Bruno Senna
0%
Lucas di Grassi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Sakon Yamamoto
0%
Takuma Sato (Master of all that is carbon fiber)
4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010 | 07:47 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
...No amount of spin can ever change that.
Very true, but he will try.

Really, really, hard.

Won't change my mind one iota though.
Old 12-03-2010 | 07:56 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

AW's trajectory in this thread.

Old 12-03-2010 | 09:47 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Winning in Motorsports has always been about who is the best car/driver combination and then throw a little good/bad luck into the mix. In 2010 Vettel/Red Bull was the best combo. But we will never know what would have happened if someone like Hamilton, Alonso or even a Kubica had been driving for Red Bull (plus what if Vettel was in a McLaren or Ferrari). One can play the what if game all day long. Vettel made mistakes in 2010 and Red Bull also had some reliability issues throughout the year. But Vettel still brought his "A" game late in the season to ****** victory from defeat. Alonso and Ferrari were too busy practicing their victory speech in the middle of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and before you knew it Alonso actually had to fight for his WDC (point bys only work in DE Track Days) and well history shows us he did not fight hard enough for the win.

2010 will still go down as a great season (even if your preferred driver/team did not win). I can only hope that 2011 is as entertaining and to tell you the truth I hope McLaren, Ferrari and all the other teams can up their game and give Red Bull a run for their money. Having one dominant driver/team is not what we want.

I missed most of the Schumacher Ferrari years (I was off making 1600+ real world skydives when Schumacher dominated F1). A couple of weeks ago I have started an ambitious task of going back in history and re-watched races that I either watched and forgot or didn't watch in the first place. I started in '93 and am in the middle of the '96 season right now. If I make it watching all of these historical races back to 2010 before the start of 2011 season I will NOT be an expert in F1. But I will be current in knowing what happened. I have to say watching the '93, '94, '95 and part way through '96 seasons all within the last few weeks I am thoroughly impressed with Schumacher's driving ability. His move to Ferrari in '96 appeared to be a mistake as Damon Hill is absolutely dominating with Williams in '96. But well history is also on the side of Schumacher winning with Ferrari. Of course I can't comment yet on those Schumacher Ferrari wins. But during this off season I am motivated to watch all these historical races (they have burned up 350+ gigs on my hard drive) and I will be in a better position to make an opinion as to whether or not someone was the best in a given year. I will say this, even though he cracked under pressure and ended up losing in '94 and '95, Damon Hill never stopped fighting trying to beat Schumacher. In 2010 at Abu Dhabi Alonso threw in the towel when Petrov didn't give him his much expected point by. Go back and watch some of the old races and you will see these guys tried much harder than Alonso tried.

But remember ... in Motorsports you need the best driver in the best car and have some luck on your side (or at least stay away from the bad luck) to win. In 2010 Sebastian Vettel + Red Bull Racing was the best combination. No amount of spin can ever change that.
It's quite clear you are still coming up to speed on F1 and racing. You cannot compare era's, it's apples to oranges. In the past, it was much easier to pass due to various reason:aero, tracks all played a major role to helping us enjoy a lot of passing. All that is non existant on circuits like Singapore, AbuDhabi, just to name a few. It doesn't matter what you drive.
Webber had the best car in the field, yet he couldn't make any passes either. How do you explain that? Webber had just as much on line as Alonso and he couldn't even get close and we all know how fast his RBR is.
My point is, it's very easy to use terms like point by, but much harder to actually execute a clean pass on some of these circuits. Hopefully, in time you will understand what I mean.
When you look at some of vintage racing, try paying attention to the tracks and the aero package those cars ran. It's apples and oranges.
Cheers.
Old 12-03-2010 | 10:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

For someone who claims to be the resident expert in world of Formula One racing, you sure do not know much about the history of the sport. Not only did a Benetton driver (Schumacher) win the World Driver Championship in '95, the Benetton team also won the Constructor's Championship in the same year.

1995 Driver Championship Standings:
http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/1995/

1995 Constructor Championship Standings:
http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1995/
I see the problem .. poor comprehension ...

i said, BENETTON DID NOT WIN BOTH MC... (94 /95) where is the error .. cupcakes...

Put on your glasses , you seem to know very little about the sport and less about it's subtleties . But i'm a reasonable person and have no ill feelings towards your cash, so maybe a wager on the 2011 season, I'm sure you won't mind taking advantage of my poor judgment and lack of knowledge .....

I sure would like to take advantage of yours .........
Old 12-03-2010 | 10:27 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The sport is easy to predict
So easy, that you predicted Vettel to win the WDC this year. That was very impressive.

How did you know Vettel would win?

So, if it is so easy, predict the 2011 champion. Now!! Do it... Do it... Who will win A. Wayne? Tell us...
Old 12-03-2010 | 10:32 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
So easy, that you predicted Vettel to win the WDC this year. That was very impressive.

So, if it is so easy, predict the 2011 champion. Now!! Do it... Do it... Who will win A. Wayne? Tell us...
Easy der Pee Pee Ohh... I do tell every year, but it will cost you , so if and when you are ready to wager a bottle , ohhh please do contacto ......
Old 12-03-2010 | 11:28 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It's quite clear you are still coming up to speed on F1 and racing.
I have been a fan of F1 since the 1970s and have even attended a few races (though it has been many moons since I last saw one live). I just didn't necessarily have the intense interest in the sport back then as I currently have and I definitely do not think of myself as an expert. All I said is while Schumacher was off dominating the world of F1 during his Ferrari years, I was off in the real world skydiving since I thought jumping out of airplanes was so much more fun than parking my *** in front of the TV to watch a race. So yes I am in no position (yet) to say whether or not Schumacher during in his Ferrari years was given anything easy. I will let you know in a month or two if my opinion on the matter changes.

BTW ... 2/3 (almost 3/4) of the tracks used in the 2010 season were used back in the 1990s (the era I am presently reviewing). Funny, while there are differences between now and then, there are a lot of common challenges. If you think passing was easy back then maybe you too should go back and watch a few races to refresh your memory. The drivers just seemed to be more willing to lay in on the line back then. Maybe orders for the teams have changed. Maybe the teams have ordered the drivers now not to take as many chances with these expensive cars. I know I don't have access to the inner circles of the F1 world. Maybe you are one of the privileged people and you have a hot line setup with Frank Williams?

Last edited by My993C2; 12-04-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2010 | 11:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I'm starting to understand the appeal of being an Alonso fan. The biggest benefit that I can see it that he can lose, crash, cheat, etc. and it's never his fault. It's his teamates fault, the tracks fault, the cars fault, the FIA's fault, the weathers fault, his tires fault etc.

I'll tell you what. I'll list a "reason" for a problem below by letter code. Then next year Alonso fans can simply list the letter code next year for anything that "the doubters" might try to unfairly pin on Fernando.

Here's my list.

a. Tilke's fault
b. Team interupted FA concentration with poorly timed radio transmission
c. Race engineers fault
d. Flawed race strategy
e. Bad Car Setup
f. Bad track
g. Bad weather
h. Car setup for wrong weather
i. Race fell on the wrong day in FA's menstrual cycle
j. Bernies Fault
k. FIA's fault
l. Lewis's fault for selecting him in the Rennlist poll
m. Slippery steering wheel
n. brakes too hot
o. brakes too cool
p. teamates fault
q. radio broke
r. poor track lighting
s. teams fault
t. sponsors fault
u. pit crew fault
v. lack of horsepower
w. poor speed in straights
x. poor speed in corners
y. bad aero package
z. understeer
aa. oversteer
bb. flat spot on tire
cc. team won't make him number one driver
dd. Stewards fault
ee. Aero wash from car in front prevented passing
ff. sun was in FA's eyes
gg. biorythms off
hh. failed to cheat properly
ii. teamate ignored team orders
jj. FA Hungover
kk. Invisible fire

Obviously the list is not all inclusive, but we can simply add any I missed later. I'm guessing that Abu Dhabi was a "f,a,i,l" but only Wayne knows for sure since he tracks her cycle.
Old 12-04-2010 | 07:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PPo

His 2010 prediction has been locked at the top of the forum for some time, in clear public view.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Sir A.Wayne was ..... Wrong.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-wdc-pick.html
Old 12-04-2010 | 08:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
His 2010 prediction has been locked at the top of the forum for some time, in clear public view.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Sir A.Wayne was ..... Wrong.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-wdc-pick.html
What else is new around here. Misuse of power.
Old 12-04-2010 | 10:48 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

The very best thing that could happen to any F1 thread here is to completely ignore any and all comments by A. Whine. Let's just act like all of his comments are written in Arabic and we can't read them. It's obvious that he is either totally irrational or that he is only interested in stirring the pot by ignoring the facts and spinning everything by his own twisted logic. Only he worships at the alter of his own opinion. Being completely ignored is the only way to be rid of this twit. When no one reacts to his childish prattle he will go home. His ego thrives on the attention. Horse **** by any other name is still horse ****.
Old 12-04-2010 | 11:11 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
The very best thing that could happen to any F1 thread here is to completely ignore any and all comments by A. Whine. Let's just act like all of his comments are written in Arabic and we can't read them. It's obvious that he is either totally irrational or that he is only interested in stirring the pot by ignoring the facts and spinning everything by his own twisted logic. Only he worships at the alter of his own opinion. Being completely ignored is the only way to be rid of this twit. When no one reacts to his childish prattle he will go home. His ego thrives on the attention. Horse **** by any other name is still horse ****.
Ahh...No. Let's not do this. That would devide the fun by 2. These threads are only about banter. None of us are getting educated for our eventual F1 debuts.

LET THE GAMES CONTINUE!
Old 12-04-2010 | 11:29 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Well maybe you and A. Whine can have your own thread titled "F1 and the Theater of the Absurd".
Old 12-04-2010 | 11:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
What else is new around here. Misuse of power.
Please elaborate on your statement "misuse of power".

That thread was "stuck" at the top of the forum prior to the start of the 2010 F1 season.
It was put there after Sir A.Wayne made his official and public 2010 WDC pick, so as to avoid any confusion regarding hs pick (as had been the case in previous seasons).

Now, if you believe that another member (and please keep in mind that I am posting in this thread as a member, thus preventing me from moderating any thread I post in) has violated the rules (by posting to a thread that has been in public view at the top of the forum for nearly a year), then please report the post/thread ( I am sure you know how to do this ) or send a PM to the Admin (and i am sure you know who Bob Rouleau is) .....

Otherwise, please allow me to offer you a tissue

Old 12-04-2010 | 06:26 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Oh... I was very aware of A. Wayne's 2010 prediction. That is what makes his comments of predicting F1 results so comical...

A. Wayne, according to your logic you should have picked Vettel to be the 2010 WDC... but you where wrong. How did that happen?

So, A. Wayne, was it that the TRUE champion should be Alonso, but the politics fixed the racing to ensure Vettel was 2010 WDC? Is that what you are claiming?

Quick Reply: 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)