Sponsored by:

Lambo Trofeo Driver, on fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Or a giant frying pan lid that you put on top of the vehicle (crane, helicopter, whatever)! Then lift the lid, and rush in before the driver suffocates.
Or just have one of these hovering on stand-by the entire race.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Why dont they bring that big jet track sweeper to the fire and point it at the driver area. Then, the driver can get out, with help,and the fire is pointing away from the driver. Maybe they need a few hand held "jet pack" blowers where some of the safety team points air at the driver and the othes use the extinquishers. There is a new track safety invention for you !
I had a similar thought the other day, so I invented a nifty tool for putting out the fire in your fireplace.

Works like a charm. Wait...nevermind.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

A terrible tragedy but I think (and hope) he will survive very well. Second degree burns of 40% are bad but certainly survivable and will, for the most part, heal. My brother suffered an accident that gave him 50% third degree burns. Skin doesn't really heal at all when it's third degree and he had numerous skin transplants over the course of two years. He made it thank God being the loveable bastard that he is.

Sure makes me think about getting a suit though. I've been too cheap to do it and I only do DEs but still.....if this were to happen at Summit Point I'm not sure the response would have been as good as what we saw here.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

"2nd degree burns to 40% of his body"

Wow. That's all? Despite the tragedy, he deserves an entry into the "luckiest man alive" award IMO. To escape with nothing more than a 2nd degree burn is near unbelievable.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow i cant believe the driver lived, his arm was hanging out, body being tossed, incased in fire. dam the man upstairs was riding shot gun with him.

What gets me is like many mentioned, was this car put together with elmers glue? Fire bottles flying down the track, seatbelts are breaking. Are these factory lambo race cars, if so may be they should stick to their street cars.

The safety team, they should fire everyone of them. I cant believe guys are not jumping over the wall that have safety gear on and people in short sleeves are out there helping. I am sure hope a couple of them caught some beatings for not helping their team member (sorry i am from NY).
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Well whatever suit he was wearing is the one to buy. He was in there a LONG time- I would have thought for sure that he would have received far more extensive third degree burns- or just be plain toast.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His burns are not a small thing. Second deg / 40% is more than enough to die from. His survival depends on his age, the care he gets, his condition prior to the burning and pure luck. He could easly get an infection or have a systemic reaction. I whish him luck and hope he is getting the best care.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
His burns are not a small thing.
No doubt...but when suits are only rated to protect from 2nd degree burns for a matter of seconds, it's amazing to me that he escaped with "only" 2nd degree burns.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
George from MD
Drifting

"His burns are not a small thing. Second deg / 40% is more than enough to die from. His survival depends on his age, the care he gets, his condition prior to the burning and pure luck. He could easly get an infection or have a systemic reaction. I whish him luck and hope he is getting the best care."

Agree 100%. Hopefully I didn't sound like I diminished them I was surprised and happy they weren't alot worse.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I didn't say put the flame out, i was thinking it would be excellent to divert the flames away from the driver so that safety crews could reach in and save the guy, without being exposed to the random, engulfing flames.
Take a look at the pics. it looks like that when he was skidding to a stop, when he was facing into the oncoming air, the flames were behind him. when he wasnt, he was engulfed in flames. I bet he felt better out of the flames.

mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I had a similar thought the other day, so I invented a nifty tool for putting out the fire in your fireplace.

Works like a charm. Wait...nevermind.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I think that is a good idea!

how about this. how about a fire truck that has a fire hose that sprays more than a few quarts of water a minute! .

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Or just have one of these hovering on stand-by the entire race.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Are these factory lambo race cars, if so may be they should stick to their street cars.
I believe this is a Lamborghini-endorsed series, with Lamborghini-built cars. If they can F up safety equipment that badly, makes me wonder how our cars would hold up.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
dnitake
Racer

I've no fire training whatsoever, but was a first responder in a fire at a DE armed w/ nothing but a fire extinguisher. After emptying the bottle in 10 seconds, and realizing how futile it was, the next thing was "f*ck the car, where's the driver?". He was sitting on a rock and otherwise fine. The fire was SO hot just from the radiation. I still wonder had the driver been strapped in, there would have been no way to get him out the way I was dressed. To see a "trained" fireman fully suited spraying from behind the Armco is amazing. He's the one the guy grabbed the extinguisher from. Seems all the extinguishers should have been trained on the driver to keep him cool and open a path to get him out. But I realize how intense the situation is in one's mind as in WTF do I do? Training is key. Speedy and good recovery wishes.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I believe this is a Lamborghini-endorsed series, with Lamborghini-built cars. If they can F up safety equipment that badly, makes me wonder how our cars would hold up.

Yeah, my Gallardo dreams are just about gone... I think there have been more than a few street cars lost to mysterious fires.

I hope our p-cars are a little better built/designed. At least my car is A LOT slower than any Lambo (except maybe a Jalpa), and therefore should not be subjected to such high speed crash forces.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, that is sobering.

We saw Boris Said's car at Long Beach last year go up quick, he was pretty much fully engulfed at the end of the front straight by the time he was able to stop the car and crawl out of the car.

We were right at turn 1 when it happened-pretty hairy!

Quick Reply: Lambo Trofeo Driver, on fire