Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on speed differential. I have no issue with cups and I love radicals because I know they can pass my slow @ss anywhere on the track. Its my fellow backmarkers I fear. That being said it is club racing and both ladies and gents should keep that in mind. Fierce competition for sure but low percentage stuff not so good.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Just wait until Spec Boxster gets truly big and people are all running similar times."

Hey Now, don't include the Spec Boxster in your problems!
We would never dream of pushing the issue in a turn for position.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
JClark
Instructor

There's a huge difference between aggressive and stupid. 13/13 rules do nothing to keep the latter off the track.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Several racers have said that things have gotten out of control and that Club Racing, at least with Cup cars is no longer conforming to the original spirit of Club Racing. Whether this is a result of guys with hefty budgets and low seat time or simply the donning of red visors, I can't say.
I think it is also typical of the fastest classes. Guys with big pocketbooks who want speed, but don't know how to handle it. Same goes for guys that drive Atlantics or fast sports racers. Reckless with no sense of responsibility. I wouldn't want some of those guys driving a Miata, let alone a high speed missile.

________
Jason
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The faster you go the bigger the accident. It happens in SM, 944 and with the CupCars is the same but just faster and not having ABS in the 997s I think makes it worst, b/c as soon as someone locks up or puts one wheel off the pavement stopping that car is history.

All the (bad) action happens in the middle or back of the pack. I rarely have seen an accident by the front runners (I think applies to most classes). I was unlucky with the class breakup at Mosport so being the bottom of the food chain in my H/I Prep car I was in the middle of the action. Very happy with having my car in one piece. A short clip of some of the "action", including my own "software" failure.

http://www.vimeo.com/13838295

Mosport has crazy fast corners (100mph+ apex). In some corners when you are running at the limit is almost impossible to avoid the contact if the car in front spins.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a relatively new racer, about 7 so far with PCA and there are multiple drivers who move from DE to Club Racing without extensive seat time. I raced motorcycles for well over 20 years before moving to cars and you can see the the drivers who have true "Race Sense" and understand when it's time to push a little harder. Just my 2 cents.....
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Barfly
I think it is also typical of the fastest classes. Guys with big pocketbooks who want speed, but don't know how to handle it. Same goes for guys that drive Atlantics or fast sports racers. Reckless with no sense of responsibility. I wouldn't want some of those guys driving a Miata, let alone a high speed missile.

________
Jason
This may be chauvinist but do pocketbooks belong anywhere near the racing surface?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
I wonder if this was the case at the recent PCA NNJR/Thunderbolt race. I believe they had all the classes out at one time. Can't have bigger speed differentials. Was there a lot of carnage?

Just asking. Wasn't there.
It was pretty good, but I do have video of a pass made on me going onto the front straight by a much much faster car that was really uncalled for given the situation. Same dude hit a 993 during the same race.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
All the (bad) action happens in the middle or back of the pack. I rarely have seen an accident by the front runners (I think applies to most classes).

Yup. Hence my comment about some of these guys thinking there is prize money up to & beyond place #30.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

stupid aggression doesn't know class or grid place. in the mid to back of the grid you've got guys who just aren't skilled enough and crash. in the front, you've got guys who use the 13 rule to stick their nose in all over the place where they shouldn't and try to force the guy with the right to the line to give or close the door without the right to because they think the guy who has the right to be there will give. the 13 is a weapon for the aggressive driver. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. there are many of us who had to write a sizable check because some other guy uses the 13 as a weapon and it didn't work out.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

"Ladder system".

Learning the fine art of racing in a 300+hp German slot car valued @~6 figures is fv<king insane. Maybe your buddies are impressed. Maybe you'll get boinked tonite. Maybe you'll go home with your car in a baggie.

If I were king, noobs would spend a season in 100hp crapwagons...maybe two...maybe more (they just might like it). Only when they displayed both good skills and GOOD JUDGEMENT would they be allowed to move up into bigger / faster / $$$ racing. That's what happens in most of the world, and those parts of the world don't exhibit the dysfunction that we see with those who just write a check and go racing in whatever will impress their buddies and get their crank yanked by Mrs. Racer-to-be.

Oh my. Did I just say that ? A thousand pardons......
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Learning the fine art of racing in a 300+hp German slot car valued @~6 figures is fv<king insane.
Since when did racing and sanity go together?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought there was way more carnage than normal - even in the slow group. There was a lot of aggression in the 944 SP groups, too.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Having $$$$$ does not mean a person has good judgment or skill. I know because I drive Flat Out ...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
DanR
Drifting

are the results posted anywhere?

Quick Reply: Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?