Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio CMS May 31-June 1 Any pointers first timer at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Mid Ohio CMS May 31-June 1 Any pointers first timer at the track.

First off, who is going to the upcoming Mid Ohio event with Chin Motorsports, May 31 - June 1? As I understand it there will be a few Continental Tire Teams practicing there.

This will be my first time at Mid Ohio. Thus far I've watched several laps on You Tube and practiced a bit on R-Factor at a friends house. Any Pointers?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd urge that you take a track walk with someone who knows the track. MidOhio is a great track but has as many nuisances as any track I've ever driven on. Back in the mid 90's I took a track walk with E. Paul Dickinson, as part of a school the MidOhio region of PCA was putting on, and the hour spent walking the track with Paul was eye opening.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave make sure to let me know how long it takes you to drive up there. I'd like to make that trip soon myself.

This is a Monday/Tuesday event?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
007DT
Drifting

Dez,

Yes. Monday Tuesday.

Steward,

Great suggestion. I'll be there early on Sunday so we'll see if there will be someone there to walk the track.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted some recent video in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ace-video.html

Here are a few tips off the top of my head:

Going faster in turn 1 will always have the most noticeable impact on your lap times. Stay off of the curbing on the inside separating the track from the pit out lane. Touching it will get the car out of shape and likely result in an OTE.

If running the club course turn 2 is a lot faster than you first think. No braking is required, and many cars can do it flat out.

Early throttle and a regular late apex exiting the Keyhole will carry maximum speed onto the straight.

The Kink on the back stretch isn't even really a turn. Don’t worry about the apex, and put the car anywhere you need to for passing or being passed. Unless its raining. Then it becomes a real turn and you need to apex it.

Carry lots of speed through turn 7 and track all the way out to maximize exit speed.

Throw turn 8 away in favor of fast exit out of 7 and a perfect, early throttle entrance into turn 9.

Go flat from turn 9 through 10A, and maybe 10B depending on the car.

Turn 11 into Thunder Valley rewards an early turn and apex. If you're not naturally tracking all the way out to the exit curbing you're not going fast enough.

If you're not naturally tracking all the way out to the exit curbing in turn 13 you need to carry more speed and/or turn in a bit earlier.

The line in the Carousel is pretty much the same as the Keyhole. Early throttle and normal late apex. Beware of the nasty bump exiting the Carousel.

Corners 8, 10 A/B, 11 and 13 are blind. You'll get used to it.

Turns 8 and 13 have negative camber on exit, with the pavement falling away a bit right where you need it. You'll get used to it.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
First off, who is going to the upcoming Mid Ohio event with Chin Motorsports, May 31 - June 1? As I understand it there will be a few Continental Tire Teams practicing there.

This will be my first time at Mid Ohio. Thus far I've watched several laps on You Tube and practiced a bit on R-Factor at a friends house. Any Pointers?

Thanks
Go to our PCA web morpca.org and down load the Mid Ohio School track Map Manual mult page PDF it provides a good corner by corner discription of the track and how to run it. This is the club course, If your running the pro course its all the same but no chicane. Then go to U tube and watch some video.

I have 50 plus track days at MO and I am still learning it. Best to get a ride if you can it will save you time and avoid getting run over. its a vary technical track.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

T1 is much, much faster than it appears. I have never run the Club course with the chicane after 1, only the Pro course which gives a long straightaway into the Keyhole, which is also a blast. The right hander at the end of the back straight is also much faster than it appears, and there are several quick lines from there up & over the following left.

Phenomenal track! Have fun, Dave!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
007DT
Drifting

Thanks for the input thus far.

Frank; I downloaded the PDF.. Looks to be thorough.

I'm actually set now to do some ride alongs the day before my event with the OH BMWCCA who will have the track this weekend. They were nice enough to offer me some right seat instruction and possible track time..

This is about as friendly a hobby as they come Besides boating, but your allowed to drink when you're doing that.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
Thanks for the input thus far.

Frank; I downloaded the PDF.. Looks to be thorough.

I'm actually set now to do some ride alongs the day before my event with the OH BMWCCA who will have the track this weekend. They were nice enough to offer me some right seat instruction and possible track time..

This is about as friendly a hobby as they come Besides boating, but your allowed to drink when you're doing that.
I hope your weather is warm and dry, and it should be as far as we know right now. if you do end up with a wet track the rain line at Mid ohio is anywhere where the dry line is not. it has a sealer on the corners on the line, real slick when wet. also in corners with no sealer the pavement is polished also slick when wet. (hope you don't need this).
You will find the pavement at MO vary smooth and easy on tires, its grippe and fun.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Jim said applies to first timers and vets alike. Thanks, Jim.
It also helps to have a big set to hang out the window sometimes.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio CMS May 31-June 1 Any pointers first timer at the track.