Lambo Trofeo Driver, on fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It only takes one upper belt to break to allow your entire upper body to come "out".
Good point.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stills suggest he lost the shoulder belt(s) but the rest of the harness remained intact.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only takes one upper belt to break to allow your entire upper body to come "out".
He would have been better off "coming out" of the entire car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbaker
The stills suggest he lost the shoulder belt(s) but the rest of the harness remained intact.
Yup, the question is whether he came out of the belts or whether the belts broke.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
http://jonsibal.com/blog/2010/05/fie...-super-trofeo/

Sequenced pictures of crash as it happened.

Seat and belts appear to have sheared right off. That was a HARD hit.
Good G*d - after looking at the stills (way more scary than the video) I'm surprised I still want to go on the track.
When you think about the performance of the cars that can be bought by anyone with the funding, it really gives you pause.
Ugh - I hope the driver recovers from this horrible crash.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

No fuel cell + no fire suit is a very scary situation and it's made me re-think my DE "fuel strategy." I typically tank up (full) in the morning so that I do not need to worry about refueling (and fuel at the track is so friggin' expensive). But why carry an extra 15 gallons of fuel around? I'll pay the extra pennies and fuel up during the DE day. And maybe pick up a nomex bunny suit.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

the way a car falls apart is critical for its ability to absorb energy. not much absorption, when if just falls apart with so many weak pieces and attachements.

The car falling apart is fine by me...absorbs a lot of energy. The shoulder belts coming loose and the fire are the things that concern me. Those aren't necessarily Lambo specific problems, but rather problems with the way this car was built and the parts that were used.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is really tough to watch. There's news of his condition here: http://brnonow.com/2010/05/giorgio-bartocci/

"Giorgio Bartocci has a broken leg, broken ribs and 2nd degree burns to 40% of his body but is now off a respirator."
Updated at 5 p.m., May 25

Mr Bartocci was transported to Italy today in stabilized condition. His family appreciated the medical care he received in Brno.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

F1 has crashes that bad - and usually not a lick of fire not caused by stuff like hot exhaust pipes. Not in recent memory has there been a real fuel fire. How are they different? More cut-off valves? Or?

Why were the extinguishers so in-effective against the fuel flame? Is it not a certain chemical?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This really speaks to the need for first class crew at the track. While it looks like they were equipped well enough, it does not appear that they were very efficient. I am thankful that the one "big one" that I have had was at the Glen. Those folks, from the flaggers to fire to EMS, are top notch! Some of the other tracks, er not so much.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Why dont they bring that big jet track sweeper to the fire and point it at the driver area. Then, the driver can get out, with help,and the fire is pointing away from the driver. Maybe they need a few hand held "jet pack" blowers where some of the safety team points air at the driver and the othes use the extinquishers. There is a new track safety invention for you !
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, lets add oxidiser to a fire. I get your idea but my guess is it would be full of problems. If the added air did not have a way to freely to exit it would go past the driver, fuel the fire further and come back out around the air that is being blown in. If the driver had fuel on him this would light him up like a blowtorch.

I have an idea, lets make pressurised tanks of cemicals or gasses that supress fire rather than add O2. We then train some guys to use them properly and pay them to hang around on the sides of the track at important points. When a fire starts they run up as fast as they can and supress the fire by using good equpment, training and procedure.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Why dont they bring that big jet track sweeper to the fire and point it at the driver area. Then, the driver can get out, with help,and the fire is pointing away from the driver. Maybe they need a few hand held "jet pack" blowers where some of the safety team points air at the driver and the othes use the extinquishers. There is a new track safety invention for you !
Or a giant frying pan lid that you put on top of the vehicle (crane, helicopter, whatever)! Then lift the lid, and rush in before the driver suffocates.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I was at DE event where there was a major off; nearest flagger runs toward the crash with the extinguisher bottle AND HAS A HEART ATTACK from the exertion.
Luckily there was no fire (and as it turned out he wasn't really having a heart attack, but he thought he was, which is all that mattered to him), so there was a longer delay to reach the driver than was planned.
It was a really good risk management lesson, and a reminder that 'what can go wrong will go wrong' is worth considering.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

f*****g horrendous scene!

Quick Reply: Lambo Trofeo Driver, on fire