Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads with 51 hours on track!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Brake pads with 51 hours on track!!!!!!

Take a look at my thread here

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-on-track.html

I couldn't believe how LONG these pads last....fairly kind on rotors too....right at 50% life left on the rotors that weren't new when I built this race car....

raybestos ST43 pads, custom made....I just can't say enough good things about them....about the only downside is thier cold braking is just about awful...but one or two panic stops at walking speeds will wake them up
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

The Raybestos pads are awesome. No one believes me when I tell them how good they are.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The Raybestos pads are awesome. No one believes me when I tell them how good they are.
funny you say that....when the race shop that built the car recommended them I was very hesitant....I thought you had to run Pagid or Hawk...anything else was near worthless.....this experience has taught me a lot about brakes...i will run these Raybestos pads on just about every race car from now on!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

but...do they actually have good stopping power when warm?

How would one go about ordering a set. My Heavy-*** M3 eats pads like nobody's business. I need to add cooling to the car but it's a tough balance when you start adding ducts and what not under a full street car.

I'm going through HT-10's way too quickly lately. Thought PFC 06 was going to be the alternative but I'm always open to other possibilities.

Andy
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Even notice how no one is reply to this thread. I don't get it - people won't believe they are fantastic pads. Talk to the Raybestos tech guys and you'll find out a ton of top race teams in nascar, alms, etc run their pads.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
but...do they actually have good stopping power when warm?

How would one go about ordering a set. My Heavy-*** M3 eats pads like nobody's business. I need to add cooling to the car but it's a tough balance when you start adding ducts and what not under a full street car.

I'm going through HT-10's way too quickly lately. Thought PFC 06 was going to be the alternative but I'm always open to other possibilities.

Andy
Give Porterfield a call. They sell just about every brand of brakes and are VERY smart in pad choices.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Even notice how no one is reply to this thread. I don't get it - people won't believe they are fantastic pads. Talk to the Raybestos tech guys and you'll find out a ton of top race teams in nascar, alms, etc run their pads.
Well I'll reply but with a different opinion. I ran the raybestos on Franky I (968 powered 924S) with Wilwood brakes and frankly they sucked. I was lucky to get 2 race weekends out of the front set. Switched to Hawks and I was getting 4+ weekends.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of IT racers in SCCA swear by the Raybestos pads. I'd give them a try if I had a car they worked on in a second.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Guys, im surprised you guys dont get this one! Look, if you only have 190rwhp on a 3000lb car, you will never (or barely) even USE your brakes. Brian runs 2:11s thunderhill, Ive run near 2:06 without even touching the brake pedal, and 1:45 at Laguna with no brakes as well. Ive driven brians car in a race for hours! you rarely push on the brake pedal going "Flat out". . so, 51 track hours wouldnt surprise me one bit. as soon as he gets another 100hp, those pads will last 4-5 weekends, max as will ANY other really good pad. nothing against raybestos. they are on par with porterfield, pagid blacks and HT10s in my opinion. BUT, i have to say, pagid blacks are excellent on the street too, and have plenty of stopping power when cold, and resist fade when the rotors are glowing.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

brian, (et al) before you make a decision on pads for every race car you will ever run. run a car that punishes the pads at 130mph going into turn 1 at T-hill or turn 2 at laguna and then make your decision. everything was fine for me using pagid oranges and running 1:39 and 2:01s at Laguna and thunderhill, and then the pads became plain dangerous running 1:37s and 1:59s at the same two tracks. (just a lot of fade at the very end of the stopping zones) as soon as I stepped up to a real racing pad, the problem was gone. they stop better, and the life is about the same. (about 3-4 weekends max). Driving your car, Im surprised you even wore out the brakes. I think there are two spots at thunderhll where you really need to slow your car down for a turn. turn 10 and 13, the rest, if even a quick tap, the turn slows you down enough because your entry speeds are just not fast enough and are near the same as the exit speeds the car is capable of. Go ask the miatas how long their brakes last!
I hear those guys dump the rotors to save weight and just use eachother for slowing down.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi guys.

the Raybestos pads are amazing. i drive one of the Fortune Auto Mitsu EVOs at various Redline Time Attacks and NASA race weekends. we run the ST43 pads on both cars, but with special attention to the #49 Modified Class EVO -- those are the only pads that can survive that car. its 620 whp and weighs about 3200 lbs with driver. still running the stock dia 13" rotors (DBA floaters now though) with the stock Brembo calipers. we've used just about every pad imaginable on it, including the HT10s and Pagid Yellows. the ST43s are the only pads that'll last more than 2 days, and the only pad that can really resist fading. they are AWESOME, in my experience.

i also run them on my NASA PTE Probe (2750 lbs 164 whp) (similar classing to SCCA ITA); they really aren't needed on the Probe (i have a custom BBK on the front that i design and manufacture - 12.2" dia rotors and Mazda Millenia dual piston calipers), but i run them anyway because they are so durable and consistent; a set of pads on that car go about 10 race weekends.

i run them on my Turbo Honda (2300 lbs 303 whp) because they are a MUST (11.3" rotors and Acura Legend dual piston calipers). every other pad i've tried on this car fries; i need to run 15" wheels, for various reasons, and those 11" rotors are the max i can fit. this car has a top end speed of 150+ on most every track i take it to, and it is murder on brakepads. the ST43s are the only pad i can have any confidence in on it.

i know most PCA guys stick with Pagid or PFC or Hawk; that's great! but i will say that these Raybestos pads are no joke.

Livermore Performance will make any pad shape you desire; just tell them the number, and they will laser cut the plates and bond them for you and ship them fairly quickly.....

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Link to the raybestos race compounds? With my limited search skills I can only find street pads. Price? Coef. of friction and max temps?

Originally Posted by mark kibort
nothing against raybestos. they are on par with porterfield, pagid blacks and HT10s in my opinion.
Porterfield have some new compounds available? The old R-4 compound is an entry level to mediocre DE pad at best.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

MK
I did manage a 2:09.8 over the top at Thunderhill today in the heat using the new brake pads....the only change I made to the car to gain 1 second + over my previous best lap.... didn't you run a 2:10.?? in your old 200whp 5 speed?? with bigger tires..... :>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQag-koseQ

2:09.8 over the top in a car with 245/45-16 R comps, that made 203whp-241 torque later that day with a racing weight of about 3050 lbs including the automatic one legger....
Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Guys, im surprised you guys dont get this one! Look, if you only have 190rwhp on a 3000lb car, you will never (or barely) even USE your brakes. Brian runs 2:11s thunderhill, Ive run near 2:06 without even touching the brake pedal, and 1:45 at Laguna with no brakes as well. Ive driven brians car in a race for hours! you rarely push on the brake pedal going "Flat out". . so, 51 track hours wouldnt surprise me one bit. as soon as he gets another 100hp, those pads will last 4-5 weekends, max as will ANY other really good pad. nothing against raybestos. they are on par with porterfield, pagid blacks and HT10s in my opinion. BUT, i have to say, pagid blacks are excellent on the street too, and have plenty of stopping power when cold, and resist fade when the rotors are glowing.
Ok, so what do you have to say about a 914-4 running stock brakes doing sub 2:15 at Watkins Glen on stock brakes? That's doing over 140 into the bus stop. Raybestos were the only pads that would last more than 2 sessions at WGI.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Link to the raybestos race compounds? With my limited search skills I can only find street pads. Price? Coef. of friction and max temps?

Porterfield have some new compounds available? The old R-4 compound is an entry level to mediocre DE pad at best.
Give Porterfield a call. They sell just about every brand of brakes and are VERY smart in pad choices.
See above.

Quick Reply: Brake pads with 51 hours on track!!!!!!