genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Adam Carolla is sorely needed.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

My guess is Faust is doing double duty as the Stig.

Way too scripted, and not very well at that.

I doubt the UK TG will offer any disparaging comments as BBC either owns, licenses or is a partner in the US version.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Link to the First Episode

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gea...r-cobra-attack

Be your own judge, enjoy.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The STIG os a perfect role for Foust put him in a helmet & don't allow him to speak. Yes he can drive but he has the personality of a chair. The interview with Buzz Aldrin was painful they also didn't even explain the track & or what the STIG is. I guess they think that all the American viewers have seen the real show.

They should have a disclaimer before the show that its a cheap knockoff like the Rolex you can buy on a Mexican vacation.

A buddy said recently "Tanner Foust puts me to sleep faster than an Ambien with a shot of Patron." I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
Anybody catch the US version of Top Gear last night? If so what did you think?
The good parts.

Same storylines
same production videography

The bad
TG USA track is way too bumpy
TG USA hosts are BORNING. Tanner may be able to drive and maybe a "pretty boy", but man he is dull.

The other two guys are... well who are they. Seems like no talent no pernsonality. Maybe they will gel? I will give it a few more chances.

BTW... it was the first TG I fast forward through on DVR.

If Patrick Dempsey were on TG my wife would watch it in hearbeat.

The hard part is we know the show has potential, but good hosts are the key. All these guys are boring with no personality. Let face it Tanner is just not funny.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
The bad
TG USA track is way too bumpy
TG USA hosts are BORNING. Tanner may be able to drive and maybe a "pretty boy", but man he is dull.

The hard part is we know the show has potential, but good hosts are the key. All these guys are boring with no personality. Let face it Tanner is just not funny.
Yeah, with all the decent tracks (short ones) available here, was it really necessary to use an airfield like the UK? The cones and plastic jersey barriers looked rather cheesy.

I think a US version could make it, but it will need tweaking and new hosts.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most everyones comments, the show just sucks yet it is a car show that doesn't revolve around NASCAR. I plan to watch it and support it and hope changes are made to make it better (new hosts) hell I will do that job for free. I think my 6' 3 1/2" 265 lb fat *** trying to squeeze into a lambo or Lotus could be very entertaining.
One of the things I like best about the BBC version however is their total honesty about the cars they test, there is no BS pandering to the advertisers and in my opinion this plays a considerable part in their successful formula.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sucked.

And I went and watched Top Gear's (the original, UK Top Gear) 1st episode to see how "stiff" that was.

It was stiff alright when compared to today's Top Gear but it was 10 times better than this "Top" gear and not to mention, original.

These three hosts are boring, I really hope they get replaced with personalities but even with that, I'm afraid with US television rules, advertisement etc. it will never be even near the real Top Gear even if they had real personalities as hosts because they can't say what they think, everything has to be PC or someone will get their panties in a bunch.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by JWERION
One of the things I like best about the BBC version however is their total honesty about the cars they test, there is no BS pandering to the advertisers and in my opinion this plays a considerable part in their successful formula.
Agree, although it's "honest" but not necessarily "accurate." They will generally consider anything American to be rubbish, and anything British to be smashing.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Well, they do think that TVR's spontaneously combust, so I wouldn't say they think all things british are great. They come down pretty hard on most of the older british leyland made stuff too.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I sat down and suffered through the episode last night. Even my wife who somewhat likes TG UK said "this sucks. These guys aren't even remotely funny."

You would think that the producers, who know how TGUK has evolved and what it took to make it successful (particularly the interaction of the hosts) would have spent more time with these 3 before shooting the first episode. Entertainers like Carolla and Leno have the skills of timing and delivery (and voice inflection, too); these 3, not so much...

Since it's a slow time of year for the car enthusiast I'll probably watch another episode. If it were the summer, though, w/ my Tivo full of ALMS, GA, F1, new TGUKs, etc., I wouldn't give this show another thought...
Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I finally watched, and it's OK. It's a mere shadow of the UKTG, but better than a lot of the dreck out there. The test track has no character and the camera angles were awful.

And who would have guessed that Tony Danza would look so good after all those years? ;-)
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Weston
Racer

The US version's hosts have no chemistry or wit, and their competitions were lame... The helicopter car chase was downright retarded, and their Lambo drag race is pretty boring when it's just solo runs. And where did they buy their cameras and mounts? Walmart!? I've seen far better image stability from just a cheap Aiptek camera duct-taped to a roll cage.

The shenanigans of 3 crazy Brits is why the UK version is such a hit. As much as it would be nice to have something of our own here, I sure don't see the US trifecta of fail replicating that. I do find it funny that the US Stig is noticeably fatter than the UK Stig though.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The only thing that concerns me about this show in the US is that it is advertiser-driven, whereas the BBC version is not. Meaning: the BBC version can slam a true POS and call it a POS, without suffering any advertiser retribution. The US version cannot, and thus I suspect its critiques will be watered down to avoid offending automotive advertisers.
That's true of most US TV. Mythbusters couldn't test the security (or lack thereof) of MasterCard and Visa's new RFID cards for the same reason. Even our "news" is advertiser-centric.

On the other hand, Foust can REALLY drive. I have witnessed this firsthand. The guy is a true top tier shoe.
Too bad he spent the whole time drifting like a dumbass, standing there awkwardly, making really half-assed analogies, and then crying that he didn't have any tires left.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
944CS
Drifting

If they wanted to make a UK top gear, what they should have done was bring hammond, clarkson, and may over to the US and film the show in the US.

The show might be a breath of fresh air for someone who never saw the UK show, but seriously, what percentage of viewers are watching Top Gear USA who aren't viewers of Top Gear UK?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:24 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
Too bad he spent the whole time drifting like a dumbass, standing there awkwardly, making really half-assed analogies, and then crying that he didn't have any tires left.
FWIW, Clarkson does the same crap, drifting around all the corners. It does "look" cool, but we all know it's the slow way around a track.

Quick Reply: Top Gear US Version