Bruno Senna
0%
Lucas di Grassi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Sakon Yamamoto
0%
Takuma Sato (Master of all that is carbon fiber)
4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Your boy, however, got outdriven by a Russian rookie in a French donkey cart, and then proved his TOTAL lack of class by flipping said Russian rookie off after the race as if he were entitled to a point by from him.
French donkey cart! Good one VR!

Last edited by Astroman; 11-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuxC63sUux8

at around 2:30 Alonso is blaming Petrov for losing, cmon Alonso where were your ***** on the start and how did you let a rookie school you!!! HAHAHAHA
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

I don't really have a dog in this hunt (well for sentimental reasons I was kind of hoping to see Webber take it but was happy that Vettel won too) but will note that of all the drivers currently in F1, Alonso is, by far, the easiest to dislike. He doesn't work well with others, has an ego that far exceeds his abilities and is ethcially and morally...well, let's just say, questionable but bereft but might be the more appropriate word.

While he is indeed talented he is not (IMO) at all superior to the current top four of five and is nowhere near the legends of Formula One (comparing him with Senna or the like is an insult to Senna). Heck IMO Kubica is currently a better driver- and which one would you want on your team?

As his talent diminishes with age I'm sure he'll be one of the first to find that other careers beckon. It's easy to fire an *sshole. It's not as easy to fire a nice guy who can put the team above himself when he needs to.

I really thought he would take it this year- surely he entered the final race with more points than he earned, a very capable car, a team that was 100% dedicated to him and odds that strongly favored him. But in the end the team's strategy and his talent just plain weren't up to it.

I would have loved to see film of the Ferrari pits when he came in. It's characters like him that make F1 the soap opera that it is.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sebastian Vettel got the job done! Congratulations to Red Bull and everyone who supported him, I think all the talk of letting Webber go around helped spur Sebastian on even more. He's been consistantly speedy and driven. What happened to Webber? He drove like someone put valium in his Red Bull, never went after Alonso, even when Big Head Fred went off track trying to get around Petrov. Hard to believe in all those laps, that dominant Red Bull machine could not get around the Alonso/Petrov tête-à-tête, while Vettel just kept on trucking down the road. I'm glad he didn't get WDC-- he didn't fight until the end, Webber looked like he was just marking time until it was all over. His uninspired qualifying was a half second off, it was all downhill then.... I think he's done for. Overall, I think the Red Bull car was the class of the field, and they should have had both championships locked up sooner than this for all the points they have lost over the course of the year.

Ferrari blew it on strategy and played it too conservatively with their tire wear expectations, I think they should have had Alonso mimic the leaders pit stops instead of trying to react to Webber. With Alonso behind the Renault, Petrov ran the best laps he's done all year and there is no reason for him to have made it easy for the Ferrari to go by. Interesting that both guys in the hunt with Vettel for the title also end up behind the Renault's, the only team to go into the Abu Dhabi race with new engines. Petrov may be out of there next year, so he's trying to impress, though he's crashed at so many race weekends (Brazil, Korea, Suzuka, Spa, China, Monaco.... in Canada he hit DelaRosa at the start and spun off, luckily being able to reenter at the back), he seems to be the Russian Sato, going wheel to wheel with him in a pinch could be dicey. He's no rookie like Bruno Senna or some such either, he's beaten Kubica this year. Perhaps he's trying to maintain a good relationship with Renault so that if he winds up at Virgin (who is selling out to the Russians) they may want to ditch that Cosworth engine for some Frog power, nothing wrong with that. So where the hell was Massa? If he is that ineffective, intentionally or for lack of skills, he needs to go.... should have had an off-form Webber in hand, as he had nothing to lose à la the McLaren boys, who made hay while the sun was shining. Massa has acted depressed the majority of this season since he realized he wasn't stacking up to Alonso skills in Ferrari's eyes, and maybe his own eyes as well? Poor form of Alonso to pull alongside, but this forum sets no example on fine manners....

Fernando Alonso: We'll be back next year “The race didn't go as we wanted, at the start we really hoped the McLarens would overtake Vettel, that would clear things a little bit. But this time Button started very well but not Hamilton. The start was not bad. I felt good. Distance wise, we checked now, and it was good. So it was a good start for us. But obviously much better for Button. We needed the fourth position at that point. Obviously there was a safety car, so Rosberg and Petrov made a decision to stop, that also was a little bit unexpected. And then Webber stopped very early as well. Then we found ourselves . . . we had to protect [ourselves from] either from Webber or Rosberg. We decided to cover Webber, to exit the pits in front of him, and that in the end was not the right thing maybe. But it's always very easy to see the strategy after the race. In a way nothing we can do or we can change. Someone did a better job than us because they have more points than at the end of the championship, so we congratulate them and next year we try.”
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Fernando Alonso wins DHL Fastest Lap Trophy
11/15/2010 11:56 am

The 2010 Formula One World Championship™ was decided at the very last Grand Prix of the season with a dominant race of Sebastian Vettel, who is now the sports youngest World Champion ever. The winner of the DHL Fastest Lap Award, however, is Fernando Alonso who drove five fastest laps during the season. Pursuer Lewis Hamilton had no chance to catch up with him, as Alonso also holds the highest number of second-fastest laps.

Since 2007, the Formula 1™ Official Logistics Partner DHL has been the official presenter of the Fastest Lap Award, defining a new standard of speed. Ken Allen, Chief Executive Officer DHL Express, who handed over the award to Alonso said: "The fastest lap in a race is always a challenge. This is the result of speed, precision and teamwork. Winning the DHL Fastest Lap Trophy adds continuity and reliability to this. All these attributes found the basis for DHL's Express business as well."

Former German F1™ pilot and RTL TV expert Christian Danner congratulated Alonso: "Fernando has driven an incredibly fast season in the Ferrari, which in most races wasn't the fastest car. He has shown that, all things considered, he is a very strong and most complete driver in the field."

Within the DHL Fastest Lap Award, Alonso succeeds Sebastian Vettel, the winner of the 2009 DHL Fastest Lap Trophy, and Kimi Räikkönen, who secured the trophy during its first two years. In 2007, the Finnish driver defeated his Ferrari team colleague Felipe Massa with six fastest laps during a neck-and-neck race that was as exciting as this season's. In 2008, he sailed through with 10 best performances. Last year, Sebastian Vettel secured his triumph at the very last second making the last but one lap his fastest in the championship final at Abu Dhabi and catching up with his Red Bull team colleague Mark Webber on the home stretch.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

It looks as though Ferarri needs a world wide pit strategy refresher...... Don't forget that they ran out of gas on the final lap in GT2 category in the 1000 Mile Petit Le Mans, this past October at Road Atlanta. Allowing the Corvettes to cruise past them for the checkered flag......
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
So, the last driver to win a WDC for Ferrari was Kimi (the driver they paid to go away), followed by Massa (who lost out by one point, courtesy of Timo Glock), followed by Alonso (who lost by 9 points, once you give back the 7 points taken from Massa by Luca).

So, Kimi's gone, Massa is likely gone, sure, keep the guy at the bottom of the list .... oh wait, this is just coming in....Alonso is co-owner of the team according to Santander... never mind.
Lewis - From the group of Alonso supporters that you have had constructive conversations with, enough!.

All year has been fun to sling some crap around but their comes a point that the person you are trying to mock you are actually turning into.

I have no problem with you not liking the guy, most great athletes bring out the best or worst in people but that has nothing to do with talent. There have been many times over the years that I have not liked how he has acted and disagreed with things he has done, but that does not change that he makes the sport fun to watch. He made this season for God's sake admit that!!!! He has also paid dearly for his inability to work with Hammy (not that Hammy is a peach to work with) he wasted two years of generally short carrer languishing at Renault after Renault was half way out the door.
The guy is probably the best all-around driver in the field or at least top three, his bloody colleagues voted as much. If you actually believe all of what you have written here I really worry about your views.

I have no interest in participating in a completely one sided childish conversation.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Where is A. Wayne?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Where is A. Wayne?
Last seen at a bar on Miami Beach tossing back Gran Patrón Burdeos with the devil, brokering a deal to steer Adrian Newey to Ferrari
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
PPo
Drifting

I keep logging on to see if A. Wayne as posted a reply... I would really like to see what he has to say...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Lewis - From the group of Alonso supporters that you have had constructive conversations with, enough!.

All year has been fun to sling some crap around but their comes a point that the person you are trying to mock you are actually turning into.

I have no problem with you not liking the guy, most great athletes bring out the best or worst in people but that has nothing to do with talent. There have been many times over the years that I have not liked how he has acted and disagreed with things he has done, but that does not change that he makes the sport fun to watch. He made this season for God's sake admit that!!!! He has also paid dearly for his inability to work with Hammy (not that Hammy is a peach to work with) he wasted two years of generally short carrer languishing at Renault after Renault was half way out the door.
The guy is probably the best all-around driver in the field or at least top three, his bloody colleagues voted as much. If you actually believe all of what you have written here I really worry about your views.

I have no interest in participating in a completely one sided childish conversation.
AG, I don't think the Alonso supporters are Lewis' intended targets. It's ONE (1) Alonso supporter and he won't show his face in here to hear the music. If Alonso had won the WDC yesterday, we ALL would have been bashed by a certain someone -- you know who....

His cowardly act of not showing up speaks volumes. Ironically enough, his hero, Fernando Alonso, didn't show up yesterday either.

If I were to guess, the level of hate toward Alonso is in direct proportion to the Amount he is shoved down our throats by a certain spinster. Yes, a lot don't like him, but AW makes it worse. It's time to gloat just a little. Let US have our moment too.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I keep logging on to see if A. Wayne as posted a reply... I would really like to see what he has to say...
He's an embarassment and why should we give him any more attention than he already craves. He's an I'd like to ask two questions:

1. How does a guy who is a so called 2xWDC with a third on the line not get by a rookie in a Renault?

2. How does he explain the gestures Alonso displayed to Petrov after the conclussion of the race?

I just want my pound of flesh and then it's into the basement with me until winter testing.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You can, because the pesssimists will only focus on negativity, and will not acknowledge brilliance. It's part of their build up. They can't help it.
Brilliance...in failing to pressure a rookie to make a mistake and pass a car on track. As his race engineer would have said "massive brilliance"

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It's nice to see them happy for a change.
Happy doesn't even begin to describe it.

If Alonso would have won, I think we might lost a few individuals for good.
Let them gloat.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me, Bell Boy....I'm still waiting for my packed bags to be brought up from curbside (having cancelled my taxi ride to the airport) and brought back up to my room.

Alonso did NOT win. So, I guess I am allowed to stay.
What was supposed to happy if Alonso didn't win? I forget....
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, we acknowledge brilliance.

Vettel's performance was brilliant. So was Hamilton's, Button's, Kubica's, and Petrov's.

Your boy, however, got outdriven by a Russian rookie in a French donkey cart, and then proved his TOTAL lack of class by flipping said Russian rookie off after the race as if he were entitled to a point by from him.

Alonso is 100% pure ****stain. This has been evident since his days at McLaren, when he was outdriven by another rookie (his teammate) in an identical car, and had world-class tantrums. Add multiiple other scandals there & at Renault of which he was at the very epicenter.

Now his reputation is absolute. He wilted when it mattered most--the most crucial race of the year for him. And then flipped off the guy who outdrove him, on worldwide TV. Brilliant!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Originally Posted by M758
The Ferrari is better than the Renault and has been all year.
Fred is better than Petrov. One guy is a 2 time WDC looking for his 3rd Title. The other is rookie still getting his feet wet. No disrespect to Petrov, but anyone hoping to win a WDC needs to pass him.

Hammy vs Kubica... Similar, but Hammy did have two differences. 1) Kubica is veteran driver who is quite skilled. He not any easy pass. 2) Kubica had to stop so Hammy would pass at somepoint. So risk vs reward is different.

Even so Hammy failed to pass and had to wait for the pit stop. He made a couple mistakes and that cost him. Classic Hamilton. Good.. very good in fact, but still makes mistakes and sometimes they are costly.

Fred just did not get the job done on track. How would you expect be worthly of WDC if you cannot pass a rookie in lesser car on older tires when you have plenty laps to try in a "Must pass" situation.
To use the exact quote from Sir A.Wayne (with permission from his estate): back on page 8 of this epic thread

Forget about the amigos, they are so far up the bunghole in racing debt right now.. they wont get your logic .....

just substitute Alonso supporters with amigos and you have it in a nutshell.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
Lewis,

My early Christmas gift to you. Enjoy, I know how much you love Luca...
Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)