NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

why yes I do as a matter of fact
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there was a compliance of HP/wt put into effect the difference between the top 5 cars in each class would tenths. Since the rules for 2011 are being submitted it would be the time for racers to submit a consistent request for dyno results per car and at the track for top 5. The dyno run would also confirm gear ratios which should be stock. Each racer should have a data sheet on the car. The minutia of crawling under a car for bump steer kits and altered suspension would be for less important than a car with an extra 50hp.

I have run against top racers in top cars in NASA and it makes for exciting racing. Jeff Curtis (NASA chief inst) has run PCA a bunch of races and always been a front runner. Eric Wong has multiple track records in his Bimmer and is fast in any car he runs. A lot of the GTS races have 3 or 4 cars within a second at the finish.

I am really surprised PCA would not implement this. It is a perfect fit for GT class where the best way to win right now is spend 20k on a motor. The HP/liter rule is insanely expensive. You may have to separate air-cooled from the modern aero cars, but otherwise the bracketing would be so much easier.

Paolo based on your skill level and having been in your car I guarantee you would be close to the front especially with P1-P2-P3 battling in each corner.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Exactly. From what I saw this past weekend at the Glen, I have a really hard time believing that Paolo is only getting 220 HP from his engine. His video of "earned" race passes shows a few passes on Boxsters that should be nearly impossible if there was really the discrepancy of power that he is representing.
You are correct, my car only makes 210 HP, and being 50 lbs overweight at the finish from my minimum weight I guess those Boxster S I passed must have had even worst drivers than me......
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

PCA needs to have a dyno at each race. It'll answer a lot of questions.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993

Paolo based on your skill level and having been in your car I guarantee you would be close to the front especially with P1-P2-P3 battling in each corner.
Thanks Bob, from your mouth to God's ears.........
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
why yes I do as a matter of fact
And I have a TON of spares, they even roll!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
PCA needs to have a dyno at each race. It'll answer a lot of questions.
WARNING:

Paolo, I like you and I like the passion that you have for the sport, but a lot of this thread has actually been making me angry.

Here's what is angering me: you drive essentially the same car as Louis Bedstadt, and he was turning laps about 3-4 seconds faster than you. The previous owner of your car was turning laps 4-5 seconds faster than you and the track has been made faster (due to repaving) since he last drove the car. Until you can at least demonstrate that you can run at those speeds, then I think you really should stop worrying about what other cars are in your class.

Now, if Lou, Doug Crossman, or Cory Jump were posting about how unfair they thought it was that the Boxster S is in F class, then I'd give this a lot more consideration.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best, fastest drivers on here keep pointing out the importance of setup, development, and driving, yet the HP whining continues. Guys, the first 4 or 5 cars all out powered Karl on the enduro start, he out drove all of us into turn one, and drove off into the sunset with LESS power!!!!!!!! HP is great, helpful, and fun, but setup and driving trump it most times. Anyone raced Ernie from Mantis when he drove his spec 1 car? What a lesson in setup and driving with like 57 HP!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian P
WARNING:

Paolo, I like you and I like the passion that you have for the sport, but a lot of this thread has actually been making me angry.

Here's what is angering me: you drive essentially the same car as Louis Bedstadt, and he was turning laps about 3-4 seconds faster than you. The previous owner of your car was turning laps 4-5 seconds faster than you and the track has been made faster (due to repaving) since he last drove the car. Until you can at least demonstrate that you can run at those speeds, then I think you really should stop worrying about what other cars are in your class.

Now, if Lou, Doug Crossman, or Cory Jump were posting about how unfair they thought it was that the Boxster S is in F class, then I'd give this a lot more consideration.
Don't think anyone is hearing you Brian, must just be HP
Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 AM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

What a coincidence, so is mine.

e
Originally Posted by DanR
mine is going up this weekend
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Kevin, not to start yet another slugfest, but why do you drive in a class with no competitors? I always wondered why guys run in Stock B, Stock C, and other classes where there are no other similar cars so I figured I would ask. It is NOT meant in any sort of derogatory way, just curious as I want as many cars in my class as possible.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsztanko
What a coincidence, so is mine.

e
Oh boy, here we go!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian you be 100% correct about the ability of Paolo's car, but without a gauge on performance it is a pissing match. BTW, I stated from the start of this thread that the participants are simply following the current system and your driving the car you want to compete with in the class your were put in.

Kevin, I think Paolo's question is reasonable and would be answered by using a system adhered to by numerous race organizations and all the pro run events. Your running a GT car amongst stock class cars so I am sure your typically way out front and not battling to much with them. When your way outpowered in GT I am sure it is not as fun to compete even if your not an overall threat to win.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all these cars going up for sale you would think it's a buyers market.

Guess I have alot to learn about racing.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Kevin, not to start yet another slugfest, but why do you drive in a class with no competitors? I always wondered why guys run in Stock B, Stock C, and other classes where there are no other similar cars so I figured I would ask. It is NOT meant in any sort of derogatory way, just curious as I want as many cars in my class as possible.
Fair question Gary, it is nor really by plan or choice. The fender flairs I put on, because I liked the look,long before ever dreaming of club racing, ban me from any production class. Much to bad, but would need new 1/4 panels and fenders to run in production.

BOB... I am out powered/wt. by nearly all the production cars I race with. The only thing GT bout my car is the bodywork. It is a stock chipped 3.6 with exhaust that has to weigh 3400# dry to make class. Basically a way overweight g production. I was dyno ed this winter at 256, have never failed a weight test at a race, and have most of my great races with E,F, and G cars. In the sprints at the Clash I ran as a GT4 because my GT5 run group stopped at D production and I wanted more competition. I was 500 lbs. heavy and way down on power in that group, qualified and finished mid field and had a ball, though I was left standing still on the straights

Quick Reply: OK......I ask myself a question......