Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
NH ends up with rubber all over - you can't completely miss it, even staying on line. The place makes marbles like no where else I've been.
Ah, thanks Matt. Been years since I drove there.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

NH ends up with rubber all over - you can't completely miss it, even staying on line. The place makes marbles like no where else I've been.
Lightning at NJ did it when we 1st raced there, It literally ate tires and spit them out. I went through 3 sets of used R6's before the race and I think it was Charlie Boyer that told me it dissolved two sets of his slicks! It must be the pavement design and shape/hardness of the stone.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Techno - you caught on to the new IB marketing plan! You should have been here in the days of Ghetto Racer and Colorchange. I kinda of miss being called a low character something or other - along with about 50 others. A few added it to their sigs as a badge of honor
LCFDC (Low Character, Fast Drivers Club). I think that I was appointed President by CC or something like that.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Interesting... While two DE's on a set of Bridgestone RE01R's is hardly a reasonable sample set, I have only somewhat accelerated wear on them at 6/32nds where stock is 8/32nds. The only mileage on them is the aforementioned DE's, one AutoX and the highway miles to and from the events. I run a pretty aggressive alignment for a street car which typically eats the inside edge alive too (the outside edge is scrubbed pretty well from the track/AutoX usage).
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Interesting... While two DE's on a set of Bridgestone RE01R's is hardly a reasonable sample set, I have only somewhat accelerated wear on them at 6/32nds where stock is 8/32nds. The only mileage on them is the aforementioned DE's, one AutoX and the highway miles to and from the events. I run a pretty aggressive alignment for a street car which typically eats the inside edge alive too (the outside edge is scrubbed pretty well from the track/AutoX usage).
Wait until you start going faster
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Utkinpol...........

A friend of mine, JackLee, just send me this video of when I first started in the Green run group and also asking questions on Rennlist......

If I survived here, anyone can........
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6882193/
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Hey Utkinpol...........

A friend of mine, JackLee, just send me this video of when I first started in the Green run group and also asking questions on Rennlist......

Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Lightning at NJ did it when we 1st raced there, It literally ate tires and spit them out. I went through 3 sets of used R6's before the race and I think it was Charlie Boyer that told me it dissolved two sets of his slicks! It must be the pavement design and shape/hardness of the stone.
And the camber of the track.. still eating away even to today
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Utkinpol...........

i am leaving from here.
last year i would be cocky, now as i burned down 5 sets of r-comps, believe me, i know my limits. all i need now is seat time and no forums.
hopefully i will get a chance to work on it this season, if not, next season will come...

no hard feelings.

btw, i have video too, i thought it will bring some smiles on your faces - enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNGG...layer_embedded
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
+1.

Paolo - Well done!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Utkinpol...........

Paolo, you are such a disappointment. You came to RL brash and asking the most off the wall kinds of questions, all under the guise that you wanted to learn. And you kept asking until you learned from them. And you got talented instructors to coach you and you actually listened to them unitl now you are quite fast and pretty much one of the group. How boring!

At least ColorChange & Ghetto Racer stayed exactly the same, even though we bombarded them with the best knowledge and information we had until they just gave up on us.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The only time I've ever worried about pickup was when flipping tires on the rims where it would have affected rebalancing. I threw them on the street car, a little spin in the parking lot and it's all clean. You pick up all kinds of crap in the pit in/pits but nothing to worry about IMHO...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Paolo, you are such a disappointment. You came to RL brash and asking the most off the wall kinds of questions, all under the guise that you wanted to learn. And you kept asking until you learned from them. And you got talented instructors to coach you and you actually listened to them unitl now you are quite fast and pretty much one of the group. How boring!

At least ColorChange & Ghetto Racer stayed exactly the same, even though we bombarded them with the best knowledge and information we had until they just gave up on us.
Sorry to disappoint you Sir...........
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

You may know your limits right now, but honestly, you have no idea where your limits could end up being. Having done both autocross and track driving, and having gone from a raw green student to racing, I can tell you from first hand experience, that what seems like really tearing it up when you start becomes laughingly slow later on. Experienced drivers do warm-up laps that are impossible for a normal rookie driver to do.

Racing/track driving is an advanced skill that takes a while to learn. It rarely comes naturally, and even the naturals need years to learn. Stay humble, listen to advice, and there's just a ton you can learn. On the other hand, if you spend your time and effort on equipment, you may be able to go fast, but you won't BE fast. ...or safe.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done reading this thread and had to bump it along. Sorry

This thread is awesome: GR references, Top Gun dialog...and seeing the Quickxotica22 Youtube video come to life.

I haven't been to a DE for a couple of years but this makes it tempting!

Quick Reply: greenhorn`s silly post-event questions :)