Sponsored by:

Top Gear US Version

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:57 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Top Gear US Version

Anybody catch the US version of Top Gear last night? If so what did you think?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Good try. Maybe the hosts will grow on us but you can never beat the original. Nice to see the Viper beat all the Lambos! Wonder if a GT2 can beat it?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

The only thing that concerns me about this show in the US is that it is advertiser-driven, whereas the BBC version is not. Meaning: the BBC version can slam a true POS and call it a POS, without suffering any advertiser retribution. The US version cannot, and thus I suspect its critiques will be watered down to avoid offending automotive advertisers.

On the other hand, Foust can REALLY drive. I have witnessed this firsthand. The guy is a true top tier shoe.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably should be in an OT forum, but . . .

I did catch the show. I'm a big Top Gear (UK), so my impressions are from the perspective of a show I really enjoy. The US version was flat and dull--no spice or zing to engage anyone. It felt forced and formulaic. The format is essentially the same as the UK version, and I was surprised that there was not a single reference along the lines of, "If your familiar with the UK show . . ." Nor any statement/reference to how the show might be different, or why anyone should really tune in for a second time.

I sensed no real passion out of the hosts, and I got no sense that there was strong, creative production team putting the show together. And, one of the things I like about the British hosts is that they are creative nuts with a lot of unique charisma--even Captain Slow--and good wits. The US hosts aren't of that type at all. Stopping a test run in the Very Small Car to ask who had lunch!? Really!? Very lame and not funny.

And then there was The Stig . . . ? I missed the intro to his run in the Viper ACR--very cool car btw--and did not see if they gave him a proper introduction. But was it a US Stig, some other kind of Stig . . .? Did not seem to work for me.

Anyway, I'll probably tune in for the 2nd installment, but I do not have high hopes.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It was like a Camaro to Britain's Aston Marin Vanquish. Compare cars in a standing
mile, not on their road course? Call their professional driver 'Stig' too? The crucial
element that makes the real Top Gear good is that they found three well-spoken
and humorous WRITERS who love cars. What's the chance in hell that these
new guys are simultaneously capable and allowed to make the politically pointed
side-commentary the Brits were? I wish these new guys well, but I can't hope
yet that they will do anything closer than a blow-up model to the original Pamela...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Its another car show, that's a plus. It is better than 99% of all Speed programming. Love him or hate him, Clarkson is sharp witty and engagning and most of what will make any attempt to re-create Top Gear seem a bit bland.

I'll keep watching...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Yawn.... I was expecting a lot more. I have a feeling they are just going to re-do the BBC version.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I was dissapointed, but I also expected that. Pretty slow paced, trying to re-create bbc's camera work, just a cut-and-paste version. I'll keep watching, and hoping that it will get better. Will be interesting to see, as vr said, if they will call a pos a pos, or if they water it down. I think that may be the litmus test. If they can get away with offending sponsors and staying on air, that would be a neat trick.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Watching paint dry is more fun...

My 5 yr old son who watches the BBC Top Gear & Laughs until he gets hicups... Got so bored that he left the room to read a book with his mother!

Last edited by CWhaley; 11-22-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Watching paint dry is more fun...

My 5 yr old son who watch the BBC Top Gear & Laughs until he gets hicups... Got so bored that he left the room to read a book with his mother!
Ouch. Maybe they will get better. It seemed like they were trying really hard.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintamx
Probably should be in an OT forum, but . . .

I did catch the show. I'm a big Top Gear (UK), so my impressions are from the perspective of a show I really enjoy. The US version was flat and dull--no spice or zing to engage anyone. It felt forced and formulaic. The format is essentially the same as the UK version, and I was surprised that there was not a single reference along the lines of, "If your familiar with the UK show . . ." Nor any statement/reference to how the show might be different, or why anyone should really tune in for a second time.

I sensed no real passion out of the hosts, and I got no sense that there was strong, creative production team putting the show together. And, one of the things I like about the British hosts is that they are creative nuts with a lot of unique charisma--even Captain Slow--and good wits. The US hosts aren't of that type at all. Stopping a test run in the Very Small Car to ask who had lunch!? Really!? Very lame and not funny.

And then there was The Stig . . . ? I missed the intro to his run in the Viper ACR--very cool car btw--and did not see if they gave him a proper introduction. But was it a US Stig, some other kind of Stig . . .? Did not seem to work for me.

Anyway, I'll probably tune in for the 2nd installment, but I do not have high hopes.
+1
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

In my opinion the reason the UK version works is the personalities of the hosts. They found car guys that each have a unique and rather obvious personality that have interacted well with one another. They are each fun in their on way.
The US version will need to have these personalities develop and click together rather quickly or it will die. Unfortunately first impressions are difficult to get past.
As to the Stig, lame, they did an exact copy of the name and the suit without the magic of the introduction or the mystique. The concept should have been followed, but with a creative new version.
I don't think the honesty regarding car reviews is important. People watch the UK version for entertainment, this is not Consumer Reports.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be fixed. Just get the guys from "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers" to run the show. Chumlee -- Now there's an original thinker.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be interesting to hear Clarkson's take on the show, since he's not known for his political correctness!

JF
Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

your welcome

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...p1_2089556.htm

Quick Reply: Top Gear US Version