Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default F1 bosses vote Alonso the best of 2010

F1 bosses vote Alonso the best of 2010
By Jonathan Noble Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 16:24 GMT

Fernando Alonso has been voted as the best driver of 2010 in AUTOSPORT's exclusive team principals' top 10 poll.

In a now end-of-season tradition, AUTOSPORT asked each of the current 12 team principals for their top 10 driver rankings of the 2010 campaign.

Their individual results, which are kept secret, were then converted into the new points system (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1) and the final scores added up to discover which driver the team bosses believed had done the best job throughout the campaign.

Although Alonso missed out on the world championship following a troubled Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Spaniard managed to beat title winner Sebastian Vettel in the team principals' eyes.

Alonso beat Vettel by nine points overall after the votes of all the team principals were added up - moving him up from fourth place overall where he was voted last season.

Although just missing out on the world title, Alonso has said that his 2010 campaign for Ferrari was the best of his career - as he delivered five victories in his maiden campaign for the Maranello outfit.

"I am very pleased to learn that the majority of team principals chose me as their best driver of the year, even if it goes without saying that I would have preferred to receive that accolade in the guise of world champion," said Alonso.

"It is yet another reason to claim this has been an amazing season, despite the disappointment at the final hurdle.

"The team and I fought all the way to the very end, without ever giving up, even when it all seemed like a lost cause: we staged a remarkable comeback. Next year, we will be looking to do better, but I will still remember 2010 as a wonderful year."

Team boss Stefano Domenicali added: "I am pleased and proud that Fernando has been rated by my fellow team principals as the best driver of this past year: he had a fantastic season.

"It is hardly a secret that he is a talented driver, but I must say, on behalf of everyone at Ferrari, that it was an honour for us to work with him from the human perspective. Fernando was a driving force and our aim next year will be to give him and Felipe a car which is competitive at the very highest level, right from the first race."

Vettel, who was the team principals' top driver of 2009 despite not winning the crown, edged out Lewis Hamilton for second place - with Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber taking fourth overall.

Nico Hulkenberg, who was dropped by Williams at the end of the campaign, impressed rival teams enough to be the only rookie to make it into the top ten.

The full results of AUTOSPORT's team principals' top 10 drivers, which includes Ferrari's vote that came too late to be included in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine F1 season review, are:

1. Alonso 229
2. Vettel 220
3. Hamilton 196
4. Webber 146
5. Kubica 129
6. Button 86
7. Rosberg 68
8. Hulkenberg 17
9. Massa 17
10. Barrichello 11
Once again, people that know what they are talking, about have said it!
He is the best driver in the current crop.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should make him feel better.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with their assessment, I think Alonso had made the most of his car this season better than anyone else. However Webber being that far behind Vettel is a J-O-K-E. He should actually be in front of Vettel considering who the obvious RB favorite was. Webber should be second IMO considering the odds he faced.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I jess threw up a little in my mouth.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

So does this mean the championship was a waste of time. Why don't these team principals just vote at the beginning of each season to determine who really should be the bestest!. then no one actually has to waste money on doing any of the races. We could even simulate the races taking this poll into consideration. Alonso wins all 19 races by a massive margin. In fact every other driver didn't even get past the practice sessions because they knew they could not beat the Man Alonso.

This poll means absolutely nothing to anyone except for the magazine it was printed in, the people that read it and the Alonso supporters that are still trying to justify Alonso was robbed. Get over it Vettel won, and in my eyes he deserved it.
Sean
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I agree with their assessment, I think Alonso had made the most of his car this season better than anyone else. However Webber being that far behind Vettel is a J-O-K-E. He should actually be in front of Vettel considering who the obvious RB favorite was. Webber should be second IMO considering the odds he faced.

Agree .. Vettel is another ram down your throat faux champion ....

Imagaine Pete had predicted Alonso would be toast and kicked out of F1 at season's end ... WAFJ..

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
So does this mean the championship was a waste of time. Why don't these team principals just vote at the beginning of each season to determine who really should be the bestest!. then no one actually has to waste money on doing any of the races. We could even simulate the races taking this poll into consideration. Alonso wins all 19 races by a massive margin. In fact every other driver didn't even get past the practice sessions because they knew they could not beat the Man Alonso.

This poll means absolutely nothing to anyone except for the magazine it was printed in, the people that read it and the Alonso supporters that are still trying to justify Alonso was robbed. Get over it Vettel won, and in my eyes he deserved it.
Sean
They actually do, ultimately Bernie decides. Vettel did not win, he just happens to be slower than Webber and the WWF1 2010 WDC faux champion...

Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
They actually do, ultimately Bernie decides. Vettel did not win, he just happens to be slower than Webber and the WWF1 2010 WDC faux champion...

I wont disagree with you A.Wayne, there are team orders and team influence in F1. As everyone already knows, but for some reason some try to either not believe they exist or believe it's bad for the sport. F1 is a very expensive game, money will always win in the end. Redbull, Ferrari, and maclaren have ****loads of it, they have the best test facilities, afford the best drivers and in my opinion will always be the winners in a money talk game. I watched the entire season this year and even though I support webber (bit patriotic) I felt vettel a more deserving champion. He had some unfortunate DNFs this year which seemed to me not to be his fault. This year he was the fastest driver. I don't play into this faux champ persona. This is the F1 game, who ever plays F1 the best is the champion. I enjoy watching the politics as much as the racing in F1, 19 races and every day another story or drama is pushed to the public from the teams to keep us entertained
Sean
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes me wonder if Adrian Newey could make a winner out of one of the low budget cars. Red Bull wasn't good until he got there, but they always had loads of cash. Could he build a winner out of an HRT?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And in news around the world, the Russian Government voted Alonso "2010 Sportsman of the Year".

As part of the award, Alonso has been invited by Vladimir Putin to accompany him on a private hunting trip, along with Vitaly Petrov. No word from Alonso in whether or not he will accept the award and invitation.

Also, the WMSC and the FIA, following the lead of the CIK, ave voted to reclassify the official title of the driver who finishes 2nd in the F1 WDC.

Rather than being called "2nd place" or "1st loser" or "Friday practice WDC", "Driver voted Most Likely to Succeed by his high school classmates", it has been announced that Alonso has won the title of "Vice-Champion" for the 2010 season.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sir A.Wayne and/or Raj ... Where is Luis De Prat ?

Shouldn't he be here to share this moment?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Agree with you 90% expect for the fact that Webber caved in when it mattered. Not sure if there were games played within the team and his car was suboptimal, but he did not perform to the car's level towards the end of the season. Why was that the case, nobody knows.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
...Not sure if there were games played within the team and his car was suboptimal, but he did not perform to the car's level towards the end of the season. Why was that the case, nobody knows.
Given Webber's persona, I am sure we woiuld have heard it if there were "any games being played"...

But hey, why not, let's just wildly speculate as it will help tangentially support the case that Alonso "should" have been World Champion...

The Autosport ranking is a fair assessement. Alonso and Vettel ARE very close this past year IMO.

At then end of the day, it is an interesting poll, but does not change the fundamental fact that Sebastian Vettel is the deserved 2010 World Champion.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Agree .. Vettel is another ram down your throat faux champion ....

Imagaine Pete had predicted Alonso would be toast and kicked out of F1 at season's end ... WAFJ..

More of the endless supply of horse **** from the faux expert.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now Alonso can stop his crying like a school girl...

Quick Reply: F1 bosses vote Alonso the best of 2010