Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK......I ask myself a question......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:00 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Boxster S should not be in F, should be classed where the similar year Cayman S is classed.
Old 06-04-2010 | 01:01 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Doc, you're onto a great idea...although I don't know Fred.

I think it's always a good idea to put a fast guy in your car as a guage of where you are. I do a lot of longer (12 hour +) races and am always amazed when I think I'm wringing everything that can be had out of the car and a specific co-driver goes a second quicker...
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:35 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Looked at the enduro results of the purple enduro and noticed that two Boxster S in the F group, although didn't make it to the finish line, ripped laps of 2:09.858 and 2:10.251

Now those lap times pretty much beat every 911 in the F, G, H, I, J, GTC1.........

So why is it that the Boxster S competing in F with much more antiquated 911s when they are beating the times of all the other classes 911s? (G,H,I,J,GTC1)

Are they classified incorrectly in the F class?

Now, of course the only feasable reason that comes to mind is that all the 911 racers in F,G,H,I,J,GTC1 suck, and the Boxster S racers are semi-pro.

I just ask myself questions......
Let's be clear that both of those times were set by the same driver. And... the normal drivers of those cars weren't driving much better times than you were driving.

Here's what I've noticed after a few years of racing: the boxster S isn't faster than other F class podium winners in a straight line. I.e., I'm not coming through a corner and beating someone on horsepower. Maybe it's better in the corners, but a lot of that has to do with driver ability and car setup.

This has been answered in other threads, but yes there is a huge difference in driver skill in the PCA ranks, and that translates to a difference in lap time. I would be hard pressed to argue that a car should be reclassed simply because one awesome driver turns a good time in that car.
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:36 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
Boxster S should not be in F, should be classed where the similar year Cayman S is classed.
Ok, what do you do for the 2001-2004 Boxster S's? The Cayman S's didn't exist back then.
Old 06-04-2010 | 04:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
++++++1 Plenty F class Boxsters can't brake 2:15's, Poetl is doing 2:11 in 25 year old "economy " P car with the motor in the wrong end. Biggest variable remains between the steering wheel and the seat
Wonder what he could do with a 'real' car lol
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:45 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
You really want your car to end up at Julio's do you?
I am sure he would appreciate the business......
But honestly, please really consider my offer....
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:51 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Let's be clear that both of those times were set by the same driver. And... the normal drivers of those cars weren't driving much better times than you were driving.

Here's what I've noticed after a few years of racing: the boxster S isn't faster than other F class podium winners in a straight line. I.e., I'm not coming through a corner and beating someone on horsepower. Maybe it's better in the corners, but a lot of that has to do with driver ability and car setup.

This has been answered in other threads, but yes there is a huge difference in driver skill in the PCA ranks, and that translates to a difference in lap time. I would be hard pressed to argue that a car should be reclassed simply because one awesome driver turns a good time in that car.
Brian, Doug Crossman is a hell of a driver, as Cory Jump in 911s in F, they are 3 sec. slower than the fastest Boxster S, I just don't think is all driver's skill that is making the huge difference in times in the boxster......

But that is just my opinion......
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:42 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Paolo,

You are learning what alot of us of who have been doing this for quite some time already know. Fast drivers make up most of the difference, but there is also an inherent problem with the classifying cars in the proper class. And classification problems are never going to go away. At best, it will always be the dog chasing its tail.

If this is going to be a continual problem for you, then get a cup car or a spec boxster and be done with it. Then, and only then, will you be able to race with comparable cars.

Do you really think it was by chance that Boyer, Jenks, and Mazzola went to a spec classification.
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:45 AM
FredC
Drifting

You mean is it by chance that these guys went from one spec class to another?

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Paolo,

You are learning what alot of us of who have been doing this for quite some time already know. Fast drivers make up most of the difference, but there is also an inherent problem with the classifying cars in the proper class. And classification problems are never going to go away. At best, it will always be the dog chasing its tail.

If this is going to be a continual problem for you, then get a cup car or a spec boxster and be done with it. Then, and only then, will you be able to race with comparable cars.

Do you really think it was by chance that Boyer, Jenks, and Mazzola went to a spec classification.
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:54 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Given the size of the "purses" , I am most interested in the fun of finding good competitive racing with any car in the run group, regardless of class. I'd rather beat Fred than all the GT5 cars in town!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:08 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Given the size of the "purses" , I am most interested in the fun of finding good competitive racing with any car in the run group, regardless of class. I'd rather beat Fred than all the GT5 cars in town!!!!!!!!!
We did have some good fights did we!
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:30 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by FredC
We did have some good fights did we!
And a good one coming up at Thunderbolt. Many cars wo run our pace, should be a ball
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:36 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Brian, Doug Crossman is a hell of a driver, as Cory Jump in 911s in F, they are 3 sec. slower than the fastest Boxster S, I just don't think is all driver's skill that is making the huge difference in times in the boxster......

But that is just my opinion......
I have massive respect for both Doug and Cory, and I know that they are better drivers than I am. Do I think they are better than Rick? No, I don't. I don't know how much time difference I'd expect between the two, but consider that in the SPBOX class, the time difference between Charlie Boyer and Andy Jenks (both of whom are top drivers) was several seconds. So, yes, driver skill could account for that much time.

Also, consider this - Rick has put tremendous amounts of time into developing the boxsters in F class (and to a limited extent, E class). Nearly (if not all) of the boxsters in F class in the northeast have originated from his shop. He has accompanied several customers to many test and tune days over the past few years and has gotten the car fine tuned to a point where even relatively new drivers can hop in and drive the car near the limit. You are quite literally seeing the effects of hundreds of hours of setup and testing time making its effect on the race track.

The setup time that he is spending really can't be overstated. You may be taking lessons from pros, but I'm guessing that you can't institute major setup changes at the track - so you have to do them between events and try to compare notes to see if the change helped or not. By contrast, Rick is going with his crew to the track with customers, and he is using data to diagnose changes, and those changes are made at the track. He can then use data and driver feedback to see immediately if those changes made a difference. He may get done in a single day what takes you a whole season (or more) of testing to accomplish. He can then take that proven recipe and apply it for all of his customers.

So, what you are seeing is a combination of a top driver (i.e., a driver who would hold his own in a pro race) and an extremely well setup car. That's why the class record has fell so much.
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:37 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Paolo,

Well said John......

Spec Classes, definetly something for me to seriously consider, so at least then I won't have any excuses for how much I suck .....
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:41 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Well said John......

Spec Classes, definetly something for me to seriously consider, so at least then I won't have any excuses for how much I suck .....

Obviously you have much to learn about "spec" racing.

Quick Reply: OK......I ask myself a question......