in a bit sooner & with less steering angle, and thus "hugging" the inner curbing for a bit longer, often results in more midcorner speed & exit speed down to the Toe.....as well as a more stable car.

VR,Wow nice.... now you are quoting yourself.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

VR,Wow nice.... now you are quoting yourself.

LOL....gives me someone to talk to.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL....gives me someone to talk to.

Ok, then, Gandalf...

"I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying."

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hahahahahahaaa!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyway, some of the things I been taugh lately, read about and practice are:

Over slowing a 911 on corner entry especially in faster type of corners is something that is a comon mistake especially in the DE crowd. I was taugh slow in fast out. While that is safe for total beginners it is not the fast way. I've also seriously adjusted my driving line from very late turn in and apex's to something that is more of an arc.

I've learned that since the weight is in the rear of my 997S that I can take corners at a higher speed than I thought. This is because the front tires are not being over loaded on my 997. I've been taught that I can get off the brakes eariler and let the car sail through these type of corners because now my car has more of a neutral weight distribution. On some of these corners I can use some throttle maintanance after turn in and because my car is more balance I can get on the throttle earlier.

I've also found that if I am understeering in a corner I can acellerate just a little later and smoother next time through this particular corner. There is no need to add more steering and keep on understeering through the corner.

Also I use to think and was taugh early in my driving that I should either be on the throttle or on the brake. This is really not the correct way. Because of this I was having some mid corner push. As my corner speeds picked up I learned to be a little more patient.

All in all I practice these things but after some practice I just go out and try not to OVER THINK every thing and I just drive the car. That seems to work best for me...be aware of these techniques, work on them but really just go drive the car.
Mike, well said and I agree. We have to remember way back when we learned the DE driving techniques, they were geared for the safest way around the track not the fastest. We then carried alot of that technique with us and they actually became bad habits that kept our lap times down as we progressed.
You summarized them nicely, and to me proved my point of getting coaching. when back in the day we would have another PCA instructor ride with us, they thought all was great. then have a race coach ride with you and your learning starts anew!

see ya at 48hour
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, fast and safe are not the same around a track.

Quick Reply: ???..about the 'new' corner technique...