Sponsored by:

Top Gear US Version

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
Oddly enough this was pretty good. No UK version by any stretch but more watchable then that **** they passed last week...

Link:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-2_2092026.htm

Yes, much better... The writing, camera work, and editing all reminded me of the UK version much more than the first episode did. The hosts still need work, but they were better than last time. I did enjoy seeing a blind man beat them at a driving competition, although as a Nissan Z owner, I really don't need any more kids inspired to drive like idiots in or around these cars.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while not the best show, it was much better than almost everything on this weekend( not counting football ) I will watch it just to help the ratings so more shows like this will be produced
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
sig_a
Pro

Still too staged looking.......dusty dry lake camera work re. GM ad for Cadillac CTS. Producers need more originality. Hosts are too young. Get Jacky Stewart, Niki Lauda, Rick Mears.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Hosts are too young? You want guys in their 50's and 70's? As amazing as those names are - you'd have to change the title to: "old gear"
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

I hope it gets better and better. It's near impossible to match the original, but i enjoyed watching it yesterday. Some uncomfortable moments still, but if this is step 2, I am really looking forward to step 3 and 4.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoyed both episodes, but this second one was better.

The Top Gear track is located at El Toro Airport in Irvine, CA. PCA runs autocrosses there once a month and it is a good location, lots of film production companies in SoCal, not that many venues where to test cars.

I like to see the U.S. version cars tested. I also like the fact that the Top Gear track is not glass smooth, becuase face it, real tracks have bumps, real roads have bumps.

I was pretty impressed with the lap times from the LP570/4 Superleggera, just 0.8 secs behind the Viper ACR, and the Lambo was on crappy and skinny Pirelli Corsa System tires.

The Vantage V12 was beautiful to look at.

Here is a link to the Top Gear USA track map ==> http://jalopnik.com/5672084/top-gear...tigs-new-track

Contrary to the UK show, this track has some minor elevation changes, off-camber turns, massive grip on the fast sections.

Surely, the UK version has a higher budget and they can do more stuff, but the USA version is a good start.

I also enjoyed Top Gear USA much more than anything going on Speed Channel. The only thing worth it in Speed is F1 and ALMS. The reduced coverage of the Porsche SuperCup and GP2 blows. I'm sick and tired of Speed.

Adam was more fun on this last episode, Tanner is a very committed and good driver, he provides great technical input on the car dynamics, something I want to hear from a car I'm interested on buying.

That Mitsu Evo X was very surprising, how can that little sedan handle such a massive amount of snow?

Keep in mind that this show is not designed to attract or steal the Top Gear UK audience, but bring a brand new audience and motor heads to watch something fresher (and more useful).

I also like the fact that if I ever miss an episode, I can go online and watch it right away, instead of dealing with lengthy downloads, bit torrents, etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Top Gear USA is not designed to attract the top gear UK audience?

Really?

Where did you get this info? Im curious because every television show Ive ever produced has been designed to get as many viewers as possible - no matter where they come from. More viewers = higher ratings = higher ad sales rates.

The show is designed to turn a profit. Top Gear UK is funded partly by the BBC license fees which help it to avoid having to please sponsors, and keeps its production budget high.

The larger question - which no one has asked yet is - Why is it on the History channel? Another example of channels doing anything for a hit regardless of their branding. Thats why American Chopper is on TLC and The Walking Dead is on AMC. They dont know how to make money with their brands.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
The larger question - which no one has asked yet is - Why is it on the History channel? Another example of channels doing anything for a hit regardless of their branding. Thats why American Chopper is on TLC and The Walking Dead is on AMC. They dont know how to make money with their brands.
It was supposed to be on NBC but they dropped it. I could care less where it landed as long as I know how to find it every week.

As with everyone else, this week was much better. Even Rutledge was better this episode though there's really still no chemistry between any of the hosts.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

I haven't read through this, so I may be repeating somebody else's impression but.....I think Rutledge is an idiot, he's just a goodball that hosts these rediculous shows for NASCAR
Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 AM
sig_a
Pro

First thing to correct is to drop the pretension of being the US version of British version. So far, neither funny or informative. Target content to "old folks" market who hold most of the USA disposable money, and where humor and sex still sell...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The only thing worth it in Speed is F1 and ALMS. The reduced coverage of the Porsche SuperCup and GP2 blows. I'm sick and tired of Speed.
+100 The really sad part is that if watch Speed in the UK or EU it's nothing but road racing - open and closed wheel going down 3-4 levels. Just excellent coverage.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+100 The really sad part is that if watch Speed in the UK or EU it's nothing but road racing - open and closed wheel going down 3-4 levels. Just excellent coverage.
Oh, it really blows to learn that. SPEED has so overloaded it's NASCAR programing with utter crap that it's sickening. Hours of pre-race blather, the Racing Chef, NASCAR Smarts with Rutledge Wood and the worst was the talent show they had... If I ever got locked in a room with just this stuff on, please someone kick in the door and shoot me. The only decent one I've actually left on is NASCAR Performance.

Regarding Top Gear US, I thought it was still a turd. Wood and that Adam guy need to go, they are just bad. I think Wood needed the lake bed to look fast and slide the Aston a little without fear of hitting anything. Chemistry between the hosts will come with time, but great chemistry between three lousy host will not make the show a winner. Tanner is not a great personality, but could fill the straight guy roll okay with two decent partners.

Quick Reply: Top Gear US Version